Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
JUST KIDDING! But I did get your attention! I am pondering switching to FTA since it will afford me a wider selection of unencrypted free TV. I have read a lil bit about what is up there but I did not see a lot of information on High Definition programming and I would like to know where one of you experts (Ice, & Others) are looking for the FTA hardware to go in the next year.

Also, honest opinions here, it is worth it? Yes I know it is free, but with DirecTV it is not like I need a motor mount dish and I certainly don't have to scan for channels.

Ice feel free to change the title of my post ... I just woke up wanting to rattle someones cage! :D

I explain it this way. If you want to turn your TV on and see channels right away, then FTA is probably not for you. You have to take the time to keep up to date with what is happening with the various satellites and you are always scanning for channels. Of course, you have all the info you need right here in one handy place. :)

most of the HD programming is feeds (mainly sports feeds. They're up for the game then **poof** gone). PBS HD is the main 24/7 HD channel on KU Band.

Reasons a FTA system is worth it (in my opinion)
-news feeds. When something big happens you can see many views of it. You don't get a snippet of it on your newscast. When the plane crashed last Sunday, we had numerous (I had at one time at least a dozen) feeds up there. Hurricanes are another great source of feeds. You can see them unscripted, uncensored and just some spectacular stuff. Last year with Katrina we had TONS of feeds
-sports feeds. I'm a college hockey junkie and lots of teams broadcast games that we can pick up. Some weekends you may have 1, some 6. College football just started and last night I had 5 games to choose from. This weekend will be college football craziness :) Everything from bigger teams down to Division III and even high school games.
-networks. Galaxy 10 has a few networks that can be picked up. Also, they have Retro TV Network (RTN). Its like what TV Land was years ago with Brady Bunch, Family Ties, MIssion Impossible, Kojak, A Team and others. Lots of people have a fixed dish at G10 just for that.
-ethnic & religious channels. Pretty self explanatory :)
-just the oddball channels out there. You never know what you'll find

Sports is my main concern ... more specifially ... HD Sports, mostly NFL and NHL but surfing is always fun too. Are there a nice selection of HD sports with FTA?

Sure there are a few sports feeds here or there in HD but there is no way you will be able to get any specific game. With FTA you take what you get and are happy :)

VERY happy :)

PSB said:
. With FTA you take what you get and are happy :)

VERY happy :)

so true. FTA really sin't for the "I want to see _____________ game" because it may not be there. If one of the big nets (ESPN, CBS, etc) carries it, then its probably not on FTA.

But there are some teams who have their games on FTA and publish that freely because of alumni. Especially the smaller college teams. :)

Alright, well I am going to go read up more on the birds and see what I can figure. If nothing else it would be cool hobby time.

Hi all,
I've held off getting an FTA receiver until they can decode HD. Are there any out there yet?

I've seen the pc-cards that do it, but I don't want to watch stuff on my laptop.

Seems odd that the pansat/coolsat people haven't got a high-end model that can do HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)