Looking for 99 & 103 w/o $$$$$ signal finder !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimmooney

Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Recently got Directv (LOVE IT!) with a HD DVR for home, and a H21-100 for our RV, with a new SWM dish ( an SL3, with the 4 pigtails). I even bought a new HD Vizio 22" for the RV. But, now, it looks like I need a $$$$$ signal finder to get 99 & 103. I only have the cheapie yellow signal finder, and never had a problem getting 101. I attempted to understand the "dither" method, with no luck (actually seems to be a pretty archaic method!). Question: Since we travel often, and have to set up almost daily, what's the best way to get the HD satellites? Do I really need to get one of those $X00 signal finders? Is there some basic (cookbook) procedure for the novice traveler? (also mystified as to whether I MUST USE (or not) the BBC with the SL3? Thanks, gang, for any input.

Just so you know, if it has 4 outputs, it's not a SWM. The dish is a slimline. SWM refers to a single wire multiswitch which means it only has one output that can be split, unlike the model you have which requires a home run to the receiver. As for your question, I'm not real sure, but I expect someone here will be able to help you :)

If you're getting 101 fine, then either you're missing B-band converters (required since your LNB is not a SWM) or you have the tilt wrong. When you travel long distances, tilt changes just like azimuth and elevation - Satellite Setup will tell you the right tilt for your location.

Thanks, JosephB

You're right, it's not a SWM; it's a slimline (single LNB in the center). I just get SO confused sometimes. I was told I can connect to either #1 or #2 of the four pigtails. I'm assuming I DO need the BBC (broad band converter). Still hoping to hear if I have to do the "dithering" thing with a $$$ finder; or use my cheapie finder, max the signal on 101; then micro-tune the skew? Hmmmmm, ya know - - I'm wondering if I can blindly set the zip code suggested skew, then micro-tune the AZ and EL ? hmmmmmmm.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)