OTHER Looking for FTA box that can encode and stream to network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ej00807

Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
So I know there many STB receivers that can play streaming IP content. But what I am looking for, is a STB that could stream broadcast the current FTA channel I'm viewing onto my network. This would let me view the current channel on other monitors throughout the house. I haven't shopped a receiver in a very long time, so I have no idea of what's available these days.

So I know there many STB receivers that can play streaming IP content. But what I am looking for, is a STB that could stream broadcast the current FTA channel I'm viewing onto my network. This would let me view the current channel on other monitors throughout the house. I haven't shopped a receiver in a very long time, so I have no idea of what's available these days.
Two receivers that can do this are the Amiko A3 and the Amiko Mini HD SE. The A3 can stream to your phone, tablet or pc however users have experienced some stability issues with this one and, while available, it is no longer being supported in US. The Amiko Mini HD SE can stream to Windows using the program Sat2IP, written by member iBoston, but that receiver is no longer in production so it may be hard to come across one. Currently recommended receivers are the Manhattan DJ1997 and the Linkbox 9000i (also available with an added OTA tuner as the Linkbox 9000i Local). I am uncertain if either of these have streaming capabilities. Perhaps someone who uses one can comment further? :)

Reactions: ej00807
Currently recommended receivers are the Manhattan DJ1997 and the Linkbox 9000i (also available with an added OTA tuner as the Linkbox 9000i Local). I am uncertain if either of these have streaming capabilities. Perhaps someone who uses one can comment further? :)

Good question,FTA4PA.Hopefully someone who knows will answer.

My LinkBox 9000i has options for DLNA DMP and DLNA DMR. It looks like MAYBE the 9000i can receive INCOMING from the network.But to send OUT to the network and view elsewhere? I have no idea. Neither option interests me,so I have not experimented with it.

I should add for the sake of completeness that no receiver (that I know of) will re-encode video. If your network can't handle the full bandwidth of the channel, or your computer can't keep up with decoding it, a bad time will be had.

Years ago, I used windows media encoder to do what you want to do, whether MS still even has a encoder program anymore, I don't know. It wasn't part of Windows, it was a separate free download from MS. You would need a tuner card in a pc, though.

Another option: I have used a Slingbox for many years to access STBs live and recordings both on the LAN and outside of my network via the Internet. Much more control over the encoding and resolution.

I like that idea. I've heard of those, but thought they were for cable.... Do you use web server interface and smart phone to change the channels and so forth? Maybe something like the solo model?
Anyhow thanks!

The Freesat V8 Super has DLNA and SAT2IP listed in the manual and on the website. The website shows the V8 Super with a SCART connector on the back so I was looking at the manual for any details to see if it would work with an adapter to give me RCA video/audio output. Note, the manual shows the V8 Super with built-in RCA video, NOT a SCART! Take that for what it's worth but it does list DLNA and SAT2IP as specification highlights (Support DLNA, SAT To IP).

Also note that the manual does not show the front of the receiver at all and lists the CPU as 350MHz but the website says 800MHz.

Here is the main page, scroll down for the V8 Super (not the Pro listed as 350Mhz) and you'll see it listed as 800MHz. Click on the photo and it'll take you to the details which do not include CPU info other than in the conflicting manual. I think we're dealing with basic operation manuals here which are not exactly model specific.

http://www.freesat.cn/index.asp

They sell for about $55-$60 which is a steal if they work as good as the V7 which is getting pretty good reviews for a $25 box.

I guess there is a V8 Angel that is going to be Android powered and it says KODI in the specs! It looks like it's going to be an interesting box and is on on the front page. I'm looking for Network/Youtube/Fast CPU/and some way to get composite out so I'll post any other good receivers I find. There is the X Square receivers too but I don't know much about them other than they appear to be more expensive (They're here: http://www.x2sat.com).

Also, I seen an Amazon review from a guy who was upset that a Freesat V7 receiver wouldn't receive US satellites. They will, you have to manually add/edit the US satellites. I wouldn't want newer people here to be confused by that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)