Looking to get internet at my vacation home

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
Ive been looking into getting some form of high-speed internet for my vacation home, but since its in the middle of nowhere (Mondovi, WI 54755) the local cable and phone company do not offer the internet. Ive looked into Hughsnet and other Satellite internet providers, but I dont want to spend $60 a month, when I spend 2 weekends a month at the home.

I was looking at pay as you go internet from verizon wireless.... or possibly from other cell phone companies. ATT doesnt get signal, but Sprint Verizon US Cell does.

I was wondering if anyone else had any input on the cell companies internet service or if anyone had any other ideas on how I can get internet. Thanks!

You're going to have a hard time staying below $60 per month unless you REALLY don't do much internet. Verizon Wireless 250 MB plan is $40 per month. It's easy to use up 250MB with modern web pages. The home page for SatelliteGuys is 450kB all by itself. If you're using the prepaid service, each day is $15, and each week is $30. So, if you're at your place two weekends a month, you're paying $60. You could get the one month prepaid service at $50, and that would give you 500 MB of data, so for $10 per month more than the $40 plan, you'll get double the data. I don't know how much hassle it is to sign up each month or each week, so you'll need to decide your tolerance for phone company signup fun.

Having said that, however, IF you have a good signal, the Verizon Wireless internet works very nicely. My company provides a little internet USB device when we're on call. The speed is great, and there is no latency problem (unlike satellite). If you have three to five bars on your voice phone, you're almost certainly OK for data. If you only have one or two bars, your data access may be spotty. If you can borrow a USB device from somebody, try installing it on a laptop, and testing at your place. You need a minimum signal strength of -80 dBm to get decent internet. (-70 dBm is stronger, -90 dBm is weaker) Run a speed test while you're connected, as sometimes that affects your strength measurements.

HTH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)