Long LNB Cable

chapcory

Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
I'm getting the HD package in Puerto Rico, two dishes: 1 -4 foot , 1- 5 foot.

The installers are telling me my cable length limit is 40 feet from dish to receiver.
Installation manuals i have seen say 100, even 200 feet.

Is he being cheap/lazy?
TIA,
chap

Both

The installers are telling me my cable length limit is 40 feet from dish to receiver.

Is he being cheap/lazy?
TIA,
chap

He is being both 100 ft is no problem. The 40 ft is really a very short run. What sats are on the 2 dishes. To get HD down there I would think that you will need to be pointed at 3 sats (61.5/110/119).

Legacy = 100 feet (can go farther than that), DishPro can go 150 feet, DishPro Plus can go 200 feet. If you have switches then you will be limited even more to how much further you can run the cable until you run into problems with it switching. Running a cable for each lnbf (each orbital slot) that you are receiving to the switch at the house will help with that.

Is he being cheap/lazy?
TIA,
chap

Mine is 125 feet. lol. Works fine. My trees are in the way to put it at 40 you must be clear. :)

Legacy = 100 feet (can go farther than that), DishPro can go 150 feet, DishPro Plus can go 200 feet. If you have switches then you will be limited even more to how much further you can run the cable until you run into problems with it switching. Running a cable for each lnbf (each orbital slot) that you are receiving to the switch at the house will help with that.

I thought legacy was 150' and DP/DPP was 200'?

That's what I thought too. DP and DPP have the same limitation of 200 ft. Legacy, I thought it was 100' but it will work at 150' with no problems.

Not sure what you mean by Legacy & DP/DPP, but I just had the 622 installed on my existing 300'+ runs from old Starband install, and it works. Not great, a little slow in some channel changes, but it works.

different LNB's

Not sure what you mean by Legacy & DP/DPP, but I just had the 622 installed on my existing 300'+ runs from old Starband install, and it works. Not great, a little slow in some channel changes, but it works.

Legacy Dp, & DPP are different types of LNB's. Legacy is the oldest same as a Directv unit. DP is more recent and the DPP is the Dish Pro + units which are the newest. They can't be mixed on most systems. Maybe someone else can explain the exact ability to mix them on which systems they will work.

Legacy Dp, & DPP are different types of LNB's. Legacy is the oldest same as a Directv unit. DP is more recent and the DPP is the Dish Pro + units which are the newest. They can't be mixed on most systems. Maybe someone else can explain the exact ability to mix them on which systems they will work.
On mixing and not mixing LNBF's - this applies to Dish Network LNBF's and/or receivers.

Forget about DishPro Plus for a minute or two.

You can use legacy LNBF's with legacy switches, but you can not put either a DishPro (DP) LNBF or DP switch in the mix. These items uses 13 volts and 18 volts to switch between polarities of the ODD and EVEN Transponders (Odd = Right Circular or Vertical Linear polarity, and Even = Left Circular or Horizontal Linear polarity). After about 100 feet, or less with poor cables, the 18 volts drops down before getting to the (legacy) LNBF; so when the voltage drops to below 15 volts you end up with only Odd Transponders. But most important, only one polarity can be sent down the cable at the same time, since both polarities ride down the line between 950 MHz and 1450 MHz.

You can use DishPro LNBF's with DishPro Switches, but you can not add any legacy switches or legacy LNBF's in the mix. These systems uses DiSEqC commands that ride on a 22 KHz tone to switch between the ODD and EVEN Transponders. This signal uses 19 volts, but the voltage can drop down to about 10.5 volts and still work. So 200' cable runs with good cable are not a problem. Most important, is both polarities can ride down the same cable at the same time, Odd Transponders between 950 MHz and 1450 MHz, while Even Transponders are between 1650 MHz and 2150 MHz.
(It was kc for Kilo-Cycles and mc for Mega-Cycles when I grew up.:D )

SuperDish 105 and SuperDish 121...
These dishes have a FSS combo LNBF on the cluster with a DP Dual on the side. I don't believe the FSS combo LNBF is called a DishPro LNBF, but it is compatible as a DishPro LNBF when configuring a LNBF/Switch setup.

RECEIVERS:
I don't know, but some legacy receivers may have received a software upgrade to use DishPro technology. However, the DishPro receivers are backwards compatible, they can either send the 13V/18V to switch legacy LNBF/Switch setups, or can use DiSEqC commands (22 KHz tone).

Now DishPro Plus...
Basically the same as DishPro, but can do a little extra, like send two Right Polarity signals from two orbital locations at the same time down a single cable, provided you meet the "DishPro Plus 3 Rule" of 3 pieces of DPP equipment, and includes:
- DishPro Plus Twin LNBF
- DishPro Plus 44 Switch
- DishPro Plus Separator
- All Dual Tuner Receivers are called DishPro Plus receivers

Even though DishPro Plus technology is compatible with DishPro technology, you can not connect one DPP Twin as a wing dish into another DPP Twin and feed a receiver.

There's a little more to this and there's a lot more info available if you really want to know.
Intro to DishPro Tech: http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...ments/Introduction_to_DISH_Pro_Technology.pdf
Quick Facts on DPP: http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...ments/QuickFacts-DISH_Pro_Plus_Technology.pdf
Multiple Documents: http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp

EDIT:
Since I mentioned DiSEqC commands. There are DeSEqC switches used by the FTA world. Can you use these on DP receivers. Generally no, and you are probably asking for trouble. However, when I was trouble shooting a DP34 and DPP44, I did take a DiSEqC switch and connect it to a 311 which worked; as well as took 2 DiSEqC switches with 4 DP Splitters and connect them to a ViP622 which worked. The only problem I had was the power requirement of the SuperDish 121 liked to burn up the DiSEqC switches.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)