Locast update

The problem I see where the networks try to say they have copywrite priveledges is does it say in the program to be viewed that only one network or station can show the program. If not that means wide viewing. So that means copywrite for a network is out the door. So locast is in its rights to show any station. Don't understand why the lawyers don't use that in copywrite. As long as not in contract with anybody is free rain. Same as with programming if can't prove you invented it your out of luck. So if you do an indivitual show and don't say well this network is only to show it then how can they claim copywrite. Seems lawyers should be fighting that way. If you don't own the show how can you claim copywrite.

The problem I see where the networks try to say they have copywrite priveledges is does it say in the program to be viewed that only one network or station can show the program. If not that means wide viewing. So that means copywrite for a network is out the door. So locast is in its rights to show any station. Don't understand why the lawyers don't use that in copywrite. As long as not in contract with anybody is free rain. Same as with programming if can't prove you invented it your out of luck. So if you do an indivitual show and don't say well this network is only to show it then how can they claim copywrite. Seems lawyers should be fighting that way. If you don't own the show how can you claim copywrite.
Why would Locast argue program copyrights when 17 USC 111(a)(5) says that non-profits are exempt from copyright retransmission rules anyway?

Appeals..no trial

"What does partial summary judgment mean?"

"Definition. A partial summary judgment is a request by a litigant for summary judgment on some but not all claims or causes of action."

Reactions: Howard Simmons
E-mail just rec'd from locast...

Locast Nation
As you probably know, the federal district court in the Southern District of New York issued a ruling in the case brought against Locast by the big media companies. The court concluded that by interrupting programming to ask users for donations, and by suspending those interruptions based on whether a user makes contributions, Locast actually was charging a fee, not merely seeking a voluntary contribution. The court then concluded that revenues Locast collects in this manner exceed the cost of operating the service because funds are used to add new markets, rendering Locast ineligible to use the copyright exemption for non-profits (17 U.S.C. 111(a)(5)).
Although we disagree with this interpretation and are exploring our legal options to contest it, out of respect for the court's order,
Locast is suspending immediately all programming interruptions to request donations.​
This means that anyone located in a market we serve who signs up for Locast will get the service without interruption, regardless of whether or not they donate.
Of course, it is up to you whether or not to contribute to Locast. But if you currently contribute, we humbly request that you continue to do so. And if you don't contribute, we hope that you will do so if you can afford it.

Thank you

Appeals..no trial
In law, a summary judgment (also judgment as a matter of law or summary disposition) is a judgment entered by a court for one party and against another party summarily, i.e., without a full trial. Summary judgments may be issued on the merits of an entire case, or on discrete issues in that case. The formulation of the summary judgment standard is stated in somewhat different ways by courts in different jurisdictions. In the United States, the presiding judge generally must find there is "no genuine dispute as to any material fact and the movant is entitled to judgment as a matter of law

Dark font on copy/paste...
Here is screenshot

Screenshot_20210901-150059_Email.jpg

When I logged in this morning, it shows the following:

We are suspending operations, effective immediately.
As a non-profit, Locast was designed from the very beginning to operate in accordance with the strict letter of the law, but in response to the court’s recent rulings, with which we respectfully disagree, we are hereby suspending operations, effective immediately.

Just checked out of curiosity. On dish this message now appears on my Hopper when I "click" on the Locast app logo:

"Locast has suspended operations, and due to this, the Locast app will no longer be available on dish."

Let's see if Locast can work things out so they can resume operations.

Maybe this will work for some of us here: LocalBTV - Free Local TV

LocalBTV is a nice-enough streaming service, however, there's two big issues--the biggest one being there's no ABC, CBS, CW, Fox, MyTV, NBC, Telemundo, Univision, or UniMas available on there, and PBS' availability varies by market. If anything, even though LocalBTV started just before Locast did, BTV is/was more or less a complement to Locast, because the latter didn't give every subchannel that was available in your region. With BTV, you're only going to get whatever subchannels networks that are available in your market already--as an example, for the Los Angeles region (where I live), I would only get Cozi, Antenna TV, Circle, Buzzr, QVC, HSN, some Asian-languages channels, local independent KDOC, and most of the local PBS subchannels.

Secondly, LocalBTV is available in less places than where Locast was; right now, it's only available in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Phoenix, San Diego, Las Vegas Fresno, Monterey-Salinas CA, and Louisville.

Ouch. Can't say I am surprised though.
I too agree with you. All of the talk about using VPN'S to hide your location to steal programing that you were not entitled to based on one's location. Hey were talking about tv but this action also hurt Locast. I feel sure we are not the only ones that visit this site. Again I hope some how they come back. Did not intend to step on any one toes unless you should maybe feel just a little bit quilty

• Angry
Reactions: Redbullsnation
I too agree with you. All of the talk about using VPN'S to hide your location to steal programing that you were not entitled to based on one's location. Hey were talking about tv but this action also hurt Locast. I feel sure we are not the only ones that visit this site. Again I hope some how they come back. Did not intend to step on any one toes unless you should maybe feel just a little bit quilty
There is nothing illegal about receiving TV stations from outside your DMA. Millions of OTA watchers have done it for many years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)