Looking for answers... :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hicksatpd

Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
Hi. I'm currently using Cable TV, and want to switch to DirectTV.

I'm trying to found out how things will be setup, and how much EVERYTHING will cost.

We have 5 TVs in our house, and we'd like two get two receivers. One for 2 TVs, one for the other 3. Is this possible?

Also, I plan on getting the basic receivers; no TIVO, no HDTV. Just the basics. :)

With that kind of a setup, a) is it possible to have it hooked up like that (3TVs on one receiver, 2TVs on another), and b) how much should installation and the equipment cost all told? I've seen on the direcTV website that they have an offer to do this free, but should I expect that deal if I went to my nearest Best Buy to get this?

If you can give me some or all of these answers, it would be a big help.

Also, if you could be very honest with the "catches" and "minor annoyances/downsides" to DirecTV versus cable, I would REALLY appreciate it. I'm all for doing this, but have to "sell it" to the other person living with me to make it happen, and the more upfront I can be with the pros and cons of Satellite TV, the better. For example one con is you have to have the receiver hooked up to a phone line and it will randomly use your phone line to download programming info and the like, right? What other minor things are there?

Also, everything has a catch. What're the catches of DTV? I know I have to pay another $5 a month to have the 2nd receiver, but is there anything else? Do I have to commit to long contracts? How detailed of info do I have to provide to get setup? I'm assuming a CC #, but what about SSN, or anything else that's typically private?

The more answers I can get from you guys, the better, and hopefully I can get them all answered. Thank you VERY much.

For example one con is you have to have the receiver hooked up to a phone line and it will randomly use your phone line to download programming info and the like, right?

Phone lines are only if you want to order PPV's on std receivers
you can still order by phone or online.
- TIVO only requires a phone line

Do I have to commit to long contracts
1 year agreement - then you keep all equipment

How detailed of info do I have to provide to get setup? I'm assuming a CC #, but what about SSN, or anything else that's typically private?
Yes you will have to provide that info...
When you activate D* will check credit and you may have to pay a $50 advance on your 1st bill... ( CC or Check by phone ) whoever you buy equipment from should explain this.
Monthly Fee's depend on what you get for programing...
Basic is $29.99 for 1 receiver, $4.99 each addional receiver. after 6 months your special runs out and your bill will go up $10. ( total choice programing )

We have 5 TVs in our house, and we'd like two get two receivers. One for 2 TVs, one for the other 3. Is this possible?
This is possible, it is NOT covered under basic installation so you may get a charge from the installer.
NOTE: that all the TV's hooked to the same receiver will have to watch the same show... you wont be able to watch different shows.

Depending where you live Local stations should be available through Total Choice w/ local programing... Do your homework when buying... you will have to pay for S/H for the equipment ( based on how many you get )
you can Call Directv directly or shop online ( like my site below )
Best of Luck whichever way you go

Thanks. I'm a newbie at this stuff, do I don't know what D* means. What does it mean?

Also, can you give me an idea of what I'd have to pay for for the installation as I described it since you said that wouldn't be covered in basic installation?

Also, yeah I know the 3 TVs will only be able to show the same thing at once, and same goes for the other 2 TVs. But that's OK, there are two of us here at the house most of the time. :)

As for the phone-line thing; so the receiver doesn't need that to update the channel (programming) listings? That's done via the satellite?

Also, what if I don't want to pay via a credit card. What if I want to pay the monthly bills via a check? Can I do that?

Also when you say "you may have to pay a $50 advance on your 1st bill" can you elaborate more on this? Is this an additional cost, or am I paying early for something? If so, what is that $50 go towards?

Thanks again.

D* means DirecTV.

The TV guide is updated by satellite, no need for phone lines.

You can pay by check.

The $50 upfront is only if you have bad credit.... it is just an advance payment for servive, its not an extra.

You may also want to check out DISH Network. Their 322 receiver (available only with their DHA lease plan) has two tuners built in, that allows two rooms to watch two seperate programs with one receiver. With two of these receivers, you can have 4 rooms watching seperate things, while only paying a monthly mirror charge for one receiver. On one of the receivers, you can have the backfeed split to two seperate rooms, for a nominal charge.

As Rob mentioned, do your homework when buying. Both Directv and DISH have pros and cons. Directv is currently running their NFL promo, which is their best promo of the year. Sunday Ticket is not available on DISH Network. Check with both providers before making your decision. My advice is to check with a few local dealers who handle both Directv and Dish Network. Let them know what you are trying to accomplish. Listen to their recommendations, then choose the one you feel most comfortable with.

One thing you will have to watch for, especially with D* is rain fade. Ours will go out whenever it rains, even lightly.

Do a lot of you have this problem with rain using D*? And why would DishNetwork be better for this? I know it's different companies, but it's essentially the same technology and setup, isn't it? A dish outside, that's gonna get wet.

Also, at first I was looking at DishNetwork. But when I compared channel packages, I liked DirecTV's better. That was enough for me to want to go with them instead.

It's neat that Dish can have receivers that can display two channels, but that's not really necissary in my situation. :)

Neutron must have special issues with rain fade.

I've had Dish Network and now have DirecTV. Rain fade has only ever occurred for me with hardcore thunderstorms (dark, black skies and heavy downpour, etc..) It happend the same with both services (Dish and DTV). Slight, moderate, and even heavy rain hasn't affect my signal.

It's only the really major storms that kill the signal; then it's usually only for a few minutes.

BTW, yes. Both companies use the same technology and any rain-fade issues would be the same regardless of who you choose.

I've had friends and neighbors who have had the same issues. I have called D* repeatedly to come fix and they immediately blame my equipment.

Neutron, you and your neighbors should not experience rain fade with normal rain. Heavy rain and low clouds can cause rain fade.

If you are experiencing rain fade with normal or light rain you need a service call.

Hicksatpd, I like the DIRECTV/dealer/sponsor who has banners on the top of this page.

About the rooms that you want the other receivers picture in, I'm not sure if it is a universal charge, but we are supposed to charge $45 for each outlet without a receiver, but are supposed to let the customer negotiate down to $25 or so in order to get the installation finished.

Directv will be here later to install an HD receiver and a new dish to see if that fixes our rain fade issue.

Yes but i believe we have a deal going on for new cutomers, 3 room system and install for like 49$(i'll have to double check next time i'm at work)If this is the case then you could just mirror 2 of the recievers and have the 3rd to one tv.

Also, if you could be very honest with the "catches" and "minor annoyances/downsides" to DirecTV

Mny customer's don't realize that with directvthey own thier own equipment. Normally the stuff only has a 90 day warranty. They also have a 5.99/mo. protection plan to cover the equipment and service calls after 90 days(yes i plug this thing to death :))

phone line and it will randomly use your phone line to download programming info and the like, right

Like he said PPV only. Also the reciever can sense when you are on a call, so you dont have to worry about it interrupting the call

I'm assuming a CC #, but what about SSN, or anything else that's typically private?

I've seen many time in our billing system "SSN refused" so if you dont want to give that out i dont believe we will hound ya for it. :)-

Neutron said:
One thing you will have to watch for, especially with D* is rain fade. Ours will go out whenever it rains, even lightly.
Must be your location ... I am in Colorado (inherently 5,280 feet closer to the birds) and I have had rain fade TWICE in my 7 years, and they were REALLY bad thundershowers.

are you using the 18x24 dish (I believe you are) because I would think worst case you would lose picture a couple of time a year with a good install.

EDIT: Guess I should have kept moving on down the thread ... looks like you have been reprimanded enough :D

Hicksatpd said:
Do a lot of you have this problem with rain using D*? And why would DishNetwork be better for this? I know it's different companies, but it's essentially the same technology and setup, isn't it? A dish outside, that's gonna get wet.
This should be your deciding factor ... you are going to WATCH TV so the selection is pretty important. In 7 years with D* I have very few gripes. My biggest one is their slowness to advance with the HD programming ... but I am in a minority.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)