Locked Cable Box Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gagurl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
in the world
I'm having a problem with getting Directv here at my apartment complex. The problem is the box is locked and Charter will not come open it. That's who I had services with and was trying to switch to Directv. My landlord says the apartment complex owns the box, but yet she doesn't have a key to it. Directv won't even touch the box. I know they have the tools needed to open it, but I cant get them to do it. And theres no way I can run new wires because the landlord wont allow them to drill in the apartment. I really don't see why I had to pay her $100 now. Charter keeps telling me they're going to come and unlock the box, but never do. I really want satellite service. Any suggestions :confused:

There's not a visible lock on it. It's something metal on the bottom of the box but kinda in the inside. You have to look up in it, it's in a circular hole. Hard to explain. I have no idea how to get something like that open believe me I tried

Can you take a picture of it?

Management is going to have to get involved if you can't get it unlocked yourself. The cable company cannot lock those demarcation boxes without permission from the landlord. They do not own them. It is also strange that your landlord does not have a key....

A good metal drill bit (machine shop worthy) will do the trick. Start with a 1/4" & then increment up until there is nothing left of the locking mechanism. That should do the trick.

I would not touch that box. The apartment complex could have a contract with Charter that stipulates that cable is to only be used by Charter. Secondly, that cable is being ran into the house and the lines are split. With SWM equipment, it might be possible.

As correctly mentioned by others, there are tools and techniques to get inside or cut those boxes out of the way. Further, as correctly stated above, once you are in the box it is the technique and nomenclature of the cable runs that will determine if you can actually use the existing cable. Home runs were required. The SWM equipment may work if the splitters are correct.

Then there is the installation of the dish. By electric code it must be bonded to the common ground for the building.
The dish location must be approved but in a location other that what you rent.
The landlord must approve this and all the other cabling to connect to your unit while assuring himself all this will not have an effect on other tenant systems.

Apartments are THE place for cable installations. Satellite systems are for "off plant" installations where cable cannot or will not go.

So I now ask, Is Directv that much better? HBO =HBO regardless of how it is delivered.

Joe

I would not touch that box. The apartment complex could have a contract with Charter that stipulates that cable is to only be used by Charter. Secondly, that cable is being ran into the house and the lines are split. With SWM equipment, it might be possible.

I agree he shouldn't touch the box. Could end up with big and expensive legal problems. If it were me, i'd just bide my time until my lease was up and then move to a DirecTV friendly apartment.

I agree he shouldn't touch the box. Could end up with big and expensive legal problems. If it were me, i'd just bide my time until my lease was up and then move to a DirecTV friendly apartment.

Well, since the OP already spoke with the landlord and determined that to not be the case. I say open it.

As correctly mentioned by others, there are tools and techniques to get inside or cut those boxes out of the way. Further, as correctly stated above, once you are in the box it is the technique and nomenclature of the cable runs that will determine if you can actually use the existing cable. Home runs were required. The SWM equipment may work if the splitters are correct.

Then there is the installation of the dish. By electric code it must be bonded to the common ground for the building.
The dish location must be approved but in a location other that what you rent.
The landlord must approve this and all the other cabling to connect to your unit while assuring himself all this will not have an effect on other tenant systems.

Apartments are THE place for cable installations. Satellite systems are for "off plant" installations where cable cannot or will not go.

So I now ask, Is Directv that much better? HBO =HBO regardless of how it is delivered.

Joe

I agree with alot of this Joe, but disagree whole heartedly about the "Apts are the place for Cable" comment.

I see D* and DISH dishes all over at most apt complexes everyday.

Thank you for all the replies but did u guys even read what I said?? The landlord told me she OWNS the box. When Directv came to install, he even spoke with my landlord and she told him he has permission to use the cable box. The problem is Charter is the only one with a key and they will not come open it. I looked at my neighbors box and they have Directv too. For some reason their cable box isn't locked and all the wires are hanging out. Directv told me if I can get my cables out the box they can hook it up.

You have all the info you need in order to get D* hooked up & get into the box. The rest is up to you.

Usually those boxes do not lock very well. You should be able to take a big screwdriver and force it open, or even force it open with your hands without causing damage to the box.

Or the other option is to order basic service from time Warner and when the technician opens the box up, push your cable out the bottom so you can identify it.

Cancel the cable after they hook you up

Thank you for all the replies but did u guys even read what I said?? The landlord told me she OWNS the box. When Directv came to install, he even spoke with my landlord and she told him he has permission to use the cable box. The problem is Charter is the only one with a key and they will not come open it. I looked at my neighbors box and they have Directv too. For some reason their cable box isn't locked and all the wires are hanging out. Directv told me if I can get my cables out the box they can hook it up.

Somebody is WRONG here, IF the Landlord truly own the box (I'm not sure which way it goes) they would have the key somewhere , maybe they have misplaced it and want the cable company to open it, or the box belongs to the Cable company ( I think thats more likely actually)...
In the phone business, we have boxes on the buildings that clearly have our name on them, the cable company does NOT have access, however there are not locked with a key, also the Cable company when hooking up thier phone service run thier own equipment to a phone jack and disconnect our stuff at THAT point.

The only issue I have with it is that the sub pays attention when the Cable guy does it so when they come back they KNOW which jack they got into.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts