Long time D* exploring change to FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mufonga

Sep 8, 2008
I have had direct tv for years now, but the slow price increase for programing is up to $140.00 per month.

I do not know anything about FTA.

Can I get FTA HD?
Can I use the same dish?
The cost of HD receivers, I need 5.
Any advice, should I change?

Free to air is not really a direct substitute for DirecTV or Dish Network. Click on the link "The List!" at the top of the page and take a look around to get a feel for what channels are available FTA.

Question about FTA channels

Hi,
Hope you don't mind if I get in on this discussion...I too am considering FTA (only as a hobby not as a substitute for my D service. I live in CT zip 06801, can't decide if I should settle for a fixed dish or motorized, talked to one installer who was pushing fixed because he said it was much simpler but would limit the # of satellites. Can anyone guess whether I'm likely to get more than one satellite with a fixed at my location. Or would you recommend a motorized dish/rec/ set up. I was thinking on a 31" dish but the installer rec. a 36"?? Any rec. on receivers? Thanks!!

Hi,
Or would you recommend a motorized dish/rec/ set up. I was thinking on a 31" dish but the installer rec. a 36"?? Any rec. on receivers? Thanks!!

I definitely recommend the 36" over the 31" dish , that size is definitely the best buy for your buck.

As to motorizing the dish or leaving it stationary , one satellite is never enough and eventually you'll want to see what your missing elsewhere.

I started out with a Coolsat 5000 ( I originally paid $170 ) which can be found on Ebay for as low as $35 , great receiver quick blindscan and I love the Channel Master editing compatibility.

many answers

Here is a recent thread with many of the same questions, and great answers.
Give it a read, at least down to post #15, where there are pictures of a BUD.
You can stop there. ;)
Should give anyone wanting to get into FTA some great beginner-advice.

I'm sure you'll have other questions, so feel free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)