Looks like directv sent out an Firmware update for the H20 tonight

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hdtvtechno

SatelliteGuys Pro
While i was up, lazy enough to not go to bed for the night, while watching tv, at about 5:00am et just now a message poped up on the screen saying it will change the channel at 5:00am Et and to press ok
but i didnt press anything, but it then rebooted automatically, and started to download an new firmware update

The new version # is 0F03

Guess what it took long long time to download that thing, about 20 mins :rolleyes:
it stoped at 97% and stayed there for 5-10 mins, i thought it was dead, but i continued waiting, but it finally finished the download and rebooted fine :)

hdtvtechno said:
While i was up, lazy enough to not go to bed for the night, while watching tv, at about 5:00am et just now a message poped up on the screen saying it will change the channel at 5:00am Et and to press ok
but i didnt press anything, but it then rebooted automatically, and started to download an new firmware update
The new version # is 0F03
Guess what it took long long time to download that thing, about 20 mins :rolleyes:
it stoped at 97% and stayed there for 5-10 mins, i thought it was dead, but i continued waiting, but it finally finished the download and rebooted fine :)

The exact thing happened to my H20, same Bat time, same Bat channel!

Chip

Upgraded to newest bugs...

Got the firmware update this morning. Now my receiver reboots every time I try to search on "Hornets" and "Sports - Basketball" in the Find by Category.

Hopefully, it will work after it eventually finishes downloading the guide.:confused:

Got my firmware update! Both H20's are working flawless. No more Audio drops either wait! I spoke too soon!

Last edited:
So does anyone know for sure what the update did, and did it fix any problems, or just do things that D* was interested in, witch might not have anything to do with anything we know about.

Jimbo

SD Picture Quality ???

Is it just me or has the PQ on SD channels been really soft and fuzzy ever since the F03 firmware update? Before the update I was very happy with the quality on channels like CNN, TBS, MSNBC but now it is noticeably softer. I can't tell if it is because of the update or just one of those periods when the PQ always did deteriorate even before.:(

On thing I noticed on the 0F03 update. On the old version if you did a direct tune to a local channel you got the SD channel, channel up took you to the HD MPEG4 channel then the HD ATSC channel. Looks like they flipped the order so you get the HD MPEG4, then SD then ATSC.

rad said:
On thing I noticed on the 0F03 update. On the old version if you did a direct tune to a local channel you got the SD channel, channel up took you to the HD MPEG4 channel then the HD ATSC channel. Looks like they flipped the order so you get the HD MPEG4, then SD then ATSC.

Yeah only if they could of done a better job, of reporgramming it, so that it won't tune to the directv HD and SD channel alltogether, so it goes straight to the Local OTA HD

hdtvtechno said:
Yeah only if they could of done a better job, of reporgramming it, so that it won't tune to the directv HD and SD channel alltogether, so it goes straight to the Local OTA HD

You could always just edit your favorite channels list so that you skip over those channels. I need to test my receiver later tonight to see if those bugs with the favorite channels list and the cropping in 480i/p still exist.

I'm glad they made the channel order switch. :) I don't get OTA HDs and my ReplayTV would get the SD channel when changing using the IR blaster. Now I get the HD.

hdtvtechno said:
Theres a special hack code you can enter in, right when you boot up the H20
right when the Welcome screen comes up
I forgot the code, im sure someone else will post it

Is, 'entering 02468 when it says "Hello, your directv reciever is starting up"' what you are thinking about?

If so, here is the complete set of instructions:

Open the front door where your card goes, there is a red button, get your remote in your hand, and press the red button, then when the tv screen says "Hello, your directv reciever is starting up", press 02468 on your remote (do not hit enter).

You may have to try it a few times to get it, when you get it it will say "Almost there" then, something like "A software update was found, downloading"

If there is no download ready, it won't say anything special.
Keep in mind, not all areas of the country gets the updates at the same time (as in my case), so forcing does not mean you can get it if it's not ready for your area.

Last edited:
dervari, somewhere on this forum, someone had a similar problem with a D* units' favorite lists doing what you describe (I don't remember which model), but they worked around it by creating a new list, editing that new one, then using that as the default.

I don't know if this is helpful or applicable to the H20, but it's something that you can try if possible.

Editing the favorites list and then the receiver reboots while editing is indeed a H20 problem. I have not had the opportunity to test if the new firmware fixed this. I'll try in an hour or so. You can get around the bug if you enter in a high channel number while on the favorites editing screen and then scroll through the channels from that point. It would crash on me when I was scrolling down the channel list from channel 2; I would get down about 2 pages worth of channels and then the box would just suddenly reboot if I went any further. It does the same thing with the blocked channels list, as I'm sure they use the same code to scroll through the channel listing.

Also I definitely still notice that with 480i/p programming the box outputs incorrect picture sizes when you cycle through the different formatting options, ie. pillar box, crop, zoom. On my H20, watching a SD channel in pillarbox mode looks like a pillarbox within another pillarbox (the image is squished horizontally). I haven't seen anyone else post with this same issue; anyone else noticing this? It's really no big deal since I usually leave it on 1080i crop mode anyways.

Even with the new firmware, the favorites bug remains.

Nevermind about the stuff I was talking about with the formatting problems; stupid me forgot to check all my default format settings for 4:3 content on my tv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts