Looking for a Low-End player.

Got a LG BH200 Super Blue at CC liquidation sale for 149 , plus LG has a BD Live rebate of 75 since they don't plan to upgrade the firmware to BD Live, so I will have 75 net into it and can put my Toshiba A35 in the closet for a back up unit just in case, this way I can play my HD DVD movies and start a BD collection too.

Ended up going for the Samsung. For $170 I can't really go wrong (will be selling my Toshiba HD-DVD player + DVD's for around $100 .. so it'll only cost me $70 out of pocket.)

Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully it won't run too hot .. my A/V cabinet is pretty well ventilated, and it'll only be used two or three times each week to watch a movie then be turned off again.

:)
Good decision. I cringed at the thought of you getting the Magnavox. The Samsung has the best DVD upscaling next to Oppo. I don't own one, but have read many discussions on it. The heat problem seems to have been addressed toward the second half of their production run. In this case, a refurb is a smart way to go.

Player arrived this morning.

Looks good, plays my discs, does not seem to get much hotter than anything else I have running ... played a Netflix disc just fine .. played one of my own burned discs just fine ....

Nice price, nice player ... so far I'm happy enough.

:)

... now to get rid of my HD-DVD player ....

I bought one of the Memorex from woot and it wouldn't ejecting the disc tray.

It is still at Imation warraty repair, hopefully I'll get it back soon and can really try it. Never even got to watch a movie on it. It cost about $150. Been about 3 weeks, still waiting :(

My memorex player is finally back from warranty repair - took 2 months.

Good news is it is working fine. Played two blurays and a handful of regular dvds.

Once the disc loads playback is fine, including skips/jumps. But man, it takes a long time to boot (30 seconds) and load a disk (20 seconds to a minute).

Dark Knight took about a full minute to load before I could do anything, doesn't that seem unreasonable?

I think you'll be happy with the Samsung 1500. I have one. Granted, I don't use it much. And I only bought it because it was offered for $80 since I bought a Sammy LCD. But I haven't seen any problems with it.

One minute unreasonable? Well, maybe that's what you get with less expensive players. BD overall takes longer than DVDs to start up. Hopefully, that problem will fade over time, with new models. And hopefully, the OPPO coming out will be "frisky" in the start up department. Right now, I think the PS3 is probably the fastest to load.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)