Logitech google tv will DISH have an NEW LOWER price?????

Will google tv ever really take off

Define 'take off' ? There aren't really many things like this that have done well, it's fairly niche. Last I read GoogleTV is roughly as popular as AppleTV.

Keep in mind it's not just in the Revue, it's in a Sony TV and BD player too, and a number of other hardware partners are waiting to release their products pending the release of Honeycomb.

I don't see it going anywhere, and even if it did there's a lot of value and worth getting if it's remotely something you're interested in.

At $179 or even close to it, it isn't going to sell. There just isn't enough in it to make it worth that kind of money. It literally is no better and maybe even worse, than some of the other boxes out there, especially when you consider that many TVs and BluRay players are coming with much of the same functionality. At $99 it has a chance of selling better and is a decent competitor to the AppleTV.

But meStevo is correct, there's not a lot of value in them and they aren't ever going to sell in big numbers.

when they build version 2.0 with a better CPU, maybe.. or at least that is the impression I get from just barely keeping up with the reviews for Rev 1.

Sounds like maybe the SW wasn't really ready either... Google told manuf's to delay any future designs until they could work on things more.

a) I hope it doesn't die
b) I'm opposed to the $4/month fee.. unless I get the unit for free... $48/year does eventually add up
c) if Apple would release AppleTV with the A5 chip for $99, I'd probably snap that up instead (even tho I'm an Android fan), once it got a jailbreak

do any of these support an external BluRay player?

Wonder if and when dish will get up to speed with the price drop. Hmmmmm
Yes, we get that you're wondering. You don't need to post it several times a week.

I suspect that they either have a contract price or they bought a bunch of them on speculation. Then again, maybe they're just waiting for enough people to complain directly to them (as opposed to dribbling all over the Internet) about the price.

The current revue will get an official honeycomb update, which brings numerous improvements. It is a good buy at $99. However, I don't see why it matters if Dish lowers the price. You can buy it from anyplace you want (Amazon for me). It will be a good add on for my bedroom TV, to give me Netflix, etc... My main TV has all that built in.

At $179 it's still a lot of money for someone to add to a home enterainment system. $179 would significantly put a dent in the networkable stereo receiver I want to purchase for my home enterainment center.
Consider going with a standalone streamer. Much easier and safer to update and usually a whole lot cheaper to replace.

The current revue will get an official honeycomb update, which brings numerous improvements. It is a good buy at $99. However, I don't see why it matters if Dish lowers the price. You can buy it from anyplace you want (Amazon for me). It will be a good add on for my bedroom TV, to give me Netflix, etc... My main TV has all that built in.

People are holding out hope that they'll get it cheaper than $99 from Dish is why.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.991691,-115.142152

I just got mine from best buy for 99 bucks. Simple to hook up and is a slick add on to my tv. I thought $179 WAS TO MUCH! $99 bucks is more like it!

Do you have a source about the new Revue?

Check the other thread on this. Logitech has said from the beginning that a second generation is coming and that they are banking on that system to be the one that takes off.

I still think we are better off with a Popbox for local content or an AppleTV or Roku for netflix.....Popbox was a piece of crap when it first came out but now it is rock solid and is the best network streamer for the money.

meStevo said:
The biggest deal about the Revue is it's an overlay. It passes the signal through to the TV and there's no switching to a different signal source to use it. You can hit picture in picture, open a web browser, look up that person on IMDB that you swear you remember what else they were in and then hit PIP again without missing anything.

Toss in Netflix, Amazon Streaming, some mediocre network streaming, and then hit or miss performance from other services like HBO Go, Crackle and others and that's basically the Revue.

It does some spiffy guide and show searching stuff, and that's also boosted by the Dish's 'we should charge a fee for that' service that just provides the unit with access to the contents of your DVR so they can be surfaced during relevant searches.

It offers a lot more than you think. For example, with the full browser I was able to stream a UFC fight for free in HD! Don't ask me how, but it was easy. Anyway, it offers EpixHD online, which us cool. Again, using the browser, you can access and use DishOnline and play everything. And the best advantage of all is when you integrate the Revue with a VIP722, you now have a wireless connection for your receiver, because it gets it's Internet from the Revue. Cool!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)