Lookin to Buy HD Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dish96

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
PA
Any one steer me in the right direction? Just got a new Sony HDTV for bedroom. Currently have an SD receiver and want to get a new/used H20/21. I already have an HR-21-700 in family room and love it...exept for turtle-paced remote response! I dont need DVR in bedroom but want the HD. Saw it at Circuit City for $99...anything better? And if I install it myself, do I need to do anything but plug-n-play after activation?
Thanks!

you might find something on ebay for a little less but remember you don't actually own these. you could also try to call Directv and see if they'll give you a discount. they're good at this. besides that you're good. nothing complicated about hooking these babies up. :) hope that helps.

Any one steer me in the right direction? Just got a new Sony HDTV for bedroom. Currently have an SD receiver and want to get a new/used H20/21. I already have an HR-21-700 in family room and love it...exept for turtle-paced remote response! I dont need DVR in bedroom but want the HD. Saw it at Circuit City for $99...anything better? And if I install it myself, do I need to do anything but plug-n-play after activation?
Thanks!
Mine was $89 @ Costco but that was a few months ago. Don't know about now. Remember you won't own it. It's like a downpayment on a lease. D* is very good now about preventing activation of one you try to "buy" on ebay or elsewhere. It's just not worth trolling for one to "buy" IMHO :cool:

Mine was $89 @ Costco but that was a few months ago. Don't know about now. Remember you won't own it. It's like a downpayment on a lease. D* is very good now about preventing activation of one you try to "buy" on ebay or elsewhere. It's just not worth trolling for one to "buy" IMHO :cool:

This is true. to prevent this all you need is the receiver id# so D can tell you if they would be able to activate it or not. good point cincy ;)

I'd be very careful "buying" a used H-20/21 off of eBay. For one, as mentioned, most are actually leased units and the seller really has no business trying to sell them. There might be a few owned H-20's but not many. I happen to have two owned H-20's myself. One is active and the other is pretty much a "door stop". I bought the original H-20 two years ago from an authorized DirecTV Internet reseller and got it registered as owned. A couple of months ago DirecTV contacted me and said they'd discovered a defect in the model I had and that they were willing to replace it for free. Indeed, I got a refurbished H-20 and deactivated the other. I'd not try to sell the old one, and actually not sure I could anyhow, since DirecTV has it listed as a defective unit even though it was working perfectly when I pulled it down. My point is there might be somebody out there with one of these owned defective units trying to sell it and I'd stay away from that. As for Costco, good recommendation but our local store hasn't had anything but HR-21's for months so availability in some markets may be limited.

If you dont care if you get a H20 or H21 the just go through D* directly, chances are good you would get a Non-HDDVR free or significantly discounted. Call them though.

Unless you have to have OTA and don't want a AM21, I would personally stay away from the H20. Get at least a H21 since it has an ethernet connection.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "trolling"...or why you used "buy"...but yes, I do understand the whole lease thing. I was just checking to see if anyone had any thoughts were I could pick one up cheaper than the $99 or so I've seen.

If you dont care if you get a H20 or H21 the just go through D* directly, chances are good you would get a Non-HDDVR free or significantly discounted. Call them though.

I did call them today...and they were willing to give me one at $39. But they wouldnt just ship me one and have me intall it. They wanted to schedule an installer to basically plug it in and activate it. My wife and I both work and it's impossible for us to get away and wait for the installer. I begged them to send it to me and they basically told me that they dont do that any more? What? Is that true? Any other suggestions?

Well, I went out & bought my own, THEN called D* & BEFORE I asked them to activate it, asked if they would comp me to get my own. They did on my HR20 f/$200 - THEN after they told me this, I told them it was ready to activate & do it now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts