Looking to "move"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mcraig

Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Can someone help me with this. I am a die hard Red Sox fan in Northeastern, PA. Is it possible to get NESN in this area. If so how could I do this? I do not want to subscribe to the MLB EI package. I currently get my local HD channels OTA. so I would not be missing much if I were to "Move" Any and all help is appreciated. Also because Direct Tv is not carrying my Local HD broad cast I do not have mpeg4 yet. I am still using the 3lnb dish. I don't know if this matters or not. Thanks again.

Can someone help me with this. I am a die hard Red Sox fan in Northeastern, PA. Is it possible to get NESN in this area. If so how could I do this? I do not want to subscribe to the MLB EI package. I currently get my local HD channels OTA. so I would not be missing much if I were to "Move" Any and all help is appreciated. Also because Direct Tv is not carrying my Local HD broad cast I do not have mpeg4 yet. I am still using the 3lnb dish. I don't know if this matters or not. Thanks again.

You would have to call D* and tell them you want to change your SERVICE address to an address in Boston, but leave the billing address as your home address.

The Boston locals are on transponder 28 on the 101 satellite. What is your signal strength on that TP? I'm in NE PA too (actually more SE PA, but eastern PA nonetheless) and my signal on that TP fluctuates between high-30s and low-60s (which means you'd get a picture on the locals but even the slightest rain would probably knock it out). YMMV depending where you're located...if you're farther north and east, you might have a higher signal there.

Once you've changed your service address to a Boston address, your receiver will show the Boston locals (whether you get a picture or not depends on the signal described above), and all of the Boston teams will be available on NESN and/or FSN New England without blackouts. All other sports teams on all other RSNs will be blacked out on the sports pack.

One thing to consider - if you do this, you're obviously going to have to "move" back when/if you want to upgrade to the new MPEG4 dish. You might want to consider doing that upgrade first, but that's completely up to you.

Someone posted they can get the Philadelphia Spaceway spotbeam in Connecticut so you might even get the Boston one in PA. I get the Boston ones despite being in Central Connecticut. For picking an address, just make something up but pick a valid Boston zip code. The address doesnt even have to be real.

Last edited:
One thing to consider - if you do this, you're obviously going to have to "move" back when/if you want to upgrade to the new MPEG4 dish. You might want to consider doing that upgrade first, but that's completely up to you.

Thats the big issue with moving. You cant get any service calls or installs being at that address. So stabilize your hardware and dish before you move. I would get the AT9 slimline installed, and move the next month.

I know that I'm late to the thread...but do you actually have to "move" all the way to Boston?

"Moving" to 06401, for example, gets you Hartford locals, Boston and New York sports regionals, and CBS/NBC/Fox out of New York.

Hartford locals are on a more southerly spot than Boston locals, increasing the odds for reception in PA, I assume...and the 3 New York SV's are on CONUS beams to begin with.

I'm in the same boat. I literally live 2 to 3 miles from the CT line (I'm in Mass.). With that small distance I'd be able to get YES and NESN as part of my basic service as well as locals in HD instead of paying for MLB EI for YES and no locals in HD. I'm on the fence about "moving" but have given it serious thought. Funny there is a Uconn fan posting in this thread because I'm a grad and huge Uconn fan and would get all those channels too instead of having to pay for ESPN Fullcourt. I get 3 CT stations OTA anyway. No I'm not justifying "moving" because I know if they catch it then I'll lose my service. If I do do it then I'll upgrade my dish to the 5 LNB and then "move" to Suffield or Enfield. It is kind of ridiculous that 2 miles down the road they get more stuff than I do. Should I do it?!

I would :)

2 miles to get more? When Dish could offer distants my cabin address gave me locals & all the distants but CBS. 1/2 mile down the road could get all 4 nets

quote:
"You would have to call D* and tell them you want to change your SERVICE address to an address in Boston, but leave the billing address as your home address. "

I would also love to do this...is this as easy as this ? Does Directv give you some kind of a problem? Does this send up some kind of redflag ?

Just call and give address change...what about you phone plugged in for Sunday ticket etc?

Your phone number would also have to change also correct?

Please help...

I know that I'm late to the thread...but do you actually have to "move" all the way to Boston?

"Moving" to 06401, for example, gets you Hartford locals, Boston and New York sports regionals, and CBS/NBC/Fox out of New York.

Hartford locals are on a more southerly spot than Boston locals, increasing the odds for reception in PA, I assume...and the 3 New York SV's are on CONUS beams to begin with.

I would'nt move to 06401.. Ansonia is a hillbillie town.

I would also love to do this...is this as easy as this ? Does Directv give you some kind of a problem? Does this send up some kind of redflag ?
nope. Think about it. There are lots of people who have their billing different than the physical. We have a cabin and the phone, satellite, propane and electric bills are sent to a mailing address 150 miles from the location :)

Just call and give address change...what about you phone plugged in for Sunday ticket etc?
leave the number as is

Your phone number would also have to change also correct?

why would it? JUst leave the phone number as is.

I have a similar situation and want to make sure I don't screw things up. I live in Western PA but have a service address in NY so that I can get the networks. I currently have MPEG 2 equipment but am thinking of buying on Ebay Mpeg 4 H20 and new slimline dish for self install. Then I would just call in to activate new equipment. I called Directv last week and they offered me a H20 and dish for free but wanted to install it. Is it safer doing it the way I am by buying the equipment with a moved service address or is there a way to get them to ship the equipment to my billing address and let me self install. Iceberg, what do you advise...

I'm thinking you just have them install it. Then wait a couple weeks and tell them you moved, give the address and that you re installed your self. That is what I'm going to do and hopefully it'll be all set by late April.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)