Looking for cheapest option with DVR

kozmocat

Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
I have been a customer for years, and currently have a VIP622 (leased) and am not under contract. I have one HD TV hooked up to the receiver and a standard definition TV on TV2.

My current package is America's Top 120 with Free HD For Life, and HBO. I pay $44.99 + $16 for HBO and $6 DVR fee for a total of $66.99/mo.

I need to cut back as much as possible and am not getting much help from the customer service reps.

I will drop HBO, and am thinking of going to the Dish America package (which is the cheapest from what I am told.) Will the channels that are only HD in the Dish America package still work on the SD tv? Are there any other cheaper packages that are unadvertised?

The receiver will output HD programs in SD format via the TV2 output. You can test that now- the package makes no difference. I don't think Dish Family is available anymore, but you could ask.

I think that you may have the cheapest monthly price possible with a DVR ($6). I was thinking of a 211. However, that is for one HDTV, and then, the monthly fee would be $7 if you needed another Solo receiver for your SDTV. However, you could get another 211 for that TV and make both DVRs with a one-time fee of about $40. Like I said, that would actually add a buck; so, that probably is not going to work.

If you are not under contract, then Dish America may be the lowest advertised package. There is also the Welcome pack with locals ($14.99/month), and there is also Dish Family with locals ($24.99/month). If you are not under contract, you may even be able to add something like a premium without having a package. I am not sure how that works, but I am guessing there is some added fee for not having a base price. Therefore, you probably should just add some sort of base package. The Welcome package and Dish Family should cover that.

Do not forget about those a la carte and premium options if you have some favorite channels. For example, we got the Encore Movie Pack ($5) month because we liked the Encores and MoviePlex; however, it does not have Encore WAM or/and Encore East SD or/and HD.

I will try to attach some files to help you out. :)

Here is a comparison I did of some of the lower packages: View attachment DishNetworkComparison.xls

[Encore Movie Pack can be added for $5 more a month a la carte to packages.]
341 Encore West
342 Encore Westerns
343 Encore Action
344 Encore Mystery
345 Encore Drama
346 Encore Love
377 MoviePlex

The Welcome Pack ($14.99) would include the following:
130 AMC
203 Bloomberg
175 Boomerang
166 CMT
107 Comedy Central
110 Food Network
185 Hallmark
112 Home & Garden Television (ADDED)
120 History
84 HSN
230 ICTV (ADDED) (just a shopping type channel)
209 MSNBC
161 MTV2
127 Oxygen
137 QVC
228 ShopNBC
139 TBS
183 TLC
179 The Hub (formerly Disc Kids)
128 WE: Women's Entertainment
214 The Weather Channel
[I am thinking that Public Interest (PI) and shopping channels will still be there.]

According to Mary (from the Dish Interactive Team [I believe that is what they are called]), this is what is included in the Family package ($24.99/month)...Other CSRs also said it got reinstated......not sure why they got rid of it for a while in the first place]: View attachment formattedDish Family Channels.xls

I hope this helps. :) Let us know how it goes and what you select.

Last edited:
The receiver will output HD programs in SD format via the TV2 output. You can test that now- the package makes no difference. I don't think Dish Family is available anymore, but you could ask.

I have read from other members that they received the SD channel simulcast with the HD channels in the Dish America package. CSRs on here have said that Dish Family is back. I am not sure why Dish got rid of it to start with. I would definitely explore my options. We have Dish Latino Dos; it is the same price as America's Top 120, though. The only thing with the Dish Latino packs are that the channels are in different ranges. For example, HD channels (except locals and RSNs thank goodness) are in the 5000 range; there are no map downs. Some of the SD channels are in the 800 range while the rest are in the same place as the America's Top packages. We also added Encore Movie Pack [for $5/month] a la carte. If you want HD for Life or/and Dish Platinum [optional; $10 month...not sure why since it is longer all HD], you would probably need a package like Dish America, America's Top 120, or Dish Latino Dos, or higher.

Thanks for all of the info! On the Family and the Welcome packs... those are the SD versions of the channels or are any of them HD?

There would be no HD national feed channels on the Welcome Pack or DISH Family, but you would get HD locals (if they're available and provided you have the right equipment). We no longer charge the $5 HD enabling fee.

Thanks for all of the info! On the Family and the Welcome packs... those are the SD versions of the channels or are any of them HD?

Looks like Matt answered your questions. Too bad Dish does not offer the HD Free for Life offer with their Family and Welcome packs. Anyway, at least you can still get locals in HD if they are available in your area. In addition, do not forget that you can add some of those a la carte or premium offerings if you want to these packages.

Dropping the HBO would put you at a pretty good price from what I see and you would still get a nice selection of HD Channels, hope it works out for you!

If I didn't use interactive features or pay per view is there still a monthly fee for not having a phone line connected? I am seriously considering disconnecting the phone line also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts