Looking at getting Starchoice

dish_dtv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Hi!

Is there an authorized installer in Dallas TX to receive SC? What size is the SC dish (comparable to a E* SuperDish 121?). Will I get reliable signal strength from Dallas. Also, do they accept a US address? I would be interested in SC primarily for TSN's Formula 1 coverage (ITV's race on-site coverage as opposed to NC-based commentary that Speed provides). Is it true that TSN is included in the lowest tier? If so, what a novel concept!

Thanks!

Yes TSN is included..

I went back to SC website today to look at the price increase on the essentials package (33->35.99) and low an behold they now include the HD channels even in the basic $20 package! TSN is in this package also in HD!. I switched in a heartbeat since all we watch is HD nets on SC and saved $16 a month. Note - you can not add any other channels to this package but we are fine with this.

Satboyz;)

I went back to SC website today to look at the price increase on the essentials package (33->35.99) and low an behold they now include the HD channels even in the basic $20 package! TSN is in this package also in HD!. I switched in a heartbeat since all we watch is HD nets on SC and saved $16 a month. Note - you can not add any other channels to this package but we are fine with this.

Satboyz;)

If I have only an SD TV, should I be able to view (in SD) the newly-added HD channels (267-294)? If so, I am not receiving them. As a matter of fact, my receiver will not accept an entry within this range of numbers. Would a refresh take care of this?

This is important to me because my "non-*C" dish is pointed at F2 only, and I am missing some of the SD versions of 267-294 because they are on F1R. According to Lyngsat, 267-294 are coming from F2.

Thanks for any help.

There is no reason for HD 8SPK channels to show up in a SD receiver channel map - they cannot receive HD + they cannot decode 8PSK modulated channels

SC in Dallas TX

Hi!

Would the Ku-Sat/SC supplied 75cm Elliptical dish work well for Dallas with either the 505HD receiver or the 530HD receiver?

Down in Corpus

I've had *C for years, and I've lived in Corpus Christi for the last three. I have the 75cm dish and have only had a few signal issues...during heavy rain storms.

As for an installer I'm sure you could find a satellite company in the Metroplex that will do a *C install for you.

In reality, with the 75cm dish it's not all that difficult to aim. Global Communications has all the dish pointing info you need.

I lived in Dallas for a few years (2001-2006) and had Star Choice with the 75cm dish. My signal strength was in the mid 60s and only faded in heavy storms. I can't remember who installed it, but just went to the phone book and found an installer that wasn't affiliated with Dish or Direct, told them I was a Canadian expat (true for me but doesn't need to be for you) and they did the install (2 receivers for about $100). You'll need to provide the look angle, including skew. They won't have a clue.

Thanks everyone

Thanks everybody, espl. CorpusJ & toujoursdan

Looks like the 75cm dish should not have issues with HD programming using 505SC or 530SC.

I will give it a shot in the next month/two and let you all know how it goes/went.

Thanks!

Step 1 completed

Hi all:

Just wanted to let you know that my cousin picked up a 505 for me at Future Shop (FS) near Toronto and is shipping it CanaPost (XpressPost - U. S. A.) tomorrow. From this forum, it appears that UPS Ground tacks on an additional customs brokerage fee that I could conceivably avoid with Canada Post.

Next step is procuring either a 75cm starchoice dish (Kusat seems the only way and it involves steep shipping charges) or use Global CM and get 2 85-E Patriot dishes with appropriate LNBFs. I will do that towards the end of this week.

I hope to have a local FTA/Ku-band installer come in and install this before Christmas week.

Wish me luck.

Thanks - I'll check it out....

Hiker:

Thanks for the tip. I will check that route too.

Another question for the group:
In case I end up going with 2 Patriot 85-E dishes and install the dishes, how do I confirm that I am getting a good signal from 111.1? I know that if I am hitting 107.3 correctly, when I tune to channel 299, my receiver lights are green and I can check the E B Nos by using my remote & pressing option 6-4 wait till screen. Then, 9-7-7-1 for diagnostics.

Is that enough to get activated for both SD/HD programming? I ask this question since I might be pointing correctly only at 107.3 at that time? My question is:
When SC issues a 'HIT' to my receiver to activate it, is it necessary to get a good/great signal lock ONLY on 107.3? Is 111.1 not even necessary (just for the 'hit'/activation)? If so, once activated, I can ensure that 111.1 is locked by tuning to the relevant HD channel and checking my E B Nos from there.

Experts, please advise. As of now, my target for getting this install done would be the weekend before Christmas.

Once you get a hit on F1 that will bring in all the channels regardless if you are on F1 or both F1 & F2

If you want to aim at F2 beforehand select channel 559 or 420 (and I think 260 but dont quote me on that). Both of those are on F2. The only issue is if you hit F1 it will still log that channel (sadly the SC box isnt that smart). I'm set up only on F1 but if I select 420 (NFL Network) it will give me the guide info for whatever channel is at the same spot on F1 (again, since I have only 107.3 set up)

Until a new Star Choice receiver is actually activated, you will not get Anik F2
channels (all French, foreign language, High Definition, and some sports pkgs) mapped. Once a receiver is mapped, channel 265 (French PPV Info channel) can be used as a permanent alignment channel, which will work regardless of subscription status.

We have been working on a new solution for those caught in the dilemma of not having a 2nd dish ready for F2 when they want to have a Star Choice receiver activated. It involves a Traxis DBS-3500 receiver that we custom pre-program for all Ku-band satellites and channels. An inexpensive in-line satellite tuning meter is added to the mix, creating the ability to perfectly align everything without the expense of a an expensive signal meter, spectrum analyzer, or activated Star Choice receiver. The in-line tuning meter tells you when you are on a satellite. Pointing angles for available satellites are provided, and by alternately listening to the beep and signal level on the in-line meter as well as positively IDing each satellite with the superb metering system found in the Traxis DBS-3500. This technique has allowed quick installation of not only Star Choice systems, but also Ku-band antennas for things such as receive-only Internet service.

The Star Choice 75-E antenna has its place, but it has become very expensive to ship due to dimensional box size tariffs, and there are issues about the non-availability of the Quad LNBF as a spare part. Star Choice customers that take their systems to their vacation homes outside of Canada will find out that there is no quick solution in the event of an LNBF failure. The only remedy is to do a warranty exchange with a Star Choice dealer, which can involve several weeks of waiting and being out of service. About a year ago we started offering a slightly larger (85 cm elliptical, or 30 x 36 inch antenna) antenna from Patriot, which provides needed extra signal for Sun Belt locations and further south. Anik F1R is considerably weaker than Anik F2 once you get into the southern U.S., and there is also the new issue of the loss of at least 2 dB of effective signal from previous levels when trying to receive HD signals from Anik F2 in the new 8PSK format. Those wanting a truly reliable system should use separate antennas for Anik F1R and Anik F2, and the Patriot 85-E makes a cost-effective solution that does not have the excessive shipping charges common with 90 cm and larger round offset dishes.

Ice, Mike - Thanks for the info

Thanks for the replies, espl. Iceberg and Mike Kohl.

I will probably go with the 2 large dishes, since I don't want to have any trouble with HD signal levels later on.

My installer (he does Ku-band and other FTA installs only) is also wanting to give me a quote including the dish/hardware and I will know soon how much he wants and that will help me decide between Mike's Global communications or going with what my installer brings.

Will keep the forum posted. My receiver also shipped out today from Canada. Should reach me in the next 5-7 days, I hope.

Canada Post XpressPost-USA issue

Hi all:

Update on the shipping. My *C receiver was shipped XpressPost USA on Thursday, December 6, 2007. I received an e-mail from Canada Post on behalf of the shipper saying 'Shipping details electronically submitted'. I received this e-mail sometime late Friday/Sat. I go to track the package in CanadaPost's web-site and the message stays the same.

No actual tracking or even acknowledging receipt of the package being picked up. Is this normal for Xpresspost USA?

On other things, my installer says that he could beat Global Communications' price on the 2 Patriot 85-E dishes and give me a discount on the shipping since he's getting a bunch of other stuff from Patriot anyway. I suspect that he is giving me this discount, since he is also charging $200 separately for the install of the 2 dishes. If all goes well (read, USPS delivers my receiver before that), he will come home for a field visit this weekend.

Wish me luck, and if possible, let me know if lack of any tracking on Canada Post's website is normal?

Xpresspost through Canada Post will only show when a shipment is delivered - not all intermediate destinations in between. USPS works mostly the same way. Couriers ( Canada Post has Purolator) will show all points in between.

As an aside - Reminder -> NEVER USE UPS FOR CROSS BORDER SHIPPING! They have absurd brokerage (not customs) charges.

Sorry - did not want to hijack the thread but have been burned by them a couple of times.

Satboyz

I just had something sent to me Xpress Post a couple of weeks ago. For an example, here are the tracking entries:
2007/11/26 16:14 94945,USA Item successfully delivered to Receiver
2007/11/23 19:52 International shipment has arrived in the destination country
2007/11/23 01:44 International item has left Canada and is en route to destination
2007/11/22 13:50 HOLLAND LANDING, ON Item accepted at the Post office
2007/11/21 05:32 MISSISSAUGA, ON Shipping details electronically submitted

Did you decide not to install the SC 75e dish? I just installed one and it is working well here in Calif. The only problem I had was setting the elevation correctly at the start. I learned the hard way that the elevation is set not by aligning the bolt with the graduations but with the edge of the back plate. The elevation was off at first by about 5 degrees which gave me fits. After I figured that out I had no problem getting a good signal.

The SC 75e is the same dish as GlobeCast WorldTV elliptical dish with a different LNB. It is available at Sadoun here. The SC 75e does not come with an installation manual but since the GlobeCast dish is the same, you can use the installation manual at Sadoun here (PDF). Looking at that you can see what I mean about setting the elevation using the graduations on the dish support.

CanadaPost / Dish

SatBoyZ,

Thanks for the inner workings (!) of Canada Post's XPressPost USA. It was/is a bit disconcerting that the website does not even show the fact that the item was picked up. Hopefully, my case matches what you say and that the postman knocks on the door today. I live in Dallas, TX and today would be the 5th business day since pick-up, and XPressPost-USA's website says that it normally takes 3-5 business days.

Hiker, between all the comments on this forum plus talking to my installer made me decide to go for the 2 Patriot 85-E dishes. My installer was going to charge the same $200 regardless of whether it was a *C 75E or 2 of Patriot's 85-E. Also, Mike Kohl's comments about problems with LNBF replacements in case of *C LNBF failure persuaded me to go the 2-dish route, so that any replacements in future would be to call my local installer for 1 or 2 PT-5600s.

Finally, both Starchioce and Kike Kohl's website have links for the *C 75-E install. They are:
Starchioce http://www.starchoice.com/english/store/download/Self_Install_Kit_Manual_Eng.pdf
Global Communications STAR CHOICE 75-E ANTENNA ASSEMBLY

Hope this helps. I will keep you all posted of my travails.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts