Looking for SDR that will cover 100KHz to 3 GHz ranges

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I plan on using SDR for android phone for broad radio spectrum ranges using analog and digital modes.

Manly on data feeds, ACARS, ADBS in the VHF,UHF,SHF and digital video on BAS 2.025 to 2.110 GHz DVB-T ranges. :hungry

Same goes for HF digital modes like PSK,RTTY and DRM.

SSTV is a bonus if there a Android software.

Great for traveling use with SDR with Android phone.

Any ideas for what the best SDR brands that will do the job.

Plan to spend $ 20 to 80 ranges.

Thanks!:hatsoff

Reactions: spongella
I have the SDRPlay RSP2pro2 that covers 1KHz to 2GHz and its a very good performer. I think its discontinued now and replaced by the RSPdx with similar specs. I've used mine with a Windows machine and Raspberry Pi but not an Android phone. Current price on the RSPdx is around $199 and they also have a RSP1A in the $119 range but I've not used it. If you are a seasoned SWL then you may not be happy with the really cheap units that drift and offer limited dynamic range.

Reactions: N5XZS
Not aware of any product with that broad of frequency range, with that low of a price point or offers stability. Pick one... maybe get two, but not all three.

I also use the RSP2pro with Win10. A very good device for my needs.

A little off topic but I picked up an Airspy Discovery for $130 shipped during a Black Friday sale. I'm having a lot of fun with it even though I only have a crappy wire antenna strung across the room. I cant wait to see what it will do with a proper antenna.

Reactions: Titanium and N5XZS
I'd have suggested the HackRF One, but it's advertised as covering 1 meg to 6 gigs and costs a lot more than what you have budgeted. I've owned two in the past and found them to be good down to the AM broadcast band. You can use SDR# to run it but not sure about other software. I don't think any current SDR covers what you want.

Hackrf one looks tempting to me going from 1 KHz to 6 GHz.

Now the big question is will Hackrf one handle Android SDR software and the driver?

May have to save some more money for this brand. :) :hungry

It appears that most of the Android apps only support the RTL-SDR dongles.

The HackRF works with GNU Radio and SDR#.

There's a guy on YouTube that did a software library but it doesn't have any familiar radio features (like decoding or waveform display). It records and transmits back the recorded signal.

A few friends have the HackRF One and say you really need to run it on a Linux machine to use all its features. Its A/D converter is also less bits and less dynamic range/performance than similar priced units from Airspy and SDRPlay.

I'd have suggested the HackRF One, but it's advertised as covering 1 meg to 6 gigs and costs a lot more than what you have budgeted. I've owned two in the past and found them to be good down to the AM broadcast band. You can use SDR# to run it but not sure about other software. I don't think any current SDR covers what you want.

My experience with the cheap ebay rtl-sdr that's out there was just ok.
But once I got my SDRPlay RSP2 Pro things were more enjoyable. Although SDR# will only work with it on older versions.
And some brain trust at SDRPlay decided it was a good idea block out cellular bands in the new versions of sdruno.
Like we can do much in those bands anyways except for hearing digital hiss.
I'd say save your money and buy something with good reviews.
My experience, at least where I live, is that things are dead above 1.2GHz.
In any aspect you'll need to factor in a bias tee LNA to hang on the end of the antenna input for VHF-UHF.
I'd ask how much VHF-UHF digital modes have you had experience with?
As well as HF digital decoding.
Because for what an RTL-SDR based radio costs it would be a way to get your feet wet and decide later on if you really wanted to spend what it takes to buy a decent SDR based radio.
I just don't think 80 bucks is going to hack it and will leaving you wishing you had gone the distance in the first place.

My experience with the cheap ebay rtl-sdr that's out there was just ok.
But once I got my SDRPlay RSP2 Pro things were more enjoyable. Although SDR# will only work with it on older versions.
And some brain trust at SDRPlay decided it was a good idea block out cellular bands in the new versions of sdruno.
Like we can do much in those bands anyways except for hearing digital hiss.
I'd say save your money and buy something with good reviews.
My experience, at least where I live, is that things are dead above 1.2GHz.
In any aspect you'll need to factor in a bias tee LNA to hang on the end of the antenna input for VHF-UHF.
I'd ask how much VHF-UHF digital modes have you had experience with?
As well as HF digital decoding.
Because for what an RTL-SDR based radio costs it would be a way to get your feet wet and decide later on if you really wanted to spend what it takes to buy a decent SDR based radio.
I just don't think 80 bucks is going to hack it and will leaving you wishing you had gone the distance in the first place.
Forgot to add that if you're planning on doing any trunking you will need an additional SDR to handle the control channel.

The garden variety SDR dongles do not block the cellular bands as was stated by arlo and that's good because here in NJ there are definitely police comms on the lower end of the band.

As for the HackRFOne, I used it only as a broadband receiver with SDR#. but it was designed for other purposes and for that you'd want to use Linux, as stated earlier. My old brain could not handle the complicated Linux and GNURadio world though hi hi. Interestingly I found the RTL-SDR to be more sensitive in the 400 MHz range vs the Hack when using a discone on the roof.

I done hamming on 23 Cm mostly FM mode. As for RX C-band, Ku and Ka band " Dump DirecTV I am a cord cutter. :) "

I love learing new toys in this day and ages!:bounce

We are so close to Star Trek ages!!:)

The garden variety SDR dongles do not block the cellular bands as was stated by arlo and that's good because here in NJ there are definitely police comms on the lower end of the band.

As for the HackRFOne, I used it only as a broadband receiver with SDR#. but it was designed for other purposes and for that you'd want to use Linux, as stated earlier. My old brain could not handle the complicated Linux and GNURadio world though hi hi. Interestingly I found the RTL-SDR to be more sensitive in the 400 MHz range vs the Hack when using a discone on the roof.

True about band range blocks. In the case of SDRPlay they did it in software.
So although their receivers are DC to Daylight radios, currently I see they have those bands blocked in the changelog.
Crazy. SDR# has a bug up their keester where using SDRPlay is a no go in recent software. But there are older versions that do work.
It took SDRUNO a long time to implement scan and store function. Nuts because what radio wouldn't you want to scan a freq range with? Again, SDR# has tons of plugins to do all sorts of cool things.
Prosumer SDR radios like the ICOM IC-R8600 have cell bands blocked but a govt. model is available if you have ze-papers.
Lets see what the modders do. I'm pretty sure it won't be a resistor config change on a board.
RTL dongles have piles of adapters for not much money. Mostly though the radio is a radio. It's the software used to run it that makes them cool. Read, compare, and decide what's best for your needs and budget. And don't forget the cables and adapters.

Anyway, I just ordered RTL SDR for the time being. Can't wait to play the new toy!! :clapping :hungry
I have several different variants of those, I have collected over the years. They are fine to get your feet wet, and some are better than others.

What you think of SDR Sharp software for windows 10? is there a better version for window? For me it looks impressive! Been test playing the SDR Sharp's software. My SDR dongle should be anytime soon!:clapping:bounce

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)