Long time user needs new equipment

LindainTX

Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
It is time to upgrade. My 612 receiver came up with a hard disk failure message this morning. While the receiver itself is just a bit over a year old, the dish is probably 15 years old, and it only gets 2 sats. (DishProPlus Twin, I have written down somewhere.)

Since my husband has started complaining about the lack of HD, I am thinking we should bite the bullet and upgrade our system.

Problem is, I have always bought my equipment (starting at the very beginning, way back in the 1990's) and have always self-installed. Things are a lot more complex now, from what I am reading. It is still feasible for me to install and aim a dish myself? And then what should I buy? Our needs are not great. We are a single TV family, don't need or want any of the fancy remote viewing stuff. Need to be able to record and playback TV. What dish? What receiver?

Location is in the greater Houston metro area (zip:77429.) I started trying to read the forums to research, but it has been so long since I had to buy a new dish (back when the second sat was launched!!!), I don't think I am even sure of the questions I need to find answers for!

Your receiver is capable of viewing and recording HD content, you may just not have the proper LNB to get the HD Signal. The current model LNB that we use in your area is the "DPP 1000.2/4 WA Triple" which houses 3 orbital receptacles, needless to say you would need the corresponding 1000.2/4 antenna. Installation will not be much different than your current set up.

There are newer receivers that we would be able to provide by either leasing or selling the equipment to you. The perk if you purchase a receiver from us directly is there is no contract and we will provide you with the new antenna if its needed. If you lease the receiver from us then there would be a contract.

I strongly recommend leasing. As you know, the resale value today of a ViP612 is "don't bother."

For little or nothing, Dish will put you in a HWS or H3. If you don't do OTA, I recommend the H3 with its 16 tuners and new/young hardware.

Reactions: KAB
I strongly recommend leasing. As you know, the resale value today of a ViP612 is "don't bother."

For little or nothing, Dish will put you in a HWS or H3. If you don't do OTA, I recommend the H3 with its 16 tuners and new/young hardware.
and even if you do, in fact, do OTA, I'd go for the H3. That flaky OTA recording issue seems to be getting fixed as we've been told here recently.

Thanks folks - I really am not interested in leasing. Never have, don't see any reason to start now. More than that, though, I am not seeing what a hopper is going to get me - this is a one TV setup, we watch one show at a time, most of what gets recorded is sports stuff to be watched ASAP and then deleted. No interest in streaming from the net, no interest in taking TV on the road. Not worried about resale (I keep equipment until it dies on me, and then I trash it.) As far as my husband goes, simple and easy is the way to go!

If there is a significant different in quality, that's a different story. But I just don't see any need for the features of the hopper. Am I missing something? The idea of being able to use an external hard drive is new to me, so that is a factor - but isn't that available on the 612?

If you don't go up to the Hopper, I'd suggest at least a 722 which has the same interface you're used to and more hard drive space than the 612. DVR fee would be the same as well, while it'll be higher with the Hopper.

I understand your aversion to leasing over buying, which in most cases it is better to buy, but as a long time customer that appears will continue to remain a customer for a while, in this case leasing is better as you won't have any upfront costs with leasing and the monthly costs would be the same as buying regardless.

Reactions: DWS44
If you don't want a commitment to DISH or if you are a "mover" to get another towns locals, then buying makes sense. I have been one that buys all my receivers and been installing them myself since last decade. But soon will be locked in to a two year commitment to get the price lock on the Flex pack price come November.

Reactions: charlesrshell
this is a one TV setup, we watch one show at a time, most of what gets recorded is sports stuff to be watched ASAP and then deleted.

As far as my husband goes, simple and easy is the way to go!

That's two good two reasons I would agree that the Hopper might not be your best bet here. Like dare2be mentions above, I would go for a 722k as your replacement. It is the last and best of the old ViP series, and would probably perform at least a little better/faster than your 612.

That last comment also makes me think that "change" might not be very appreciated by your husband. The other benefit of a 722k is that it retains the same "simple and easy" interface that you are used to from the 612, whereas the Hopper would be a learning curve of a whole new interface, different remote controls, etc.

Reactions: Troch77 and oljim
I agree above.
If you are happy with a 612, than a 722 would be even better, and it wouldn't cost you $15 a month like a Hopper would.
While the Hopper 3 records 16 things yes, But most people don't do that kind of recording.
Our family of 4 doesn't even record that much.
6 tuners works just fine.
With Netflix and On demand thats my recording.

I don't archive my movies on a Machine that is useless without a service provider.
I use things called DVD, and Blu-ray disks.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

For someone who "keep equipment until it dies on me, and then I trash it", I see absolutely no advantage to buying your own equipment.

Reactions: navychop
Buying saves you no money whatsoever.

Wiring the Hopper series is different than the earlier receivers. And Hoppers will be newer hardware. All VIPs are getting long in the tooth. Those HDDs don't last forever.

Best of luck in your decision.

Reactions: JSheridan
Just to be sure you understand the 612 is an HD receiver. If you are not getting HD programs you need to contact either a DIRT member here or call a local DISH installer and have them look at your account. Perhaps you are not connected to the correct Satellites.

Also, there is no reason especially in your case to lease as there is no cost savings, why pay for something DISH will give you to use for free. By doing everything yourself It would appear you have missed out on HD for quite sometime, something that costs no more money. Just have someone get you set up correctly.
Be very certain - over cautious to keep the receiver cool. Don't have it in an enclosure, nothing blocking any sides at all. My 612's have been excellent over the years as long as they are kept from overheating so if you just want another 612 you could do that. The 722 would give you a larger hard drive and a way to connect a second TV that would get SD programming. It would not cost any more per month.
None of what you want should result in a new contract, I would be strong on that if it is said you need one.

HOWEVER .... DISH now has a current subscriber discount program. If you sign a new two year contract and pay with autopay you can get $15 off a month for all 24 months of the contract with the Top packages 120+ and above and have no package price increase over that time. If you are going to that anyway, then a new contract with the install does not matter.

I'm anti-commitment. What can I say? <G> Never been on a cell phone contract, either.

Looks like the 722k is out best choice. Thanks for all the input!
You will also need the WA dish (1000.2) and lnb. Just getting the 722k won't get you more HD. Since you are receiving 110 & 119, you need to add 129.

Reactions: navychop
I'm anti-commitment. What can I say? <G> Never been on a cell phone contract, either.

Looks like the 722k is out best choice. Thanks for all the input!

In the past I would more understand that. With the new system if $15 a month savings isn't needed by you it makes it easier to be anti-commitment. I signed my first contract with them in - well almost since forever to get the discount and guaranteed price for two years. Combined with them dropping channels to the Top 200 from the Top 250 so 'i could drop to the Top 200 I now save $25 a month, $600 over two years so that's my commitment.... :)

Yeah, it's a tradeoff of commitments. You get a commitment from them for a free upgrade of receiver and $15 off for 2 years (a $360 + receiver cost value), in exchange they get a 2-year longevity commitment from you.

Reactions: Tampa8
I agree above.
If you are happy with a 612, than a 722 would be even better, and it wouldn't cost you $15 a month like a Hopper would.
While the Hopper 3 records 16 things yes, But most people don't do that kind of recording.
Our family of 4 doesn't even record that much.
6 tuners works just fine.
With Netflix and On demand thats my recording.

I don't archive my movies on a Machine that is useless without a service provider.
I use things called DVD, and Blu-ray disks.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Hey torch, your on DBSTalk right?