Looking to switch from the other Satellite guys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Buzz15

Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Western New York
Just a few question from someone looking to switch to Direct.

I currently have an Eastern Arc setup with D network. I'd like to use my existing connection on the southwestern corner of the house. I'm in western NY (14228). What satellite(s) do I need to point to for an HD directv setup?

Also, does any hardware replacement during your 24-month commitment automatically reset your commitment to 24 months? Even with the hardware service plan?

If so, does it make sense to get an extra receiver or DVR upfront as a spare?

Does the HR24 have PIP capability?

How do I get over the air HD on Direct? Can I get an add-on module? Can I record over the air HD to DVR?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to SateliteGuys!

All Direct sats are in the vicinity of the western arc that Dish uses. I would think that you could see them from the SW corner of the house assuming no trees to the southwest.

And hardware replacement is not supposed to restart the 24-month commitment, but it does happen now and then. A phone call generally will fix that.

It doesn't make sense as a spare since you have to have them activated within a certain time window and then pay lease fees on it. That said, with the whole home DVR, you might find an extra HDDVR comes in real handy at times. I know I certainly do.

No PIP on any D* equipment.

You can get OTA with the optional AM21 box. And you can record OTA if you have it, but all D* HDDVRs record only 2 events at once. So if you are thinking about using the OTA box like you use the OTA on your E* equipment, it doesn't work that way. Only 2 at a time. Also, D* OTA does not scan for channels, it has a database of channels by DMA/Zip Code and you get the channels they have in the database. Not all the sub channels are there in my experience.

You nailed all of the questions Lloyd! The only thing I would add is regarding the equipment replacement issue. Buzz15, if you are replacing defective equipment, there is no commitment extension. If you upgrade in any way, that will trigger a new commitment. That includes sd to hd, or receiver to dvr.

Thanks for the info guys

Rather than drop $6 on the protection plan, I figured I'd just get an extra receiver instead. Then, instead of paying to replace a box, I'd just send the dead one back.

Thanks for the info guys

Rather than drop $6 on the protection plan, I figured I'd just get an extra receiver instead. Then, instead of paying to replace a box, I'd just send the dead one back.

I don't have the protection plan, so if I have a receiver go out, I'll have to pay shipping and nothing more. But realistically, how often does a receiver go out and how many times would you need a tech to do a truck roll? I think not much at all, hence no protection plan for me.

I have been with DirecTV since the mid-90's and not counting upgrades after they stopped allowing DIY and the SlimLine upgrade; I have only needed to replace one receiver and never had a truck roll.

Thanks for the info guys

At the most, replacing a defective box would be $20, for the shipping. If you ask nice, they will sometimes waive the fee.

Been with the other guys for 15 years. Haven't paid to replace or upgrade in quite some time. Never had a service contract from them either.
What is the service contract with Direct supposed to buy you?

basically free fixes including truck rolls if needed. Would include covering re-pointing and such too, and I think acts of god also. Should be a link to the agreement which tells you all on Directv.com

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)