Looking for OTA answers/opinions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

StVitus

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New england
Hi all,

I've been looking through here for a bit and everyone seems crazy knowledgeable. But since I'm not finding a situation similar to my own and I don't want to screw this up, I figured I'd just ask.

For some reason I cant post a link to my report, but judging from the info below, is OTA a viable option and if so, how much antenna/amp do I need? Signal strength seems to degrade pretty quick, but I didn't want to buy a ninety inch antenna if I don't need one.

Range of stations I want have NM's between 57.4 and 18.0, with the 18 being Boston MA 65M south with a double edge path.

Peak of my roof is probably over 30 feet. Single TV setup, about 17 linear feet and one flight down from where the antenna would be.

Some trees in my area, but I'm on a hilltop.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

With NM values of 57 down to 18 I think you will have good results with a standard non-amplified setup. Being on a hilltop is great and trees aren't generally a problem.

If you want to post your zip code we can look at your TV Fool report. Also which markets/stations are you interested in watching?

I've attached my report. Don't know why it wont let me make a hyperlink. Too few posts maybe? I live on the southern edge of 03878 if the attachment doesn't work. I emphasize southern edge because due north gets very hilly.

Anyway, I'd be happy to wring PBS and the three major networks out of it, but basically I'd like as much as i could get without going too far over $200 in equipment. If its more spendy, that's fine, but I'm just looking for options. Beats 35/mo for the same ten channels.

You you think it would be possible to get as far down the list as WLVI? Does it even work like that? I'm having trouble figuring out how to find net noise margin with equipment included. If TV fool says the stations in yellow are possible if I go rooftop, is that accurate, or is my report overly optimistic?

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• TVFool report.png
    TVFool report.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 183
The LOS PBS and ION stations are easy to get and probably would come in on an indoor antenna. The other UHF stations in the yellow would require at least something like a small 4 bay antenna on the roof. WMTW is a VHF-Hi station and would probably need more gain than the 4 bay could provide. A big part of your antenna decision depends on if you're going to use a rotor for multiple markets. If you just want the stations out of Boston then something like an Antennas Direct 91XG in a fixed postion should get all the major networks there. If you are going to move the antenna to get VHF stations like WMUR and WMTW then you are going to need a larger VHF-Hi/UHF combo antenna.

Since your antenna cable will be no more than 20 feet and on one TV an amp will probably be unnecessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)