Looking for new printer

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Have an old, reliable Canon inkjet, but wanting to get something wireless capable to print from iPad and the rare photo print. Already have a very good scanner, so that is not necessary. The Epson 410 seems to be the most popular of late. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
All inkjet printers today print very well. The only problem is the ink cartridges are a major ripe off. Ounce for ounce ink is more expensive than blood, water or gas. The ink jet industry has micro chips on the cartridges to deter you from refilling them. Also the cartridges hold far less ink than they used too.

If you do a lot of printing, a laser printer might be the better choice in the long run.

Lamentably, most of the devices that feature AirPrint are MFPs (or cost more than an comparable MFP). There are several reviews but I'd pay special attention to the per-page costs. As it turns out, it isn't as economical to print from phones, tablets and similar as it should be.

The cost on the Android side is having a computer with Chrome installed on it; something I consider to be too high a price.

Look at Brother. I have a MFC-9130CW, but that's an All-in-one. They have some NICE laser printers, etc, that are wireless.

I vote for Brother as well. Before you buy a specific model check Amazon to see what the price is for generic ink refills. My old brother all in one takes 3 color and one black cartridge. The last time I bought ink I got 2 of each color and 4 black cartridges for about $12.

I have a Brother laser that works real well too. Just bought an Epson inkjet for the wife and that works real nice on wireless, though I don't print from any Apple devices. The Epson replaced a Kodak that was only a year old and was a horrible printer, don't get Kodak.

Another vote for Brother.We have an aio w/fax.It's wireless,works great with the kindle and samsung tablets too.I was also able to find some generic ink on amazon,saved a bundle that way,works just as well as oem.

Thanks for the input. Ended up getting a Canon Pixma MG5420. I looked closely at Brother, but I have always been pleased with Canon's photo print quality even on their cheaper models. Got it the day after Christmas at OfficeMax for $20 less than Amazon. Have not set it up yet, so I hope I will like my decision. Ink on eBay not much more than what I paid for before.

I would have given you 2 Cannon pixmas!:D They do print with great quality but,the ink was steep.

I would have given you 2 Cannon pixmas!:D They do print with great quality but,the ink was steep.
Well, like I said, plenty of cheap, OEM sellers on eBay. Did some prints today...stellar!

Thanks for the input. Ended up getting a Canon Pixma MG5420. I looked closely at Brother, but I have always been pleased with Canon's photo print quality even on their cheaper models. Got it the day after Christmas at OfficeMax for $20 less than Amazon. Have not set it up yet, so I hope I will like my decision. Ink on eBay not much more than what I paid for before.

I picked up the Samsclub version, 5422, for my mom. Great printer. Was easy to setup.

Have set it up, been printing like crazy from two iPhones and a Pad..could not be happier. Yes a little slow for photos, but who cares? An equivilant Brother would be about $75 more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)