12 more HD channels by the end of March?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Seeing as how I am really skeptical, how much real capacity does D* for HD even with D10 going up? According to Lyngsat SW1 has 69 channels on it 43 of those are HD locals, SW2 has 49 channels on it all of them HD locals. We all know there isn't much room right now for more HD so, when D10 goes up not counting the additional HD locals D* will put up how much room will their be for national HD?

Both SW sats have a lot of room left for channels, but both are not all that efficient at it being basically reconfigured broadband sats. And both SW's are spotbeam only. But they are taking a more cautious approach. They have already launched more HD locals then they said they were before D10 and 11 go up. D10 and D11 are highly efficient CONUS birds with capacity for 150 HD channels between them. So if all that goes up this year is D10 (due to SeaLaunch delay on the other) they will still easily have the capacity for 50-75 national HD channels. Looks like about 30 or so will be ready by fall (at least that has been announced). If there are more then they will be there.

We also must take into account that some transponders on each bird or orbital location are likely held back in reserve for emergency's sake.

Both SW sats have a lot of room left for channels, but both are not all that efficient at it being basically reconfigured broadband sats. And both SW's are spotbeam only. But they are taking a more cautious approach. They have already launched more HD locals then they said they were before D10 and 11 go up. D10 and D11 are highly efficient CONUS birds with capacity for 150 HD channels between them. So if all that goes up this year is D10 (due to SeaLaunch delay on the other) they will still easily have the capacity for 50-75 national HD channels. Looks like about 30 or so will be ready by fall (at least that has been announced). If there are more then they will be there.

Don't forget D9s is already up there now too.It was supposed to be a spare but if
they get in a pinch who knows?.;)

If it ain't DIGITAL, it ain't HD !!!!

Jimbo

Generally, I would agree with that and in today's market it is correct. But Japan was testing an analog HD OTA system in the 70s. It was impractical and had too many limitations, but the resolution exceeded what we call HD today. And it was analog. (But that's just the anal retentive part of me coming out, no offense intended.)

Other issues:

And actually, isn't the analog shutoff date something like 17 Feb 2009. Coincidentally, the day after Super Bowl XLIII. (Gotta squeeze out that last bit of big programming)

Last edited:
Just got off the phone, ordering another HR20, and was told by the end of the month they should have the following channels in HD...

A&E
Bravo
Cartoon Network
CNN
Food Network
FX
TBS
History
Weather Channel
USA
HGTV
INtv
National Geographic
NFL Network
Sci-Fi
Speed

That is awesome!

Are they there?

Don't hold your breath waiting for it, unless you know of someplace that D* can pull a satellite out of the hat, in the next two days.

Trust me I am not holding my breath. The OP was the one confident of it but maybe they can launcha satellite and convince the channels on the lsit to go HD before the month ends.

Shouldn't there just be one master pinned warning to new D* subscribers which says "Believe no statement or rumor about any improvement in D* service, equipment or HD programming until you actually see it yourself in your own home."??????

My general belief about most hopeful D* rumors is that whatever is claimed to be happening will happen either not at all, or will happen really late, or will happen even later with lots of technical bugs, onerous service commitments and utterly misinformed CSRs.

One thing for sure, relying on D* CSR statements and French rocket launchers sure is not the way to go, LOL.

If D* promises were apples, we'd all be overwhelmed with rotting fruit. (D has announced the launch of 150 more apples, all in HD!)

;) Obviously they are gonna use an existing HD and timeshare the "new HD channels in 2 hour increments:p ;)

"(D has announced the launch of 150 more apples, all in HD!)"

Actually all they said was that they were launching two additional satellites that will ALLOW up to 150 new "apples". Selective hearing is always fun! ...... and likewise launch facility failures and delays are not their fault either. DUH! Other that the selective hearing and twist of facts on those points, they are right on with their plans, but why let facts get in the way of grinding axes?

What time are they going to go live? lol

i am going to go out on a limb here,
the great and amazing kreskin says there will NOT be anymore HD on D by the end of march. lol
I WANT MORE HDTV but all in all i am looking forward to the future with D
i just hope its the not to distant future lol

I hope we all had fun. Actually I neer paid attention to the thread. It was just a silly rumor posted by someone that said a CSR said. But watch, the D* bashers will say it was another D* broken promise. Sad but I guarantee someone does.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone, ordering another HR20, and was told by the end of the month they should have the following channels in HD...

A&E
Bravo
Cartoon Network
CNN
Food Network
FX
TBS
History
Weather Channel
USA
HGTV
INtv
National Geographic
NFL Network
Sci-Fi
Speed

That is awesome!

Ummmm I guess not! LOL Unless they all are added tonight

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)