Looks Like Lin is back!

Hey...when did Time Warner give out free Starz??? They won't give us the NFL Network or HD Net, but were giving out free Premium Channels, when we don't even get the free previews of Starz? The certainly didn't do that in New York.

If I am not mistaken, I believe when TWC pulled/lost WIVB/WNLO in Buffalo, they gave people HBO Family until the dispute was over.

Personally, all I watch on the Buffalo LIN stations is the news and I can get that content elsewhere. Plus, I kept the $12 TWC cable package (which includes local HD channels with the right TV tuning) so I can just flip over to that if I really want to see something on those stations.

I would not be surprised if the channels are back on before this weekend.

I am hearing they are talking and some good progress has been made.

Local paper had another article on this and the station manager at WDTN said that only 9% of Dayton viewers are affected by this. They're suggesting Dish only has 9% penetration here ? I think they're trying to belittle Dish with that comment....

Odds are, station managers of LIN stations are making similar comments all over the country.

If I am not mistaken, I believe when TWC pulled/lost WIVB/WNLO in Buffalo, they gave people HBO Family until the dispute was over.

Personally, all I watch on the Buffalo LIN stations is the news and I can get that content elsewhere. Plus, I kept the $12 TWC cable package (which includes local HD channels with the right TV tuning) so I can just flip over to that if I really want to see something on those stations.

HBO makes more sense than Starz since TWC owns HBO. You sorta have to keep that basic package inorder to get a slight discount on Roadrunner. Do you get the Sabres Games in HD, on the Hidden QAM Digitial Channels with that basic package?

Plus, I kept the $12 TWC cable package (which includes local HD channels with the right TV tuning) so I can just flip over to that if I really want to see something on those stations.

I've done the same thing here in the Finger Lakes area. Most people don't know that all cable companies are required to carry this super basic package. In the area I live, I get both the Syracuse and Rochester locals in their normal cable positions plus I get the Elmira locals in the QAM positions.

I've done the same thing here in the Finger Lakes area. Most people don't know that all cable companies are required to carry this super basic package. In the area I live, I get both the Syracuse and Rochester locals in their normal cable positions plus I get the Elmira locals in the QAM positions.

What are they charging you there for that a month?

This isn't DISH's fault, it's LIN's fault...
Oh really. Could you specify EXACTLY how you know which corporation is at "fault" in this dispute? My guess is that you are not actually privy to these specific negotiations and are simply expressing an "opinion".

FWIW I really don't care which corp. is at "fault". The net result is the same. I lose while they squabble. And as I pointed out earlier, for all the talk of Charlie playing "hard ball", the cost to the subscriber for Dish packages and DirecTV packages are remarkably comparable over time. In my opinion, Charlie's playing "hard ball" has a lot more to do with his preferred style of doing business than any real concern for Dish subscriber's subscription costs.

Talon Dancer

Both are to blame, I would agree with that.

However its not Charlie playing hardball anymore, over the past year companies like DIRECTV, Time Warner and other multichannel providers have started playing Charlie style hardball with the programmers.

I personally still think the broadcasters should be paying the satellite and cable companies for helping them reach more viewers which in turn equals better ratings which in turn = more ad revenue.

If the satellite and cable companies dropped all local channels from their lineups most local stations would go under.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't DISH's fault, it's LIN's fault. LIN did the same thing with KXAN with Time Warner. Time Warner's response was awesome: They pulled the channel and replaced it with Starz, giving customers a free premium channel. KXAN remained off Time Warner for a month and KXAN only came back to the bargaining table the night before the start of November sweeps because they didn't want to lose advertising dollars. I hope Charlie plays hardball with them just like Time Warner did.

You did notice that they waited until sweeps was over too on this one?

I have not carefully read all posts on all 29 pages, so forgive me if these points have been made before...

I think Dish should hold their ground and not pay the 175% increase!

It seems to me that the local stations would want Dish to carry their programming. It is good for advertising dollars because more people see the ads so they can charge more (this point was made in the previous post). I don't see how the station could have additional costs because of Dish. I think it is just greedy local stations.

The local stations can only recoup OTA broadcast costs by charging more to advertisers. Is this their method to gouge Dish to recoup the digital change over costs?

I can see the local station's point about Dish and the cable companies reselling the broadcast. Does Dish pay the same per viewer as the cable companies? If Dish pays less, than yes, maybe Dish should pay more.

We lost Fort Wayne channel 15 WANE-TV (CBS). The only affects me in that I cannot set the DVR to record Survivor, the Amazing Race, or Undercover Boss. I can still watch them OTA - and in HD - something I don't get from Dish. What I really miss is not seeing what is on via the guide.

One way to give your manual timers a "name" is to create a group for each timer. Associate the timer with the group and then all the recordings for that timer will display together as they are recorded.

May the fleas of a thousand camels descend on all the money grubbers involved in this dispute no matter what company they work for!

I should email Mark Higgins and tell him to get his engineering group together. Why is WTNH audio always out of sync in HD? And whats in that hidden 8-2 that comes up on my TV saying SCRAMBLED?

Recycled my last bill but I paid $62.58 for RR plus the super basic cable.

I believe that is what it should be here in WNY, except I own my cable modem so I would get a $3.00 discount. Are you able to get to Buffalo Sabres HD Feed in QAM from their Shared Digitial Video. I know it available to regular analog subscribers, but you have to search for it each game (rescan the digitial channels) because the channel keeps moving.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I would not be surprised if the channels are back on before this weekend.

I am hearing they are talking and some good progress has been made.

Bad news. Unless, of course, Charlie has them over a barrel. An example needs to be made every now and then.

I believe that is what it should be here in WNY, except I own my cable modem so I would get a $3.00 discount. Are you able to get to Buffalo Sabres HD Feed in QAM from their Shared Digitial Video. I know it available to regular analog subscribers, but you have to search for it each game (rescan the digitial channels) because the channel keeps moving.

Never knew that. I may try that this evening. I've been using a p2p site to see most of the games over the internet. Quality varies, but at lest I'm able to see them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)