Looking like Wireless Joey is the only choice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
Currently in the process of moving from CA to CO. Prior home is two-story, wood-frame, with attic access, et al. Been a DISH customer since 1995,been thru all the iterations. Better half didn't want to see cables strung along the baseboard, was able to run RG-6 wiring thru the attic and down through interior walls into the first and second levels, kept it all looking good without exposed wiring. Had the Hopper w/3 Joeys, loved it! Setup was a breeze for the DISH Tech with the home distribution network already in place. Since we are not totally moved, still have my main DISH account active in CA, so haven't set up what I will be doing in CO, re: which DISH system.

New place in CO is a town home, two main levels and a loft. Prior owner had DISH, old 500 dish still in place on the roof outside the loft, which has access via a large opening window onto a sort of flat roof "well" area. Dish input cable comes thru the exterior wall into a closet in the loft, at which point it was connected to a three-way splitter, which has RG-59 cables installed by the original builder way back when, wired into the walls before they were dry-walled, leading to three rooms. I really don't know if he had a receiver in the loft with an RF remote he controlled from wherever he was viewing, or if he brought the dish signal directly to the viewing room and a DISH receiver at that point. I do know he did not have HD service, based on a copy of some DISH paperwork he left with other household files for my benefit.

After reading the thread in the main DISH forum titled http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...-how-installer-prefers-wiring-ruff-in.338800/ I don't want to tear up walls and/or ceilings to run 3MhZ cabling for the Hopper/Joey setup.

If I could have the Hopper set up in the loft , and wireless Joeys at the viewing locations, I think that would solve my problems. However, reading some of the comments about the range of the wireless Joey make me wonder if that setup would work. This is a wood-frame structure, the main television viewing room is on the lowest level, pretty much a straight shot down below the potential Hopper locale, and approximately thirty feet away, with two wooden floors between. The reluctance to run new 3MhZ cable extends to Cat5/6 cable as well, in case anyone is thinking hard-wired ethernet.

Any comments by early adopters of the wireless Joey as to effective range through intervening structural members would be much appreciated. Or any comments regarding possible ways to extend the wireless Joey signal, like that which is possible with the wi-fi extenders readily available.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The most important thing is to have RG6 cables run to the Node. From the Node you need an RG6 cable to the Hopper and the cable coming off the Client side of the Node can be RG59.

My parents house had all RG-59 and the hopper system really cleaned things up over the old receivers requiring RG6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may already have your solution, but, in town houses I have lived in there were double walls between the units. I was able to fish cables between the walls by cutting an access panel in the attic.

'You may already have your solution, but, in town houses I have lived in there were double walls between the units. I was able to fish cables between the walls by cutting an access panel in the attic.'

Alas, cathedral ceilings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)