Looking for honest opinions:DirecTV vs Dish Network

klee

Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
OK so here are my needs:

DBS system

2 TVs in 2 rooms

Standard Def TVs (no HD in the near term)

Independent viewing of different TV stations in each room

I want to have the max TV channels but I don't want/need any movie channels (HBO, Cinemax, ect.)

I like sports, but not enough to pay hundreds of dollars a year for NFL prime ticket...and DVR recording, while nice, is not necessary...

With this is mind, and with all thing being equal, which is better, DirecTV or Dish Network?

Keep in mind I am a total n00b and I don't know any details about the value/reliablity of each system

I am located in Mohave Valley AZ (close to Laughlin, NV)

It seems to me that Dish Network (I am looking at the 180channel+locals packege) is a few dollars cheaper than DirecTV.....is Dish a better value or do you get what you pay for?

Since you don't care about movie channels and if you don't have to have Sirius music channels or the super stations. I would say that DirecTV Total choice will give you the best bang for the $.

NightRyder

BTW For the record I am a Dish subscriber.

i think dish gives you the best bang for the buck.. once you get hooked on sirius you wont want to go back.. after all directv doesnt have anything that compares to sirius.. pritty much everything is on both dish and dtv.. with the exception of nfl sunday ticket... dish is cheeper and prices are garenteed

I would go E* One receiver(322) 2 independent tv's and no additional receiver charge(if you plug in a phoneline)

I have been with Dish for 7 years. You can argue various differences but for me you need Dish equipment to get the 36 Sky Angel channels so for me it is a no brainer. Dish. Sometimes your geography can determine your decision too as in trees or buildings blocking one provider but not the other.

I made the switch from cable to Dishnetwork back in March and I love it. I have the 811, 301, & 322 receivers, unlike yourself I have a 4 room system, including the HD package for the 811.

I have never tried DirecTv so I can not comment on their service.

If you say you are not interested in the NFL Season Ticket that is only offered through DirecTv then I would really recommend DishNetwork myself, because of cost.

Like stated in an earlier post since you only need a receiver for to rooms with DishNetwork you can get the 322 which controls 2 TVs with one receiver with the phone line connected without the charge of a second receiver every month.I have the 322 myself and I have no problems with it since having it installed back in March. I lease through Dish and for ME that works out great.

Hope this helps in your decision.

I sell Dish and Directv for a living I have done this since their inception the better service has changed over time. Right now I would recommend Directv over DISH NOTWERK. Directv has better recent history with J.D.Powers award for customer service, Directv has a better programming package Total Choice Plus $42.99 versus AT-180 $49.99 including movie services TMC and Encore. Directv also offers two tuner TiVo that works far more reliably that DISH DVR's. If you are looking for programming bargains look at Directv Para Todos packages Starting at $26.99 with 50+ english channels it may satisfy your programming needs.

In addition with "D" you do not get hit with a $5 dollar fee for dropping movie channels or downgrading. You can add or delete via telephone prompting.

Plus with Directv if you want the Tivo boxes you can have as many as you like and only pay ONE $5 DVR fee and you would just pay the usual $5 mirroring fee. With DISH they make you pay a $5 DVR fee for every box you have on top of the $5 mirroring fee.

I like that and the stable receivers they have. Never had a problem with a D* receiver.

might i mind you for jd power award dish is ahead of dtv in the runnings this year... something about the 522 and 322's that you might want to consider.. is that you will have three lines for it.. two going to the reciver for the two tuners one backfeed. (going to 2nd tv..) most installers will use existing lines inside your house for the backfeed whenever possable so if your getting rid of cable this is a viable option.. personally i like to use exsisting wire for my backfeeds to keep from having wires everyware... i just cant wait for dpp to come out so we can do one wire for dule tuners.. it would be even better.. i would recommend dish over dtv any day.. might i also remind you if your looking for interactive tv.. like games, sports, weather, news, and the new upcoming NBC showcase interactive... dish is the way to go.. it surpasses dtv any day..

one more thing... for the 522 there is no additional box fee for the 2nd tuner... no additional dvr fee to have dvr capabilites on the 2nd tuner.. all you pay is 5 dollas a month if you dont subscribe to at 180 and above.. if you do subscribe to that package there are no fees... for dvr at all...

KLEE - Bang for the buck for a standard def two room system with no movie channels would definitely go to DirecTV. Their $40 package has quite a few more non-movie channels than Dish's $40 package. (NFL Network, Trio, Oxygen, Hallmark, Nat'l Geographic, Newsworld Int'l, Outdoor Life Net, FitTV, Fine Living, Fox Movies, Bloomberg, CNBC World), many of which aren't available on Dish at any price.

For $3 more ($43/mo), you get everything in Dish's $50 package, minus the Encore Movies: Biography, Boomerang, Soap, Nicktoons, Discovery Kids-Home-Times-Wings, DIY, Fuel, History Int, PBS Kids, Science, and VH! Classic.

Dish has the Sirius music channels. They are better than their old music channels in terms of musical selection. However, the DJ's can be annoying. After the initial novelty wore off, I hardly ever listen to them anyway. I doubt you will either. DircTV's Music Choice is probably just fine for most people.

Both company's standard HW is free. But, if you want DVR's, DirecTV's Tivo DVR's will cost $50-100 eac., But, they are much more reliable than Dish's 522 model, and, they have two tuners vs. a single tuner on Dish's fairly reliable 510 model.

DirecTV also uses genuine Tivo software, which is better than Dish's simple DVR software. And, DirecTV charges one $5 DVR fee per account vs. Dish charging $5 per receiver.

Finally, I know you said you don't care about NFL Sunday Ticket. But, you get 4 months free programming when you order Sunday Ticket from DirecTV. So, it's really like getting Sunday Ticket for free, and paying for programming. Also, if you order DirecTV online, you get a free DVD Player.

Oh yeah. I'm a Dish subscriber, BTW. They offer two things that DirecTV doesn't: Superstations, and insane amounts of foreign-language prgramming. WPIX and TVJapan keep my household attached to Dish.

Whoever you go with, don't just assume you won't be desiring a DVR. In my experience, that is the thing to have. I'm a new satellite person, only about 3 months with Dish. The DirectTV folks bash the 522 as nowhere near their Tivo. That may be, but I've never had a Tivo to compare for myself. However, the 522 DVR is miles and miles and miles ahead of where I was with just a VCR. I figured with Dish, which cost me nothing to have installed and no committment, that it would be no problem to either cancel or switch to DirectTV if I later chose to. I like testing the waters for free, so to speak (both the satellite and DVR waters). Of course monthly fees apply, but it all came in right about the same as I was paying for analog cable with no DVR. Four rooms of my house were wired for free as well. I can use that wiring for either DirectTV or cable later on. My decision was based on "get the most for the least money", with emphasis on "least money". Dish won that competition when I made my purchase (times may have changed however). If either Dish or DirectTV were so clearly superior to the other, I doubt we'd be having this conversation right now. On any given detail one company might well win over the other. If that particular detail is very important to you, use that as your guide. I'm just now starting to learn all the details, but I still haven't found a compelling reason for ME to switch. Despite having strangers walk into my house and spit on my 522 three or four times a day!

I had the same decision to make four months ago. I have three TVs and a Tivo. While the programming charges are similar, going with a 522 and a 322 for 4 sets was a no brainer. Having had a Tivo, my family no longer watches live TV. Programming was not an issue. None of us cares a whit about sports and both companies had more channels than the analog cable we were abandoning.

After having used both the 522 and the Tivo, this is also a no-brainer. The ability to have two tuners and watch different things on the 522 is a nice draw. Unfortunately, Dish forgot a couple of basic features; like recording a program and playing it back.

My 4-year old Tivo, which hasn't had a software update in three years is more reliable, easier to use, and just plain works. The 522, which has had at least 4 software versions in 4 months, seems to blaze new trails in finding things to break.

Being a beta tester for Tivo was less frustrating than being a mainstream user for the 522.

With that being said, for me, I would go with Dish because of the lower incidental fees ($5 per month per receiver). If you want a DVR, save the $5.00 per month DVR fee and get a Tivo. The couple of extra bucks will be well-spent.

Good luck. Whatever you do, you'll be ahead of cable!

boba said:
I sell Dish and Directv for a living I have done this since their inception the better service has changed over time. Right now I would recommend Directv over DISH NOTWERK. Directv has better recent history with J.D.Powers award for customer service, Directv has a better programming package Total Choice Plus $42.99 versus AT-180 $49.99 including movie services TMC and Encore. Directv also offers two tuner TiVo that works far more reliably that DISH DVR's. If you are looking for programming bargains look at Directv Para Todos packages Starting at $26.99 with 50+ english channels it may satisfy your programming needs.

What a grave disservice you to do to potential Dish Network customers. I can't even recall the last semi-positive thing you managed to contribute regarding them as a multi-channel service provider. Why even continue the charade of selling a product or service you clearly have zero faith or interest in promoting in a positive light? Your customers deserve so much better insight then the jaded views I've seen from you over the last few years.

Garypen, you do get all those channels minus Encore with the Total Choice Plus package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)