Looking for one way satellite service

William I moved your post here and started a new thread, you will get better replies. That other thread you posted in was over 6 years old and in the FTA forum.

From what I gathered, from where I moved it from, he was thinking it was cheaper. I have no idea, I have not messed with a system like that in years and don't even know if it is still available. If there still is a $29 service still out there, and say you pay $10-$15 for dial-up on top of that, then why not just drop dial-up and get the lowest tier of Hughes or Excede?

Well, one-way providers are typically local or regional. So the first job is to narrow down the already small list to those that will serve a Michigan customer. These providers are usually only resellers. They typically lease a block of satellite space from a real satellite provider, add their profit margin, and resell it to their own customer base. I don't think I've ever seen one advertised faster than (up to) 512kbps receive. And if you're old enough to remember, your phone line send will never be any faster than 44kbps. Given the content-heavy web pages these days, those are excruciatingly long page loads. And software updates are getting larger all the time too, as companies assume more and more folks are moving to REAL broadband.

Next is the always-on feature. It's not there. One-way connections are OFF until your dialup modem physically connects. And finally there's cost. First provider that my search engine brought back was Global. Note the $49.95/month, then add to that the cost of a second phone line AND the possible cost of a 2nd (dial up) internet account. Compare it to national TWO-way products like HughesNet and Exede, each with entry level. Pretty sure both currently have $49.99 basic plans.

I tried to find SkyFX and SkyWay USA websites, and it looks like they're both tango uniform. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that anybody still tries to sell one-way.

//greg//

A number of years ago, I had DirecPC which at the time, was a one-way service. Only reason I got it was that it sucked less than dialup and was the only thing available beyond dialup in our rural area for many years. What with data caps that Hughes denied having (lookup FAP & DirecPC and the lawsuit), and the cost of both the dialup for the up channel and the cost of DirecPC itself, it was no bargain. And it really did suck just slightly less than dialup.

No way would I even consider that again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)