Longtime Comcast/Xfinity Subscriber switching to DISH on 11/28 - What to expect?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jeanne38654

Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
MidSouth
We are long time cable subscribers making the switch to Dish tomorrow. Feeling a bit nervous about it, lol...I still have time to change my mind, but thought I'd through some questions out.

First, some background: We currently have every channel Xfinity offers - which, in our market, is quite a bit (for example, all our premium channels are in HD - used to be just 1 HBO but sometime back in the summer I realized - literally overnight - that we suddenly had TONS more HD channels, including all the HBOs Showtimes, etc....So, we aren't switching to Dish primarily to increase HD channels. We are switching for a variety of other reasons - i.e, Comcast/Xfinity is just awful to deal with, their pricing is outrageous, and also I resent that I can't access HBO GO via my Roku with them. The Xfinity set up box HBO on Demand is QUITE limited - I pay for HBO, I own a Roku - I want to be able to access that fabulous library. We also are very excited to experience the Hopper and all it offers.

Now, my concerns:

1.) We RARELY (i.e., only sports) watch live tv. We either DVR a show, or watch On-Demand - however, we don't really watch xfinity on-demand much anymore, instead we tend to use Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, or any number of channels off the Roku or the Blu-Ray. Vudu's pricing for video rentals is (usually) cheaper than Xfinity's (of course it is!) and there is a ton of free content off the Roku. However, from time to time we do utilize the Xfinity On Demand services because - well, it's simply vast and sometimes that's the only place to find a particular film or show. We are used to watching these *instantly*. With Dish VOD, I have read that we have to download first - then watch? That's not really our style, but then I wondered: How fast is that download? Are we talking about having to pre-plan an evening or just a slight delay while downloading/buffering (similar to say, Netflix)? And, how does that work with our broadband anyway - I assume the Hopper just connects via wi-fi (like the blu-ray or roku)? And, can the hopper stream multiple VOD - i.e., sometimes when we entertain there will be young kids in our bedroom watching Netflix while the adults are upstairs watching something else on Vudu - will that be an issue? Or will we need to have the Joey in the bedroom hardwired (via ethernet) to the router (that is also in the bedroom)?

2.) HD Quality - This is very important to us and I've recently read an article on a Home Theater blog that basically compared Dish to Xfinity Quality and said there were indeed perceived differences. We are VERY happy with the HD quality with Xfinity - I just assumed when I made this decision that Dish would be about the same, maybe better. Now I'm concerned. Feedback?

3.) Used to have a multitude of TVs but with 3 kids all off at college (and taking their TVs with them) - it's just the hubby and me now and we only have two - one in the master, and an HD projector set up in the media room (ok, hubby calls it his man cave, but I digress). We primarily watch TV in that room - by primarily I mean pretty much always. Should I expect any issues with installation with a non-traditional "TV" (i.e., separate hook up to the Bose system for sound, HDMI hook up to the projector, etc...)

Thanks for your feedback!!

We are long time cable subscribers making the switch to Dish tomorrow. Feeling a bit nervous about it, lol...I still have time to change my mind, but thought I'd through some questions out.

First, some background: We currently have every channel Xfinity offers - which, in our market, is quite a bit (for example, all our premium channels are in HD - used to be just 1 HBO but sometime back in the summer I realized - literally overnight - that we suddenly had TONS more HD channels, including all the HBOs Showtimes, etc....So, we aren't switching to Dish primarily to increase HD channels. We are switching for a variety of other reasons - i.e, Comcast/Xfinity is just awful to deal with, their pricing is outrageous, and also I resent that I can't access HBO GO via my Roku with them. The Xfinity set up box HBO on Demand is QUITE limited - I pay for HBO, I own a Roku - I want to be able to access that fabulous library. We also are very excited to experience the Hopper and all it offers.

Now, my concerns:

1.) We RARELY (i.e., only sports) watch live tv. We either DVR a show, or watch On-Demand - however, we don't really watch xfinity on-demand much anymore, instead we tend to use Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, or any number of channels off the Roku or the Blu-Ray. Vudu's pricing for video rentals is (usually) cheaper than Xfinity's (of course it is!) and there is a ton of free content off the Roku. However, from time to time we do utilize the Xfinity On Demand services because - well, it's simply vast and sometimes that's the only place to find a particular film or show. We are used to watching these *instantly*. With Dish VOD, I have read that we have to download first - then watch? That's not really our style, but then I wondered: How fast is that download? Are we talking about having to pre-plan an evening or just a slight delay while downloading/buffering (similar to say, Netflix)? And, how does that work with our broadband anyway - I assume the Hopper just connects via wi-fi (like the blu-ray or roku)? And, can the hopper stream multiple VOD - i.e., sometimes when we entertain there will be young kids in our bedroom watching Netflix while the adults are upstairs watching something else on Vudu - will that be an issue? Or will we need to have the Joey in the bedroom hardwired (via ethernet) to the router (that is also in the bedroom)?

2.) HD Quality - This is very important to us and I've recently read an article on a Home Theater blog that basically compared Dish to Xfinity Quality and said there were indeed perceived differences. We are VERY happy with the HD quality with Xfinity - I just assumed when I made this decision that Dish would be about the same, maybe better. Now I'm concerned. Feedback?

3.) Used to have a multitude of TVs but with 3 kids all off at college (and taking their TVs with them) - it's just the hubby and me now and we only have two - one in the master, and an HD projector set up in the media room (ok, hubby calls it his man cave, but I digress). We primarily watch TV in that room - by primarily I mean pretty much always. Should I expect any issues with installation with a non-traditional "TV" (i.e., separate hook up to the Bose system for sound, HDMI hook up to the projector, etc...)

Thanks for your feedback!!

Hi Jeanne,

Ill give you my take.

Equipment: Dish has some of the best technology on the market today.
As you might have heard the new Hopper dvrs from dish do some very cool things.
Auto Hop, you can automatically skip prime time programming the following
day of its original showing.
Primetime: dish Hoppers automatically records (major networks only) prime time
shows. Without eating into your recording time.

Vod: You need an internet connection to have access to all of dish Vod
service. Depending on your internet speed, the download times vary.
Its fairly fast but buffering does occur.
I still feel dish is not great in this area. Uverse and Cable have Vod thats instant.
Dish has lagg in this area. If this is important to you, cable wins hands down in this area.

HD quality: Ive seen Comcast recently. It looks very good.
Dish with the new Hoppers ive seen the HD picture improve.
The quality s top notch.
In my opinion id say they are even in HD picture.

Customer service: Ive had my gripes with dish. No service
is perfect. That said, I think they have a fair price for an excellent product.
They will work with you!

My biggest complaint is that they have lots of programming disputes.
They like to pull channels when a dispute is ongoing. Yes, they
all do it but dish much more than most. Heads up on this one.

Your hookup sounds fairly basic.
A hopper in your master watching area. A joey in the man cave.
You can add another joey later if needed.

Make sure you ask for some new customer
specials. Let them know your coming from Comcast.
Ask them whats they best new customer offers right now.
Possibly get a free Hopper, Joe and free install??

Hope this helped.
Enjoy!
Joel

Last edited:
Your post seems to have a negative undertone to it towards DISH. DISH is going to be a change of operating systems.

AT time of installation you will enter into a 2YR. contract no trial period. If you don't like it you are stuck using it for 24 mo. My suggestion is for your frame of mind cancel and stay with what you are very happy with.

Hi Jeanne,

(snip)

Vod: You need an internet connection to have access to all of dish Vod
service. Depending on your internet speed, the download times vary.
Its fairly fast but buffering does occur.
I still feel dish is not great in this area. Uverse and Cable have Vod thats instant.
Dish has lagg in this area. If this is important to you, cable wins hands down in this area.

HD quality: Ive seen Comcast recently. It looks very good.
Dish with the new Hoppers ive seen the HD picture improve.
The quality s top notch.
In my opinion id say they are even in HD picture.

(snip)
Hope this helped.
Enjoy!
Joel
Thanks, Joel!

Yes, the VOD worries me. We have very fast broadband though, and if DISH VOD is comparable to say, Netflix or Vudu, then we should be ok. If it's not, then we'll def have a problem (egads!)

Glad to hear you think the HD quality will suffice!!

We did get a pretty good deal new customer deal! Can't complain there at all ;-) But I think that's nothing special for us - I think that's just their current promotion (we received free hopper, joey, installation, 3 months premium channels credit and an American Express Gift Card).

Last edited:
Your post seems to have a negative undertone to it towards DISH. DISH is going to be a change of operating systems.

AT time of installation you will enter into a 2YR. contract no trial period. If you don't like it you are stuck using it for 24 mo. My suggestion is for your frame of mind cancel and stay with what you are very happy with.

Not negative so much as hesitant ;-) And you hit the nail on the head as to why: I've never had to have a "contract" for video/TV content. So yes, that's worrisome. However, my justification is this (help me out if I'm wrong on this): We own a vacation home on the beach. I figure if for any reason I just can't stand DISH here, could I not simply move the service to our vacation home, drop down to the basic package and add HBO a la cart and go back to Comcast here at the primary residence? I asked that question and the rep seemed to think that was doable. I specifically asked if my contract was for a service "period" (2 years) or for a specific pricing tier. He said it's just for the period and I can drop to any tier I want. He also said I can move the service.

Now, if that's not true, or if there are some catches I should know about, please educate me!

Having said all that, I truly am looking forward to the service - not trying to be negative at all, just want to manage my expectations. Again, VOD could be a factor if it's like a 15 minute download just to see a preview. But my broadband is fast, so as long as DISH servers are comparable to say...Netlfix or Vudu, etc., it shouldn't be an issue. Do you have any experience along those lines you can share with me? Thanks!

Before they "upgraded" the software on our 612s and 722's, you could read out the bandwidth used. I was seeing over 8Mbps bandwidth consumption on Internet VOD. I have Cox broadband and generally get over 30Mbps down. Starting up a program on a Dish receiver might take a few seconds, but thereafter I had no issue watching HD movies without pauses to buffer.

What about sports?

I pulled up my tv listing here: http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?fromTimeInMillis=1354154400000&aid=dish and it shows The Memphis Grizzlies game tomorrow night at 8pm. But, it also says it's under a channel listed as part of NBA League Pass.

Now, via cable, this game is aired on Sports South - no need to pay extra for it. But I may be willing to pay extra for access to these games. But then I read that even if you pay for NBA some games are blacked out. I then went to the mydish/gamefinder page and noticed that this game is indeed blacked out. But, is it blacked out even if you pay for the NBA pass? Just trying to figure this out!!

And by the way - How do black outs work? I mean, obviously there is something different about Sports South channel via DISH (which exists, but is showing a different game) versus Sports South channel via Xfinity (showing the Memphis game).

Not negative so much as hesitant ;-) And you hit the nail on the head as to why: I've never had to have a "contract" for video/TV content. So yes, that's worrisome. However, my justification is this (help me out if I'm wrong on this): We own a vacation home on the beach. I figure if for any reason I just can't stand DISH here, could I not simply move the service to our vacation home, drop down to the basic package and add HBO a la cart and go back to Comcast here at the primary residence? I asked that question and the rep seemed to think that was doable. I specifically asked if my contract was for a service "period" (2 years) or for a specific pricing tier. He said it's just for the period and I can drop to any tier I want. He also said I can move the service.

Now, if that's not true, or if there are some catches I should know about, please educate me!

Having said all that, I truly am looking forward to the service - not trying to be negative at all, just want to manage my expectations. Again, VOD could be a factor if it's like a 15 minute download just to see a preview. But my broadband is fast, so as long as DISH servers are comparable to say...Netlfix or Vudu, etc., it shouldn't be an issue. Do you have any experience along those lines you can share with me? Thanks!

I think your being realistic not negative. You are getting locked into a 2 year deal.
These sat companies are not thrilled with letting you out of these contracts.
Of course it will cost you to break a contract.

Download speeds are real good. It starts almost immediately. Fast forwarding
ability has a slight lag due to buffering. It takes me roughly 15 to 20 minutes
to fully download a movie. However you can start watching right away.

Again if your use to the speed of Vod from comcast its not
on that level. Thats where Comcast excels.
While dish has vastly improved its still an area of opportunity.
It could also be the limitations of using satellite?

Answering my own question (I think). Googled and found this from Wiki:

"If a local team is playing and the game is televised in the home market, the associated feed on League Pass is blacked out and unavailable for viewing" -

Ok, so that explains why purchasing an NBA League Pass would NOT make sense if the goal is to watch a local team (so we won't do that). However, I am still confused as to why the Sports South Channel in my area (via Dish) doesn't air the same content as the Xfinity Sports South Feed. I'll keep looking ;-)

What about sports?

I pulled up my tv listing here: http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?fromTimeInMillis=1354154400000&aid=dish and it shows The Memphis Grizzlies game tomorrow night at 8pm. But, it also says it's under a channel listed as part of NBA League Pass.

Now, via cable, this game is aired on Sports South - no need to pay extra for it. But I may be willing to pay extra for access to these games. But then I read that even if you pay for NBA some games are blacked out. I then went to the mydish/gamefinder page and noticed that this game is indeed blacked out. But, is it blacked out even if you pay for the NBA pass? Just trying to figure this out!!

And by the way - How do black outs work? I mean, obviously there is something different about Sports South channel via DISH (which exists, but is showing a different game) versus Sports South channel via Xfinity (showing the Memphis game).

ETA: Ok, so the guides are slightly confusing but I think (??) we're good with access to Grizzlies games. Initially I pulled up the game finder page and did a quick search on Memphis, yielding the black out listing (but that was for NBA League Pass, which makes sense). However, when I went back and searched on "Grizzlies", I found that it is indeed showing on channel 445. Weirdly enough though, when I go to the actual "TV Lisings" on the DISH website and enter in my information, it shows channel 445 as "sign off" (and blank other than that)....so....???

Last edited:
be sure to get all equipment you want at initial install
you mentioned you dvr everything
will 1 hopper be enough?

DISH's VOD service is among the least attractive. The library isn't particularly large and it is rather difficult to navigate.

If you want a pretty full selection of conventional HD programming, DISH is among the best choices. If all you want to do is watch content that is "aged like a fine wine", downloading may be a more suitable option. PPV is way too expensive.

As they say, you can only pick two of the three valuable attributes and must forsake the third.

be sure to get all equipment you want at initial install
you mentioned you dvr everything
will 1 hopper be enough?

Yes, we only have two TVs - an lcd in master and projector in media room. Actually considering buying another tv for one of the guest rooms though.....so you have a point. I suppose if I do that at a later date it will cost more than possibly doing it at initial install....hmmmm....food for thought!!!

Also, now considering getting the sling shot and the OTA. I will make note to discuss all that with the installer - or are you saying I need to call DISH and tell them before hand (that probably makes more sense!).

What about sports?

You will be able to watch the Raptor-Grizzlies game with Dish, provided that you have a subscription that includes your local sports channels. That would be America Top 120 Plus or higher. The particular game you are alluding to is being shown on one of the alternate sports channels. You must always look at both Sports South and the alternate channels to be sure where it will actually be shown. I am showing that game on my Hopper guide but I will not be able to see it because I am not in that sports zone. If you are in the Memphis DMA, and I think you are, you will be able to watch it just fine.

You will be able to watch the Raptor-Grizzlies game with Dish, provided that you have a subscription that includes your local sports channels. That would be America Top 120 Plus or higher. The particular game you are alluding to is being shown on one of the alternate sports channels. You must always look at both Sports South and the alternate channels to be sure where it will actually be shown. I am showing that game on my Hopper guide but I will not be able to see it because I am not in that sports zone. If you are in the Memphis DMA, and I think you are, you will be able to watch it just fine.

Thanks, Bobby! Looks like we're good to go on that one (yay!) ;-) The only sport we'll miss (and it is my favorite) is watching my beloved Tigers (College Hoops) when they play on CSS. However, those games aren't often (usually on a different network which we will receive), and I think that just means we need to attend in person (when possible), lol. Good Excuse!

I have 30mb internet from comcast, and I never have buffering issues. It only takes about 5-10 secs from the time I select rent to the time it will start playing. The hopper is the best cable box I have ever had from any company. Its very snappy and has the largest recording capacity of any box on the market. HD picture quality is great. I would estimate 85%-90% of the channels are HD. All the good stuff is HD. I have been happier with dish than any other provider. Make the switch, you wont regret it!

Also make sure they connect the hopper to your internet using a HIC (Hopper internet connector) rather than wifi. Or hardwire it. I am an installer for dish and have been on a few trouble calls where the wifi adapter just wouldn't cut it. Make sure you do it at the time of install because its free at that time. After the install they will charge for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)