Looks like I fixed my Voom woes.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

orl2222

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Ok, it looks like i might have fixed my earlier problems with my STB.
I found a way to reset my STB to factory settings, on the Yahoo Voom group. My signal is now a steady 97, no pixization, no droupouts, no more signal fluctuations from 0-99. My STB did come with the latest update according to factory defualts. After resetting to factory defualts, I hard booted the system, it took about a hour to redownload all my info and guide. Its been problem free for 3 hourss, as compared to going crazy after 5 mins.

What problems were you having? When did you get your receiver? I wonder because we are staring to get away from Factory Resets since it does more bad than good. In your situation it was quite different.

Not sure where to put this

I have searched all over this site, but there is so much information that I can not find the thread to my problem. My espnhd, hbow, espnnews, and cspan are all in the wrong places ie flip flopped. Can someone provide me a link to a thread on how to fix this. I've read that it is a polarity problem, but how do I fix it. This is the third receiver that they have installed for various reasons, and they still have not gotten it right. Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

Sean, I was getting bad pixization, lockups, signal strength meter swinging from 0-99. I could reboot the STB, it would work for 5 mins. then the problems started all over again. To be honest, I still want them to come out again. My house does not have a steep roof by any means, however the installer for installs.inc mounted the dish below the crest of the roof. I do beleive my STB probably does have a major problem. I really so want to keep Voom, so I'll let them come out for one more try. I have been a D* customer for years, and I do have their HD package, so I was hoping to get more with VOOM. My main gripe is that the install was rushed, nor checked properly. If this doesnt work, i guess I'll have to disconnect VOOM.

just4fun said:
I have searched all over this site, but there is so much information that I can not find the thread to my problem. My espnhd, hbow, espnnews, and cspan are all in the wrong places ie flip flopped. Can someone provide me a link to a thread on how to fix this. I've read that it is a polarity problem, but how do I fix it. This is the third receiver that they have installed for various reasons, and they still have not gotten it right. Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

just4fun,

welcome. There are various solutions that people have gotten. Check this thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=10172

Let's keep the conversation there.

orl2222 said:
Sean, I was getting bad pixization, lockups, signal strength meter swinging from 0-99. I could reboot the STB, it would work for 5 mins. then the problems started all over again. To be honest, I still want them to come out again. My house does not have a steep roof by any means, however the installer for installs.inc mounted the dish below the crest of the roof. I do beleive my STB probably does have a major problem. I really so want to keep Voom, so I'll let them come out for one more try. I have been a D* customer for years, and I do have their HD package, so I was hoping to get more with VOOM. My main gripe is that the install was rushed, nor checked properly. If this doesnt work, i guess I'll have to disconnect VOOM.

I would ask for another receiver. This maybe a temporary fix and the stb may go back to the same problem. Regarding the other problems, I would call VOOM and ask that the installation be done properly. Send an email to "Wilt Hildenbrand" <wilth@optonline.net> if you do not get any satisfaction from the Voom csrs or installs inc.

Well, looks like im getting closer! I swapped out the diplexer(winegard 3020) with the one from one of my D* boxes. I do have a steady 96 reading. STB has been on for 2 hrs, no dropouts or freezing. I got a funny feeling that the diplexer was causing a short back to the STB. I've got a satillite signal power of 77/1516. I guess I'm stubborn! I juste hate when something doesn't work right.Thanks to all on this board, for all the tips to help troubleshoot the system. I'm gonna give it a full day, and see if this finally fixes the problems. I'll report back tomorrow if I'm still up and running.
Sean, you are a gentleman and a scholar! thanks for your suggestions.

Lots of people here are getting signal strength in the 90s. My installer got a signal in the 90s at the dish and said we'd get the mid-50s at the receiver, and that that's as good as a 98 signal on a Dish or DirecTV.

Now, I'm in AZ so maybe that's why I get it in the mid-50s. Have you guys heard of a loss of signal from the dish to the receiver. I could understand a few point but not over 40 points of signal loss. I'm having the problem of the video blacking out for 1-2 seconds on all channels but audio keeps working. Maybe this is due to the lower signal strength.

azfrog--something ain't right. No way should you be getting 40 points less from dish to STB. There has to be something wrong in between the dish and the output from your STB. Check for bad diplexer, and check for loose connection coming out of the STB. Or even something loose on your component or DVI connection at the TV. You could even have a bad STB. If none of your checking improves the numbers, I'd get a technician out real soon. 1-800-GET-VOOM.

azfrog said:
Now, I'm in AZ so maybe that's why I get it in the mid-50s. Have you guys heard of a loss of signal from the dish to the receiver.
Are you still on version 5.08? Sounds like it. You will get 90+ after you upgrade to 5.68.

I'm on 5.68 now, but just got upgraded last night and haven't checked since then. I'll go check now.

The tech. said it like it was that way for every install he's done. Maybe all of his recievers have had the old software like mine and he doesn't know any better.

Most of the STBs come with 5.08. And 5.08 has a different signal quality/strength scale. Only recently VOOM started shipping boxes with 5.68. Your installer may not be aware of that, unless he reads this forum ;)

You should be ok now! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts