Looking for a new gaming Laptop

lucavex

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Midwest
my significant other and I are interested in a new pair of laptops, specifically gaming laptops.

We were looking at getting the Alienware m17x, but I wanted to shop around a bit.

I know with Alienware I'm partially paying for label, but it's got some neat features like customizable backlighting for the keyboard, a customized nameplate, facial recognition to unlock it, and lots of other neat little extras. However, I'm primarily looking for POWER, namely, graphical omph.

Any suggestions?

I think you already said it yourself, but for less money you can move away from "the name" and get the same stuff added, including facial recognition (except maybe the custom nameplate which adds nothing to the performance); remember its about the machine not the status / name. You can also get a super-powerful laptop that will play every game out and more that not labeled a "gaming" laptop; just select the correct hardware and specs.

The Mrs. is pretty well set on wanting an Alienware laptop, and I really wanted to get matching laptops (Yes, we're 'that' kind of couple). But I'd be willing to break the symmetry for something with enough bang for my buck.

So, I decided on a Dell XPS 17 inch.

Got a core i7 Processor (With Sandy Bridge)
4 GB RAM
1 GB Dedicated nVidia GT550M graphics adapter
500 GB HDD
The list goes on.

In the end paid about 900 for it. Overall I think I made a good decision.
The Mrs. still hasn't decided on one yet, but after seeing my 17 inch monster, she's considering something smaller.

This is the one I want.

Toshiba
Qosmio X500-Q930X
Average Customer Rating: (7)
Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor
Genuine Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
18.4" widescreen
8GB DDR3 1333MHz memory
1TB: 500GB (7200rpm, Serial ATA) + 500GB (7200rpm, Serial ATA)
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts