Looking for Charlottesville, Va locals info

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ToddG

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Has anyone heard what they are going to do with the Charlottesville, Va locals?
They are now on 105 and 129 sats. The 129 sat is really low in the sky in my area. I am getting them now with the super dish on 105 and want to upgrade to one of the hd metal packs but am afraid if I do, dish will want to try the dish 1000 and the 129 sat to get me off the 105 sat. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

I know how you feel because when my techs go out to your neck of the woods (Ruckersville, Gordonsville, Charlottesville, and etc.) they say that 129 is very low in elevation and often declare the install as "No Line of Sight" only because 129 would not come in.

The real solution would be to get yourself a DPP44 switch and have DISH Network put in a separate wing dish to get you the 129 signal while leaving your SuperDISH105 alone. If you want better signal albeit an "incorrect" setup, have the tech point the wing dish at 61.5 instead. The big potential problem to this is that if and when your locals leave 105, you'll have to re-align the wing dish to 129 then. Or if DISH puts Charlottesville, VA HD locals on 129, though this is very unlikely to happen anytime soon.

But have hope since Richmond, VA locals moved from 129 to 110 last week. You should write to ceo@dishnetwork.com to address your concern so that they can get some feedback on signal issues near Charlottesville, VA.

I checked the Dish Channel Chart and satellite footprint charts on EKB (link on dbstalk.com). It appears that only Spotbeam 5 really hits Charlottesville, and I'm pretty sure that this spot is already full of Baltimore / DC / Richmond locals (Richmond may have filled up the last few empty spaces).

Now Spotbeams 6 and 10 are close to Charlotesville, perhaps they could be used, but I don't have time to check how full they are.

The response I received from dish was they have no plans to move them to another sat. Looks like I have a decision to make.

Todd

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I know how you feel because when my techs go out to your neck of the woods (Ruckersville, Gordonsville, Charlottesville, and etc.) they say that 129 is very low in elevation and often declare the install as "No Line of Sight" only because 129 would not come in.

The real solution would be to get yourself a DPP44 switch and have DISH Network put in a separate wing dish to get you the 129 signal while leaving your SuperDISH105 alone. If you want better signal albeit an "incorrect" setup, have the tech point the wing dish at 61.5 instead. The big potential problem to this is that if and when your locals leave 105, you'll have to re-align the wing dish to 129 then. Or if DISH puts Charlottesville, VA HD locals on 129, though this is very unlikely to happen anytime soon.

But have hope since Richmond, VA locals moved from 129 to 110 last week. You should write to ceo@dishnetwork.com to address your concern so that they can get some feedback on signal issues near Charlottesville, VA.
Roanke's LIL is on 129 as well..Stupid..We had some techs go up there to help a local retailer as a favor to the DNS office that sends us our work....As you know the topography of the Roanoke area isn't exactly flat...129 is about 22 degrees in EL....Tall trees a few hundred feet away and of course the mpountains were big problems with LOS....I can see where in your area 129 is in a worse location..129 was not thought through very well.....IMO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)