Looks Like Lin is back!

why would that be? Unless your toilet is in the outhouse, it costs too much to bring electricity to your property, and you have to go to the nearby stream or river for water, I don't see why losing a network programming channel or two would cause you to ditch DISH for another provider. Unlike the egotistic idiots at LIN would like you to believe, I bet most people buy cable or satellite packages primarily for the national channels, not because they value their locals.

Instead of recording local network programming on my DVR in DISHcr**tacular quality, I record my FOX and CBS (the ones affected by LIN blackout) on my PC with an offair antenna/tuner for later viewing -- or go "revisit" the episode of most programs by going to fox or cbs websites.

Some may be referring to "moving" others moving carriers. If the mover carriers that just means they condone LIN's greed. This came this morn via Morning Bridge:
LIN pulled its 27 channels in 17 markets off DISH at midnight ... this morning a few minutes later, DISH's Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming, issued this statement:

"It's unfortunate that LIN Media, a corporate media conglomerate, pulled its channels down at midnight, holding viewers in 17 markets across the nation hostage while attempting to coerce DISH Network to submit to outrageous demands. Even more disappointing is the fact that LIN Media didn't even make an effort to keep negotiating during the final hours and failed to respond despite our numerous attempts to reach them. LIN Media also refused to grant the contract extension DISH Network proposed. DISH Network offered LIN Media a fee increase comparable to market rates already agreed to with more than 1,000 other TV stations. However, in the last few days, LIN Media increased its fees even more, demanding more than a 175 percent rate increase in the first year alone.

"LIN Media is simply being greedy, insisting on a rate increase so immense that DISH Network and its customers couldn't possibly absorb it. Their onerous demands and burdensome contract terms would result in payments of millions of dollars more each month, exceeding current market rates and demanding more money than we pay most of our popular national networks.

"We are pleased the FCC met this week to propose changes to this outdated retransmission consent process between broadcasters and pay-TV operators. We believe the system is broken and are happy to see the FCC recognize it is time to make changes that put consumers' needs at the forefront.

"DISH Network remains open to further talks with LIN Media in hopes of reaching a fair deal to restore the channels."•

By moving I meant that I am in Indianapolis, my locals are now Cleveland (Non-LIN stations) and I'm in the spot beam. People in Dayton and Columbus could also "move" to Cleveland, Erie, or Youngstown. People in Fort Wayne, Lafayette, and Terre Haute could move to Champaign/Springfield. I am only sure of these with HD on 129. Also, Indianapolis people could choose Champaign/Springfield, Cleveland, Erie or Youngstown. Indianapolis is on the far edge of the Ohio beam. St. Louis is also a possible in the Terre Haute area, it is received in Indianapolis but tends to be weak and sometimes unrealable. This could also, be used in other areas where there are LIN stations, but I am unsure of the spot beams. And if you are on EA, 77 with Conus locals.

This is awesome! I’m ten for eleven on convincing people I know (friends, family, neighbors, coworkers) to dump their dish and switch to cable, and even after promos are up all ten and still with TW. The satellite companies have made it easy and all I have to do paint a picture and use some key wording in making my case. The one person who I can’t get to switch? My own uncle who got Dish Notwork the same day we did in December of 1998. Now with no CBS for the CSIs, NCISs and Criminal Minds’, combined with how much he hates his DVRs I think I can finally break through to him. Hopefully tomorrow I can score my eleventh Time Warner service referral and be a perfect 11/11 on making people see the light.

And what advantage is it to you?

Connecticut here as well.....my wife is gonna be pissed that she can't watch her Desperate Housewives....every time something like this happens she wants to switch back to Comcast.....ugh

This is awesome! I’m ten for eleven on convincing people I know (friends, family, neighbors, coworkers) to dump their dish and switch to cable, and even after promos are up all ten and still with TW. The satellite companies have made it easy and all I have to do paint a picture and use some key wording in making my case. The one person who I can’t get to switch? My own uncle who got Dish Notwork the same day we did in December of 1998. Now with no CBS for the CSIs, NCISs and Criminal Minds’, combined with how much he hates his DVRs I think I can finally break through to him. Hopefully tomorrow I can score my eleventh Time Warner service referral and be a perfect 11/11 on making people see the light.

If you would do more research and less talk, you would find this exact same thing happened between TWC and Lin Broadcasting in October 2008 in 13 cities and it took 26 days to resolve. Let's see how happy they will be in this coming October when their agreement expires, assuming it was their usual three year deal. In this situation, YOU should really be rooting for Dish.

Last edited:
This is awesome! I’m ten for eleven on convincing people I know (friends, family, neighbors, coworkers) to dump their dish and switch to cable, and even after promos are up all ten and still with TW. The satellite companies have made it easy...
As already noted, late 2008, Time Warner was in the same dispute with LIN-TV and channels went dark. How did the people you convinced to switch feel then ? Or, at the end of 2010 and into Jan 2011, Time Warner and Sinclair were having the same pissing contest. They did extension after extension and did resolve it though... I do like the fact that Time Warner had contingency plans and made them well-known in that they'd supply out-of-market feeds of the missing channels !! I suspect Time Warner "won" that fight. :)

As already noted, late 2008, Time Warner was in the same dispute with LIN-TV and channels went dark. How did the people you convinced to switch feel then ? Or, at the end of 2010 and into Jan 2011, Time Warner and Sinclair were having the same pissing contest. They did extension after extension and did resolve it though... I do like the fact that Time Warner had contingency plans and made them well-known in that they'd supply out-of-market feeds of the missing channels !! I suspect Time Warner "won" that fight. :)

Sure wish E* would or could do the same.

How much is WANE paying DISH Network to help them broadcast their signal to the residents of their community where their signal is supposed to be received? ZERO.

How much ad revenue does the station share with DISH Network because more people are seeing its signal? ZERO

How much does WANE pay DISH Network to build and launch these satellites which cost a half a billion dollars so that WANE's signal can be broadcast? ZERO

If they wanted to serve their communities that would say THANK YOU to DISH Network for helping them reach their community or they would invest in better transmitters so that their signal reaches viewers in their area that they are supposed to serve.

Well put, Scott. I just posted these questions on our local CBS affiliate's FB page.

And what advantage is it to you?

Service referrals mean service credits for me.

If you would do more research and less talk, you would find this exact same thing happened between TWC and Lin Broadcasting in October 2008 in 13 cities and it took 26 days to resolve. Let's see how happy they will be in this coming October when their agreement expires, assuming it was their usual three year deal. In this situation, YOU should really be rooting for Dish.
If YOU would read more and spout off LESS, you would have seen that I experienced the great LIN Blackout of 2008 and I just switched over to QAM and watched my CBS programming from the market next door. For the first week TW provided us directly with feeds of the stations from Rochester, then LIN complained and the feeds were pulled. And now TW has agreements with the networks themselves to provide programming, so I could care less if TW losing the local channels or not. Those that I referred really had no issue with the loss of LINs WIVB and WNLO since many live on or near the county boarder and can get WROC out of Rochester on their cable box. Significantly viewed locals, something satellite doesn't do.
Like I said, most just watched a different CBS. The Sinclair spat didn’t mean anything as nothing was ever pulled.