Looking for a way to record a certain way on the DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom Imp

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Central New Jersey
Sorry for the newbie question, but this satellite stuff is new to me. I had DVR service with Cablevision, but this is slightly different in the way it works on DirecTV.

Before (with cable), if you wanted to set up a program to record every episode, but only on certain days (i.e Monday, Wednesday, & Friday, but not Tuesday and Thursday) you could tell it to do so. So far I have yet to find a way to replicate this task with D*'s DVR service. Closest I can get is having to automatically record every show, regardless of the day.

Am I missing something here or is this just not possible with this DVR?

Sorry for the newbie question, but this satellite stuff is new to me. I had DVR service with Cablevision, but this is slightly different in the way it works on DirecTV.

Before (with cable), if you wanted to set up a program to record every episode, but only on certain days (i.e Monday, Wednesday, & Friday, but not Tuesday and Thursday) you could tell it to do so. So far I have yet to find a way to replicate this task with D*'s DVR service. Closest I can get is having to automatically record every show, regardless of the day.

Am I missing something here or is this just not possible with this DVR?

I don't think it can be done. You can record first run or all episodes, but not by the day.

Set up a manual record for the day and time you are wanting to record, its the easiest way to do what you are wanting to do.

The downside is that whatever is on in that time-slot will be recorded, which may or may not be the show you are wanting to watch.

Set up a manual record for the day and time you are wanting to record, its the easiest way to do what you are wanting to do.

The downside is that whatever is on in that time-slot will be recorded, which may or may not be the show you are wanting to watch.

Actually, it wouldn't be a problem with what show is on at the time. This is for my wife's soap opera which is same time every day.

This method you described, is the recording schedule in effect forever once you set it or do you still have to manually set it up every week?

Manual recording stays resident in the "Prioritizer" until you remove it. But the method mentioned above would need to be repeated three times: once for each specific day/timeslot you want to record. I am sure most other people have similar issues with shows like The Daily Show/Colbert Report which are only on M-Th, and repeat several times each day. Comedy Channel does not do a very good job of marking "First Run" or "Repeat". I have the manual record set to go every weeknight from 11p-12a and just know to manually delete the Friday recording. So it may be easier to record all and take 2 seconds every other day and delete what you don't want from Tuesday/Thursday.

If you're doing it for a "soap" just set up a recurring manual recording for Monday thru Friday and you should be good. It will stay on there til you remove it.

If you're doing it for a "soap" just set up a recurring manual recording for Monday thru Friday and you should be good. It will stay on there til you remove it.

yea im confused:
a) it sounded like he wanted to record like every other day.
b) but then he said its a soap which is every day i would think ??

yea im confused:
a) it sounded like he wanted to record like every other day.
b) but then he said its a soap which is every day i would think ??

Long story short, the wife is in school again along with work so she doesn't have time to watch all 5 days anymore. With Cablevision's DVR, you could tell it to record forever by day, not every episode, and it would record only the days you specified.

After we couldn't figure it out, she just said "screw it, I'll just delete the days I don't want."

After we couldn't figure it out, she just said "screw it, I'll just delete the days I don't want."
That is a much easier way of doing it.
Record every day and delete what you don't want, it only takes a few seconds to delete a program.
Set up the Series link and you'll be done quickly.
No need for manual recording this way.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)