Looking to record digital TV cheaply without PC

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
I am looking to record digital Over the air TV cheaply.

I don't mind having to do it the basic way with record X channel at X time for X period of time.

I have digital OTA converter Box and VHS BUT want something with the recorder and turner in one unit.
Don't mind recording onto DVD's.

I just don't want something with monthly bill.

Thanks

How cheap? My solution isn't one piece but works for me. I have 3 Sony SVR-2000 series 1 TiVos. These TiVos allow manual recording without a subscription fee. I have 2 DISH DTV PAL converters and one 811 receiver connected to the TiVos. The TiVo has an IR emitter and a code for DISH so it will change channels for OTA recording on the DTV PALs and on the 811 it can record DISH SD programming along with OTA. With careful eBay shopping each pairing is $50-100, Minimum recording time 30 hours max to 120 hours with larger HD installed choice of 4 recording qualities on TiVo.

Problems:
SD only no HD on series one TiVo
Cannot automatically tune sub channels.
No description of programs no TiVo subscription fee.

OK I am thinking of using a tuner that would turn it self on and off at give times and change to a given channel.
I would program the VCR to turn on and off and record a given RCA input.

Programing would not change too much per month the time to do it would not be too bad.

What about this box?
DTVPAL ATSC Digital Converter Box.

The other idea is to look into a FTA sat tuner with USB output.

Thanks

How cheap? My solution isn't one piece but works for me. I have 3 Sony SVR-2000 series 1 TiVos. These TiVos allow manual recording without a subscription fee. I have 2 DISH DTV PAL converters and one 811 receiver connected to the TiVos. The TiVo has an IR emitter and a code for DISH so it will change channels for OTA recording on the DTV PALs and on the 811 it can record DISH SD programming along with OTA. With careful eBay shopping each pairing is $50-100, Minimum recording time 30 hours max to 120 hours with larger HD installed choice of 4 recording qualities on TiVo.

Problems:
SD only no HD on series one TiVo
Cannot automatically tune sub channels.
No description of programs no TiVo subscription fee.

The DTV Pal DVR was a great idea, until Dish/Echostar/whoever dropped the ball. The warranty sucks, the mortality rate is high, and they've already announced that they're not going to develop the family further.

There's always the TiVo HD, which works fine with over-the-air antennas, but requires either a phone line or broadband, even if it has a lifetime subscription.

I have yet another option.
As a pack rat and buyer of much stuff I have a Dish HD 811 receiver sitting around.
I looked at the manual it appears it can be setup to turn on and work with a VCR.

Main downfall is I need to have a set dish at 110 or 119 connected at all times to it.
Anyway around not having a dish connected to it at all times?

I also think I should stop SW downloads to it?

Keep ya posted.

Thanks

ken
you do need a cable fro 110 or 119 to make the 811 work. To get guide info, you need to have it match where Dish has put the SD locals. For me in Minneapolis my local guide info is on 110. So I ran a cable from 110 to the 811 ans then I got **most** of my guide info.

Basically for the 811 to get guide info Dish has to carry those locals. SW downloads are irrelevant as DIsh nuked all the channels. You'll get either a black screen or a "smartcard update" on the screen but you can still get to the locals

I use a DTV Pal and it works fine for OTA and I get guide info for all my channels

I see why people are happy with 5 gen tuners like the one I have in the Best Buy OTA converter box.

I hooked up the 811 and it so-so. It has not upgraded and P424 yet but it's tuner working as well as the others I have.

Thanks for all the info. Keep ya posted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)