12 more HD channels by the end of March?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Spize

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Just got off the phone, ordering another HR20, and was told by the end of the month they should have the following channels in HD...

A&E
Bravo
Cartoon Network
CNN
Food Network
FX
TBS
History
Weather Channel
USA
HGTV
INtv
National Geographic
NFL Network
Sci-Fi
Speed

That is awesome!

Do HD versions of all those even exist yet?

Just got off the phone, ordering another HR20, and was told by the end of the month they should have the following channels in HD...

A&E
Bravo
Cartoon Network
CNN
Food Network
FX
TBS
History
Weather Channel
USA
HGTV
INtv
National Geographic
NFL Network
Sci-Fi
Speed

That is awesome!

Well - your heading says 12 more channels and then you listed 16. More importantly, at least for some of the names you listed it just can't be accurate - not because of DirecTv, but simply that some of those channels DON'T EXIST in HD yet to be put on by ANYBODY.

That is the list of channels that DirecTV will have up in the *FALL* after the first sat goes up this spring/summer.

As always, never, ever believe everything a CSR tells you.

That is the list of channels that DirecTV will have up in the *FALL* after the first sat goes up this spring/summer.

As always, never, ever believe everything a CSR tells you.

But based on what has transpired in the past 48 hours, don't be suprised if D* pulls a couple of more rabbits out of their hat.

Probably what the CSR was referring to is that DirecTV will have a contract for these channels. Some of those channels like Cartoon Network and TBS aren't launching until late summer/early fall, IIRC.

But based on what has transpired in the past 48 hours, don't be suprised if D* pulls a couple of more rabbits out of their hat.

What has really transpried, just a channel showing up in the guide, that's it. This CSR says 12 more in March, someone else posts that they talked to a CSR that said it was a mistake and the channel will be pulled from the guide.

If I had to bet, I'd go with it's a mistake, the same amount of bandwidth that D* had last month is the same amount that they have now. The only think I can think of is that D* is using DirecTV 9S, maybe cranking up the power on a few transponders so the can reduce the amount of FEC to get more channels out of that bird and room for another HD channel. Or they're going to cut back on the amount of PPV channels freeing up the space. Maybe they thought they had to do something to stop HD customers from leaving before D10 gets lit up. Guess we're just all going to have to wait and see what actually will happen.

Posted by Earl in http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=855662#post855662

"Okay... Here is what I have found out.
(And this is subject to change)

National Geographic HighDefinition Channel...
MPEG-2 Channel 77
Part Time

Because of the current bandwith limitations, the NGHC will not be available 24/7.

Right now... early indications are that it will only be available in the early hours of the day... (this could change).

So right now... consider NGHC a DVR "friendly" channel, and not so much Live Viewing."

What has really transpried, just a channel showing up in the guide, that's it. This CSR says 12 more in March, someone else posts that they talked to a CSR that said it was a mistake and the channel will be pulled from the guide.

If I had to bet, I'd go with it's a mistake, the same amount of bandwidth that D* had last month is the same amount that they have now. The only think I can think of is that D* is using DirecTV 9S, maybe cranking up the power on a few transponders so the can reduce the amount of FEC to get more channels out of that bird and room for another HD channel. Or they're going to cut back on the amount of PPV channels freeing up the space. Maybe they thought they had to do something to stop HD customers from leaving before D10 gets lit up. Guess we're just all going to have to wait and see what actually will happen.

Actually the number of HD customers is on the rise at DirecTV, I think its DISH running scared now - after all didn't THEY start GIVING away their HD-DVR to new subs?

Actually the number of HD customers is on the rise at DirecTV, I think its DISH running scared now - after all didn't THEY start GIVING away their HD-DVR to new subs?

The question is are the number of E* HD subs growing faster then the D* subs? Also just looking around here there are a number of D* subs that have said they have or are converting to E* for the HD content or are fed up with the HR20.

The problem is thatt they would need to pull rabbits out os SOMEONE ELSE"S hat. That is unlikely. Sorry but my BS alarm is sounding on this one. first the ridiculous calim of chnnles that don't exist being added and then the defense that D* can perform magic and mysterious reference to the last 48 hours.

The question is are the number of E* HD subs growing faster then the D* subs? Also just looking around here there are a number of D* subs that have said they have or are converting to E* for the HD content or are fed up with the HR20.
When I first bought my HDTV I was hungry for any HD that I could get my hands on. When I subbed to VOOM everything was nice and now that I sub to Directv I don't even pay for the HD ch's anymore. Directv has taken forever to get things going. I can't see how they would have increased their HD sub numbers any faster than Dish has. Dish Net has more HD ch's and ...I'm sorry, but the picture looks a bit cleaner and crisp on Dish when compared. I have lost interest in Directv's promisses and I think if you ask around, alot of people have. The reason why HD subs have grown is simply because more people are getting HDTV's in their homes.
As far as adding HD Ch's that are available to everyone....Directv has been a big disappointment. I don't believe any of it until the ch's are actually available.

I they can't make NG HD 24/7 how can they add anything else by the end of March/ this thread just does not make sense.

You guys are crazy. Keep in mind the original poster and his past posts.
Good god, my grandma could go into the E* forum and state that her uncles brothers mailman (an E* csr) told her that E* was launching six sats and putting up 486 new HD channels by tomorrow at noon and you guys would actually argue and discuss it.

Fear not, faithful subscribers. The FCC has mandated that all over the air broadcasts must be made in HD by January 1st, 2008 in an effort for everybody to use less bandwidth. I've noticed that a lot of the programs and commercials that you see on standard 4:3 ratio screens are indeed in widescreen (16:9) format. The industry is moving quickly, at least as quickly as they can get the HD equipment installed. It's simple supply and demand. OTA broadcasters will need HD programming and commercials. SD programming and commercials will become less available, forcing other broadcasters to go to HD formats to support the products they receive to broadcast. Competition also dictates that they will need to broadcast in HD or cease to exist. The average person spends upwards of $75 per month for digital cable or Satellite. If the consumer can get better programming for free, why would they spend the money? I'm sure that by this time next year the broadcast industry will look far different than it does today. Be patient my children. Our time will come!!! ;-)

Fear not, faithful subscribers. The FCC has mandated that all over the air broadcasts must be made in HD by January 1st, 2008 in an effort for everybody to use less bandwidth. I've noticed that a lot of the programs and commercials that you see on standard 4:3 ratio screens are indeed in widescreen (16:9) format. The industry is moving quickly, at least as quickly as they can get the HD equipment installed. It's simple supply and demand. OTA broadcasters will need HD programming and commercials. SD programming and commercials will become less available, forcing other broadcasters to go to HD formats to support the products they receive to broadcast. Competition also dictates that they will need to broadcast in HD or cease to exist. The average person spends upwards of $75 per month for digital cable or Satellite. If the consumer can get better programming for free, why would they spend the money? I'm sure that by this time next year the broadcast industry will look far different than it does today. Be patient my children. Our time will come!!! ;-)

Nope there is no such mandate for HD..The mandate is for Digital Broadcasting. Digital is not necesssarily HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)