looking for a gaget...

well one of my customers had something that did it he bought at frys but I lost the piece of paper that I wrote it down on so I figured I'd ask about it....

Sounds like a video capture card, there was a multi device item that BB carried which would allow you to connect it to a computer and to various other devices to record all sorts of media to the computer, part of a name called dazzle keeps popping into my head.

Yeah, but you still have to wait on the playback.
I think what coretj is looking for is how to just copy the MPG files onto the PC... there's a lot of discussion on the 'other' boards for this stuff... most involves voiding any warranty you might have on your DVR... as well as some 'grey area' issues.

If its a Dazzle or similar capture device it doesn't void any warranties as all it does is take your analog output, convert it to digital via the 1394 connection and you simply save it to an avi file on your hard drive. You can use any similar technology to achieve the same result, including those multimedia computers that have video analog input jacks.
What the OP may have been thinking of is a similar system that permits capturing HDTV. This can also be done using the analog VGA and audio connections to a high end encoder (not cheap) What can't be done is HDTV via the DVI or HDMI as these are all encrypted HDCP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)