Looking for a Low-End player.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jokeworm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Tulsa. Ok.
About time i dipped my little toe back into HD movies again.

Am looking for something that is low-end, no-frills, turn on and hit play Blu-Ray player. Load time not important, fancy features not important .. I'll just use it to watch a movie and then turn it back off again ...

Am finding players around $200 right now ...

Sylvania NB501SL9 from Sears.
Philips BDP7200 from Sams Club
Samsung BD-P1500 from Amazon

Best price I've found so far is from New Egg who have a recertified SAMSUNG Blu-Ray Player RBBDP1500XAA for $170

Have tried to do some research online .. but every time I pull up any reviews on any of the low-end players I'm seeing people shouting and screaming telling me how bad they are ...

Given that i don't need anything fancy .. am I going to go too far wrong if I just put my money down on any of these low-end players ? Anything I should just run away from? Anything I've missed and should add to the list of maybe's ? Anything just around the corner that I should maybe wait for?

Thanks for the input :)

Of the three, ONLY touch the Samsung. Amazon had a refurb Panny BD30 a few days ago for a little less, (I had bought one earlier) but gone now. Go for the newegg deal.

There is a hardware shortage right now and you are right inbetween models. There just isn't a whole out there right now. There were a ton of really good deals on players around Christmas including the Sony350 and Panasonic 35 for 199 and below. The 1500 runs really hot. Would not be my recommendation for a player. Sherwood has a player out for 229, but I have not tried it.

Panasonic and Sony have proven so far to be te most reliable for providing necessary firmware. You might want to hold off a while for the new players unless you can find a good deal on one of those players.

S~

Here's a contender:
Panasonic DMP-BD30K Blu-ray Disc Player with SD Card Slot, Final Standard Profil
I got mine for less (about 30), but as said above, demand outweighs supply. It's a very good player. I also would not be scared off from the Samsung. A friend of mine has one (refurbed) and is not running hot. When new models are introduced, they will be in the $250 range with no discounts for months.

Last edited:
I have the Funai made Magnavox (virtually identical to the Sylvania) I bought it before Father's Day and had no problems with until mid- November or so when It wouldn't play Tropic Thunder (a new rental) now it will anything except BD's... I got a Sony BDP350 Black Friday and love it!
rocky has one of the Maganvox players and has had no problems with his...

Of the three, ONLY touch the Samsung. Amazon had a refurb Panny BD30 a few days ago for a little less, (I had bought one earlier) but gone now. Go for the newegg deal.

LOL, based on my experience with a 1500 (actually 2 of them since 1 broke after a month, just stopped powering on), you can't actually TOUCH it after a movie without oven mitts on. The 1500 was my last try with samsung, the 1400 I had wouldn't even play normal dvd's let along BD's reliably after 2 weeks. I won't even get into the earlier models. Maybe samsung has better results with the newer players, but I'll never know. I went to Sony and Panasonic's and will never look back.

Sister has a funai based player for quite some time now and has been burning (not a samsung burn either) through blu-rays with her netflix since october and has yet to encounter any problems with playback.

Last edited:
My local Fry's advertised a Sony in today's newspaper for $250. I assume it was the 350. Unfortunately, I don't see it on their Web site.

I agree with Teachsac. If you can't wait for newer models and can't find the Panny BD35, I would go for this Sony. You'll end up paying more in the long run if a low-end model goes dies prematurely or can't play every BD you throw at it because the company won't regularly send out firmware patches.

I bought one of the Memorex from woot and it wouldn't ejecting the disc tray.

It is still at Imation warraty repair, hopefully I'll get it back soon and can really try it. Never even got to watch a movie on it. It cost about $150. Been about 3 weeks, still waiting :(

I got my Dad the Sylvania and he loves it. He is not using an AV system but says the PQ is great
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-NB500SL9-1080p-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B0015313Q6]Amazon.com: Sylvania NB500SL9 1080p Blu-Ray Player with HDMI Cable: Electronics[/ame]

Thanks for the input so far guys.
Looks like there is plenty of choice out there still for $200 or just under.
You guys have helped narrow the search a lot :)

I'm leaning towards the cheap Magnavox from walmart as it just got good ratings from Consumer Reports ... or the Sylvania from Sears ... that way i can go pick it up tomorrow and be done with it.

(If i keep looking i know I'll talk myself out of it again)

:)

Last edited:
The Insignia from BB is the same as the Magnavox and Sylvania as well. I've had one for six months with no problems. I'd suggest you shop price on those three.

Thanks for the input so far guys.
Looks like there is plenty of choice out there still for $200 or just under.
You guys have helped narrow the search a lot :)

I'm leaning towards the cheap Magnavox from walmart as it just got good ratings from Consumer Reports ... or the Sylvania from Sears ... that way i can go pick it up tomorrow and be done with it.

(If i keep looking i know I'll talk myself out of it again)

My wife picked one of these guys (Magnavox) up for $129 during the Christmas sales ... works great thus far ... I have not thrown a lot of Blu-Ray on it though ... but what I have ... not a glitch ...

You know what, go to Sam's Club, and pick up the Sony BD player they have; its the exact same model as the 350, but for $225; and with a better backlit remote. Spend the extra $50 and you will not regret it.

I have an el cheapo Magnavox, and while it works, its software sucks in comparison with the Sony, which is all around a better player. And while mine still works, I know that dfergie's died in under 6 months.

Just my 2 cents, but I think the extra investment is well worth the price.

I have personal issues with Sony.

I refuse to give them any of my money ... long story .. personal irrational hatred ... but Sony is definitely out :)

Spent the day at Walmart x2, Sams, Sears x2, Best-Buy, and Circuit City and came out empty handed .. all shelves were empty - couple of higher end models - but I guess it was a sign ..

Unless something jumps out at me online - i may wait a few weeks and see what the new batch brings.

I have personal issues with Sony.

I refuse to give them any of my money ... long story .. personal irrational hatred ... but Sony is definitely out :)

Spent the day at Walmart x2, Sams, Sears x2, Best-Buy, and Circuit City and came out empty handed .. all shelves were empty - couple of higher end models - but I guess it was a sign ..

Unless something jumps out at me online - i may wait a few weeks and see what the new batch brings.

Your loss. Their BD players are great.

Ready to start buying on-line now???

I was always ready to buy online .. was out shopping most of the day anyway yesterday and was passing most of those places .... my wife is worse than me once she knows we're going to get something .. she's got to have it NOW.

:rolleyes:

I still have no clue which one I'm going to buy .... I've seen refurb magnavox's online for $140 .. might even be worth doing something like that and paying $40 for a two-year in-home warranty .... less than $200 for a player that is pretty much guaranteed for two years ..

decisions decisions ...

:D

Sometimes I wish someone would just come along and put one in my lap and say "there is your new player" that'll be $200 ... it'd be much easier ... and it IS my birthday on Saturday ...

Ended up going for the Samsung. For $170 I can't really go wrong (will be selling my Toshiba HD-DVD player + DVD's for around $100 .. so it'll only cost me $70 out of pocket.)

Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully it won't run too hot .. my A/V cabinet is pretty well ventilated, and it'll only be used two or three times each week to watch a movie then be turned off again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)