Looking for OpenBox Sathawk PVR hard drive suggestions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

odinbear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
central NY
Playing lastnight, I hit record (with a 2gb usb thumbdrive in back of receiver). Recorded and playedback 45secs of video with no problem) . SWEET! Now I think it'll be fun to get a BIG DRIVE to record on so, Combed the forums and only found the IOMEGA 1TB drive from Tigerdirect being a suggested USB Drive for the openbox. 70.bucks is reasonable but, What other suggestions do you guys have and what are you using?
(I have no LARGE old drives just sitting around else I'd "recycle")

I used a 320GB WD drive. Have had it for a couple years now and has worked fine on the Visionsat, Azbox, SSO and now the Visionsat again :)

I wouldnt try and go higher than 1TB.

it's gotta have it's own power vs. pulling it thru the USB, though. right? You got your drive in a power enclosure?
hehe 1tb is already alot but if nobody is having issues with the iomega and it's 1tb capacity, IT certainly seems to be a good bang-fer-buck-an-value. But, I've owned several IOMEGA tape drives over the years an sometimes wasn't impressed.

it's gotta have it's own power vs. pulling it thru the USB, though. right?
yep

You got your drive in a power enclosure?
Its just one of those 320GB drives you buy at wally world, BB, etc. Bought it when I first got the Visionsat to record stuff 3 years ago

I thought maybe Brain might make a comment --SatelliteAV --or you could check the Glorystar support forum. I KNOW it is a diferent box but the threads on what works for the Glorystar boxes have quite a bit of information --- ie. do not get a drive enclosure/drive that auto sleeps and those with the one touch backup have caused SOME to have problems.
Just my $0.0002 worth! (may be worth less than an old green stamp!)
POP

Using an NTFS-formatted WD Elements 500 GB drive on my Openbox. Unfortunately, the Visionsat receivers require FAT32-formatted drives.

I tried a Buffalo 500G, a Seagate 2T and a Seagate 500G on my OSS, all were self powered and all worked perfectly no matter the format was FAT or NTFS.

Originally I used the Buffalo that I 'stole' from my CNX DUO, moved that to the OSS, worked GREAT. Then Phottoette gave me the Seagate 2T, which I used for about a month, but realized that she needed it more than I did, her computer is used for editing video and it was sort of selfish of me to have something that big just for recording programs that I deleted after watching, so we bought this new USB powered 500G, and that worked just great.

I have to say, maybe I'm just lucky about this, but I haven't tried anything that DIDN'T work (yet).

Photto

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)