Looking fo a H to H Motor greater than 80°

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

norman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Looking for:
H to H Mount Motor With A
Greater than +/- 80° Azimuth Rotation angle.
Any Help?
SIr Norman

Azimut

According to the manuals:
The Stab HH90 is rated +/- 72° Azimuth.
The Stab HH100 and 120 are rated +/- 70°.
The DG 380 is rated +/-80° (that's a total of 160°).

I don't know the specs for any others.

I am wanting one one that has 180° rotation.
Sir Norman

That's nice. I want to be 21 again! - :D

When satellites are low in the sky for you, the apparent separation between adjacent birds gets smaller and smaller.
So, you reach a point of diminishing accuracy.

What you really want is one that goes from horizon to horizon. Also motor shaft rotation degrees does not equal degrees of the satellite arc. What you need to do is go to Lyngsat and find what your most easterly and most westerly viewable satellites are. then do a site survey where you are planning to mount your dish and see if they are truely viewable or not. Trees, hills, buildings all will block your signal. If you can not see a satellite, you will not receive the satellite and the earths curvature may block what you want to see. Also, just because you can see a satellite does not necessarily meen that it is transmitting in your direction. You may be outside of the satellites footprint or require an extremely large dish to get enough gain. Also as Anole poited out, adjacent satellite interference may be a great problem because adjacent satellites now appear to be very close to each other and your dish may not be able to diferentiate between them. Now enter your co-ordinates into a GAAPS (Global Automatic Antenna Positioning System or goto x) calculator and see how much motor shaft movement you really need.

It is a common misconception to believe that in order to cover the entire visible arc of satellites that one would need a motor with 180 degrees of sweep. To cover the entire arc of satellites from horizon to horizon, you will not need a +/- 90 (180 degree sweep). A 140 degree sweep will sweep the entire sky for most areas. If you need a few extra degrees, open the motor (SG2100 type) and remove the physical stops, adding approximately 10 more degrees.

To calculate the height above the surface required to view as much of the arc as possible from your location, here are a few calculations. http://www.wolfram.demon.co.uk/rp_horizon_distance.html

Oh, to live on a tall mountain surrounds by deep valleys! LOL!!!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)