Looking for Indoor antenna for towers @ 30mi

ramosz83

Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
ct
I finally got a new Vizio hdtv and want to get some OTA digital/ HD channels. I will soon be in CT on a Second story (Top floor) apartment that does not allow antennas outside. I have used antennaweb and found that most of my channels are UHF ~26miles away a 24 degrees and one VHF 1 degree 6-8 miles away.

SO I am in need of an indoor antenna that can do the job. I will probably be hooking up the antenna to my HTPC in a couple months once I get a tuner card. Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to figure out what to do. . . by the way my zip is 06511

Thanks,
ramosz83:up

If you have a window facing approximately the right direction I would mount an Aspen Eagle 2BUHF 2 bay bowtie antenna in it. Suction cups or eye hooks should do for mounting and run cable to receiver/TV.

I know that something outside would be much better. But for this distance are there any indoor alternatives or is it too far to get good quality from something indoors?

I know that something outside would be much better. But for this distance are there any indoor alternatives or is it too far to get good quality from something indoors?

If you have a window roughly facing the direction of the signal, you might have a chance with a good indoor antenna.

By the way, if the antenna can fit entirely on your balcony and not hang over the side, I believe the OTARD law is on your side -- you could use an outdoor antenna on the balcony pointed in the right direction. If it extended out over the balcony, they could restrict you. Something like a 4221 or a ClearStream2 might work if you can face it roughly due north since you have signals at 350º and at 11º. Neither of these are all that hot with high VHF but given the strength of your signals, I'll bet they work to pick up WTNH (assuming that's the VHF you're talking about).

The law says they can't stop you from putting an antenna outside on your balcony if it doesn't protrude outside the balcony area.

Do you have a lot of tall buildings around you? That could cause additional problems with a wide-beam antenna and multipath, and could require a different solution.

I don't have a balcony in the apartment, so the only way to do it is to hang it on the inside of the window to attempt to get good reception. I am on the second story, there are other 2 story buildings around and there are not too many tall buildings north, the University is south of me, but all the towers are due north.

It still seems like an outside antenna will not work... still any suggestions on a good indoor antenna or does it seem not plausible?

Zenith Silver Sensor is recommended for many indoor applications. The Aspen DTV2BUHF is cheaper on the internet than the Silver Sensor and small in size so it can be used indoors.

I get signals from 30 miles away, line of sight, with a Terk HDTVa (amplified). They are mostly duplicates of the stuff from the main towers in the opposite direction, so I don't pay much attention to them. But they can be tuned, and occasionally even come in off the back end of my antenna in the garage attic. The best spot for me turned out to be the middle of the room, not the window. Eventually I moved it to the garage attic, to cut out interference from people, microwaves and airplanes.

The Terk is a combo antenna, UHF resembling the silver sensor, plus rabbit ears. Some people have used outdoor antennas indoors, they just put it on the wall or in a weighted stand. My other antennas are homemade 4 bays. They do as well as the Terk except in my worst room, away from the towers. For that the amp helped me get the last two stations. When I got my Terk, Amazon was the best price, but it varies. There is something to be said for buying local, so you can try a few out, and return the ones that don't work.

make your own antenna

you can buy a DB4 and pay 30 bucks and up, buy why not make one for cheap that works better than the store bought ones you have to plug in and eat more
electricity. check out this website: tvantennaplans (dot) com, it plainly describes plans for the DB4 and also has links to youtube videos and reviews
from people that have made one already. Mine works fine laying in a chair. Just watch your signal strength meter and orient it until you get the max then leave it in that position. No need to go outside. I'm pick all available channels in my area, but then I was getting them all with my mast mounted outside antenna as well. But like I said, this homemade DB4 is doing it laying on a chair. I will build a DB8 just for shiggles, don't really need it as the DB4 easily meets my OTA needs.

enjoy,
punch in TEXAS

no offence to you retailers

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts