Looking to add Canadian TV

SirChaos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Marysville, WA
Hey Everyone,
I live in Washington State (about 2 hours from Vancouver BC) and I'm looking to get Canadian TV again.

I was able to watch CBC on cable, but now that I have Directv - I no longer have that option.

I am willing to install the equipment myself and I also have a friend that lives on Vancouver Island (for an address).

So....looking for input! Any ideas?

- Chase

which part of washington are you in? I'm your neighbors too. ^^__^^

Have you ever had BEV satellite tv before? do u know how many satellites Telesat uses to transmit their signal? I'm not far away from Victoria. I actually live in lynnwood (alderwood mall). don't tell me you're in mercer island, right? You need a pair of 30" dishes for service. Head onto Satellite Communications, Satellite Internet, and VPN Networks - Telesat Canada Communications for aiming coordinates. Welcome come onboard to Bell instead of starchoice because installation & activation is no brainer to an average joe like myself. :eureka:)

Feel free to ask more.

I would suggest you call your friend on Vancouver Island and ask if he is receiving any Canadian satellite tv.
If so, ask him if he will purchase you a receiver of your choice along with a dish and LNBF.
Have it authorized at his house and billing by automatic credit card deduction on your credit card each month.
After it is working, go up and take everything home and install dish.
Any literature mailings can be forwarded to you by friend.
Remember when paying your friend, the Canadian dollar is worth more than the Jefferson now. :D

You can go the gray market route canam but you will pay a premium for the equipment. If you have a friend in Canada I would explore options using his address and dealing directly with BEV/SC.

If your friend does not have Star Choice, that would be the way to go since you can get the programming you want for $20/month.

SC no longer sells the dish with the receiver as they do free dish installs for new customers. However, if you search EBay right now, you will find some new "old stock" DSR 305 receivers packed with a new dish. They are in Thornhill B.C.

Just set the system up. Call SC to get it activated. Use your friends address phone etc, but your credit card. After you are on, go to the SC website and sign up for online credit card payments.

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the replys!

Well....my friend does not have SAT service, he has cable - so he would be a new customer if he was to establish service.

Secondly...

Other then e-bay, is there a place on the web where I can buy this equipment outright?

Thirdly....

For billing, they can bill to a credit card that has a billing address in the US?

Thanks for all your help!

Chase Nunes

Yes having a satellite provider in either country charge a credit card in the other country is done without question every day by many people.
I even give them my cell phone number which is my only phone, no land lines in the house. That way no phone line is expected to be plugged into the receiver.

You may want to go through a broker for your equipment and contact. Good threads here about Kusat and also this http://www.global-cm.net/ .
Click on The Canadian Solution for info.

Remember to ask about having your guide set for Pacific Time Zone. Sometimes customers have a time zone not to their liking.

A reverse question for you guys as a Canadian would you suggest the same to get an American system ( get an American address)? Which would be better Direct or Dish, what I am looking for is the most HD I can get and it must be a PVR. Do both American providers not care where the credit card comes from as long as it goes through each month?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'd also recommend you buy Starchoice equipment via KuSat and then get it activated via your friend's address and phone number. Then either install yourself or find someone that does contract work for Direct or Dish to install. It's worth it, believe me.

For Canada45, I'd recommend Dish Network (they're my Amercian Sat provider)

A reverse question for you guys as a Canadian would you suggest the same to get an American system ( get an American address)? Which would be better Direct or Dish, what I am looking for is the most HD I can get and it must be a PVR. Do both American providers not care where the credit card comes from as long as it goes through each month?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I know of Canadians that have Dish receivers authorized for an area that they can receive the local networks from and using a real address from that town usually an apartment buiding as their service address.

Their billing address can be a different area like a friends house. The phone number provided is a Canadian cell number. Service address uses only cell phone, no land line phone there.

Have monthly automatic deduction from your credit card. No questions asked.
Happens in both countries.

It's a lot harder to get US prog. in Canada...

I had to jump through hoops to get my DN system activated. They checked to see if the address had been previously used and then asked for a social security number. Luckily, I used my sister in laws but this is absurd. In Canada I give out my SS (SI) number only to an employer and refuse it if anyone asks on credit applications. By law they can not demand it for approval. Seems it is not so in the US.

My $0.02

Satboyz

Here's a question to see if anyone knows. I am in North Texas. ZIP 76180 area. I know I can get SC here but can I recieve the BEV signal from all of the sat's? I know they hae moved the footprints around the past couple of years but just wondering where they are at right now or where they will be at in the future.

I had to jump through hoops to get my DN system activated. They checked to see if the address had been previously used and then asked for a social security number. Luckily, I used my sister in laws but this is absurd. In Canada I give out my SS (SI) number only to an employer and refuse it if anyone asks on credit applications. By law they can not demand it for approval. Seems it is not so in the US.

My $0.02

Satboyz

You get around that business about the social security number if you tell them from the outset that you are a Canadian wanting a satellite system for your second residence or vacation home in the town of wherever. You also give them your Canadian cell phone number as that is what you use at your second home. You are buying and installing the system yourself.

I'd also recommend you buy Starchoice equipment via KuSat and then get it activated via your friend's address and phone number. Then either install yourself or find someone that does contract work for Direct or Dish to install. It's worth it, believe me.

For Canada45, I'd recommend Dish Network (they're my Amercian Sat provider)

I think I will be going this route. This way I can select exactly which equipment I want (HD Box) etc.

Thanks so much for all your help!

I will keep you all posted!

- Chase

Greattttttttttt!!!!

You get around that business about the social security number if you tell them from the outset that you are a Canadian wanting a satellite system for your second residence or vacation home in the town of wherever. You also give them your Canadian cell phone number as that is what you use at your second home. You are buying and installing the system yourself.

I like that, that is the way to go. So where is the best retailer to get equipment in North Dakota? I want the dish and receivers, easy to get it set up here, lots of installers want the cash deals. Thanks in advance for the information.:)

I like that, that is the way to go. So where is the best retailer to get equipment in North Dakota? I want the dish and receivers, easy to get it set up here, lots of installers want the cash deals. Thanks in advance for the information.:)

Your post #8 and post #15 have me confused as they appear to be in opposition to one another.
However, equipment can be purchased from information in post #7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)