looking for a router that doesnt crash or drop connections or doesnt need to be restarted.

I am looking for a router that doesn't drop connections and have to be restarted constantly.
If this isn't the ISP dropping the connection (most of the time this happens if there is suspicion more than one modem tries connecting under the same MAC), it is mostly due to the firmware.
Find a model that you can flash with DD-WRT and you won't have problems due to your router...

Diogen.

If this isn't the ISP dropping the connection (most of the time this happens if there is suspicion more than one modem tries connecting under the same MAC), it is mostly due to the firmware.
Find a model that you can flash with DD-WRT and you won't have problems due to your router...

Diogen.

Sounds good. I will look into getting a model that can be flashed with DD-WRT.

Try the linksys wrt64gl or the Buffalo Technology WHR-HP-G54, with Tomato or dd-wrt firmware. Much more reliable that the original firmware that comes with these routers. Make sure they are flashable models. Some people have bought the wrong one (same model but wrong revision/version).

Stay away from most other linksys and all d-link. The quality has gone down the drain. They drop like flies and are a headache to support.

Ymmv. ?

Stay away from most other linksys...
The old WRT54Gxx line can't do better than 100Mbps over wired and g on wireless.
That's quite a limitation today. I had no problems running DD-WRT on the 120, 160 and 610N.
Having physical antennas could be helpful but it works OK without them...

Diogen.

I checked the win xp machine to see how many pci slots were available. It has 3, so that is now sharing the internet through internet connection sharing. I did a fresh install of win xp, did the updates and let ICS configure itself (this is where windows beat linux). I run pc linux os and my dish dvr off of the ICS box.

ICS makes for a lousy always on broadband connection. Routers are the only way to go especially considering the dangers of running a Windows box directly connected to the Internet.

ICS makes for a lousy always on broadband connection. Routers are the only way to go especially considering the dangers of running a Windows box directly connected to the Internet.

The firewall is blocking any inbound connections. I think it works pretty well, just as long as its locked down and updated properly, I am not gonna go out and waste money on crappy routers no one can seem manufacture a decent router that doesn't dump wireless or wired connections.

The firewall is blocking any inbound connections. I think it works pretty well, just as long as its locked down and updated properly, I am not gonna go out and waste money on crappy routers no one can seem manufacture a decent router that doesn't dump wireless or wired connections.
Take one sturdy firewall and add a well-meaning user or two and you have succeeded in finding a way to defeat the firewall.

A simple NAT can cut 98 percent of the threats of being direct-connected right off the top leaving your computer free to run applications as opposed to heavy loads of sandboxing with firewall and security utilities. If your router is crashing a lot, it is likely that the security applications on the computer are contributing to it by tweaking the router and/or creating deadlock situations.

Take one sturdy firewall and add a well-meaning user or two and you have succeeded in finding a way to defeat the firewall.

A simple NAT can cut 98 percent of the threats of being direct-connected right off the top leaving your computer free to run applications as opposed to heavy loads of sandboxing with firewall and security utilities. If your router is crashing a lot, it is likely that the security applications on the computer are contributing to it by tweaking the router and/or creating deadlock situations.

You know one that isn't a piece a crap right out of the box? If smoothwall didnt have current bugs and them other linux things were not such a pain to configure I wouldnt have to use windows as the ICS box.

Consider Juniper routers in a redundant configuration. If one goes down the other picks up.

okay, okay real world now... I've personally had great luck with linksys and netgear. I also tend to split functions, with the router only routing. I add one or more waps to provide wireless and switches as needed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I was using a links wrt54g wireless that run great for around 6 yrs till something smoked in it.Replaced it with a netgear n150 wnr1000 wireless about 6 months ago and ill see how long this one lasts.Someday if i find the time i may take apart the links and see if i can fix.

Woah, didn't notice this thread, but I imagine it's been probably well-handled already

but anyway, I've never had any trouble with my LinkSys wireless router. It's never dropped a connection, doesn't need to be restarted and simply doesn't crash. I've had far better luck with it than my actual wireless cards or even modem for that matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)