GEOSATpro Locking channel names in MicroHD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
Is there a way I can stop the MicroHD from overwriting channel names?

I've renamed lots of channels from things like "Service 2" to "Univision WY" but that now means I cannot blind scan the satellite without losing them.

The "lock channel name" feature in the Mediabox Editor ("The official editor of the MicroHD") appears to get ignored. I think I was once told to make the service ID "0" in the ALI Editor, but I think last time I did that I boot-looped the box.

If there is a way of doing this from the remote control, without touching a PC editor, I would be very pleased.

Edit your .udf file wih one of the editors, and change the channel SID to 0 (zero). That will lock the channel name. IF the satellite is re-scanned, it'll create another channel with whatever original name they are broadcasting instead of overwriting and renaming the original one

There is no other way to do it that I'm aware of, including the remote.

Wow, this MediaBox editor is a disaster.

I made all my unassigned satellites favorites and de-favorited all my stored satellites. And it's removed the Diseqc setting from all of the previous favorites.

All I did was update a single channel. Geez.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's been said to remove those settings before. I'm surprised you never read a posting to that effect.

Use the Ali Editor instead, and it won't do that if I remember correctly.

Yup, just figured that out and found the post talking about Mediabox.

ALI seems better anyway. I can list by satellite and make the changes I want to make.

Thanks again.

...And it's removed the Diseqc setting from all of the previous favorites. All I did was update a single channel. Geez.
I agree with primestar31. I used to do this regularly with my S9 and it always worked without any problems. Though with the S9 on the house network, I can do this in about 2 minutes using upload/download over the LAN. I also did it using the remote controller on my Coolsat 7000. I've only used the Mediabox editor two times since I refuse to go through re-entering the USALS setting for every satellite activated. Mediabox always defaults motor setting to OFF regardless how it is configured using the editor. Not sure why there isn't a choice for at least a global setting to allow you to set all satellites for a common motor setting as some receivers have. It would be clever if new receiver designers learned from past mistakes of receiver designers and implemented clever things at the initial design. Every satellite user complains about Martyn's discovered symptom.

Every satellite user complains about Martyn's discovered symptom.

Every single satellite user... Isn't that a bit too vague? There's more than just ALI based boxes out there you know. How about non FTA satellite users such as DTH satellite subscribers?

It is easy to complain and dogpile on a forum... If you find that MES is lacking, have you contacted the author? I know that he is very responsive to user requests and also participates on several forums.

MES is a third party, Swissknife tool designed for managing data between many brands and models. I use MES frequently to translate from ChannelMaster and other STBs. It has incredible features that have saved me hundreds of hours of manual input, sorting, etc. I can't imagine managing databases on different brands and chipsets without it! All posts have been correct to observe that not all functions are supported for every STB, but there are no other free editor programs available with this many options.

Someday you might find a list with tons of duplicate transponders, channels, or formatted for a different receiver. Maybe you want to compare two lists for changes or sort by provider, polarity, position, etc. I am sure that you will then be singing the praises for this free software!

In the real world, we find the correct tool that accomplishes the job without making additional work. Maybe for the quick task of changing a SID to zero, the ALI based editor is the best tool for the simple change!

Is there a way I can stop the MicroHD from overwriting channel names?
If there is a way of doing this from the remote control, without touching a PC editor, I would be very pleased.
From the remote, I add a new TP, change the frequency and symbol rate each by 1 from what the box scans in, and scan the new TP and make favorite the duplicate channel. Edit the name and it's permanent. Example 11820 H 30000 becomes 11819 H 30001. Or whatever. In the real world this works.

Brian,

Thanks for the response. I guess I can't complain the a free piece of software doesn't do everything perfectly.

I am surprised that it managed to get named the "official" editor, when it fails on such a basic task. If it had been advertised as "the most capable editor we've found, but be aware it will change your satellite settings" then I would have nothing to complain about, but to me "official" denotes a level of approval and compatibility.

Anyway, just my two cents. I switched to the ALI editor, but might use toucan-man's second transponder method.

Martyn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)