Looks Like Lin is back!

Pennies a day could mean 10 cents a day and that equates to $3.00 a month (or so) per subscriber. That is far more than half of what Dish charges for locals. What about all the other local channels, when they get wind of another group getting that much, they are going to ask for something similar. Voila, Dish has to pay twice as much , or more, for locals and in turn so will you.

Bingo. Which is why this is so annoying, and the confidentiality clauses are a royal dis-service to the subscribers to figure out who is in the wrong here.

the reply I got didn't deny the 175% number, but put it in the penny or 2 per day range.

but they BOTH need to stop putting the subscribers in the middle, and just make a REASONABLE deal.

I disagree. Once Dish acknowledges the networks can make these demands the sky is the limit. Why do you think Congress is finally (maybe) starting to see the light. Compromise only works when both sides are making reasonable demands. If I say I want a 700% increase, what is a compromise? 350%? Many times when people want a compromise they are only looking at the short term, putting off the long term... So in this case is a 85% increase ok? Then another 85% in a couple of years?

–noun
1. A settlement of differences by mutual concessions; an agreement reached by adjustment of conflicting or opposing claims, principles, etc., by reciprocal modification of demands.
If it can be done without Dish giving up their principle that the networks can't keep making demands, and holding hostage their programming, and still be protected from Dish negotiating with any other of the same networks, then yes, Dish should compromise. Otherwise lets see if Congress can step up to the plate.

Last edited:
Note I said reasonable. That means BOTH sides.

Yes, we need to see REAL numbers which won't happen. How is my statement in contradiction to yours?

Bingo. Which is why this is so annoying, and the confidentiality clauses are a royal dis-service to the subscribers to figure out who is in the wrong here.
If LIN is truly asking for a triple-digit percentage increase (which they are not denying ;)), to me, it's easy to see who's the bad guy...

I think Dish should stop negotiating with these scoundrels and just take LIN off satellite permanently to make a lesson of them. Dish could send us all MT2 units to keep us mollified. Then when LIN declares themselves must-carry, Dish can put them back on again for free. :)

If LIN is truly asking for a triple-digit percentage increase (which they are not denying ;)), to me, it's easy to see who's the bad guy...
Well I remember some company that increased my receiver price 142% less than two years past so
does that make them the bad guy?
In this case I think both are at fault LIN should be glad just to be repeated by the video company
and dish should be providing the ota data.

Very different. You have many choices. You could get Direct or Cable. We and Dish have no choices because of the protection the networks get. One is a free market business decision. The other is a monopoly.

Well I remember some company that increased my receiver price 142% less than two years past so
does that make them the bad guy?
In this case I think both are at fault LIN should be glad just to be repeated by the video company
and dish should be providing the ota data.
Maybe. You made a decision whether or not to pay it. Dish made a decision to not pay that kind of increase.

Plus, providing the "pennies a day" or 140% etc. figures are true, how can Dish be at fault for simply deciding to not pay an increase like that??

Maybe. You made a decision whether or not to pay it. Dish made a decision to not pay that kind of increase.

Plus, providing the "pennies a day" or 140% etc. figures are true, how can Dish be at fault for simply deciding to not pay an increase like that??
I was and currently under a contract at the old price so it was not my decision was it? and as i said dish is at fault for not providing the ota data to the outside air receiver I paid them for regardless of them retransmitting the lin signal or not

Very different. You have many choices. You could get Direct or Cable. We and Dish have no choices because of the protection the networks get. One is a free market business decision. The other is a monopoly.
Whats the difference between a monopoly and a company that sell you a service at one price raises it a month later then wants you to pay to get out of your contract?

I was and currently under a contract at the old price so it was not my decision was it?
Sure it was. There were options, although not attractive ones. You could have paid to get out of the contract you agreed to. Dish decided to exercise an option and not pay the huge increase to LIN. As a result, they are probably losing subscribers over the decision. Repercussions for everyone!!

and as i said dish is at fault for not providing the ota data to the outside air receiver I paid them for regardless of them retransmitting the lin signal or not
I agree!!

Whats the difference between a monopoly and a company that sell you a service at one price raises it a month later then wants you to pay to get out of your contract?

Easy. The contract you signed provided for that. You didn't have to sign with Dish. By the way, unless it is stated to be guaranteed for the term of the contract it isn't. That is a common mistake people make and not just with Dish. And in most instances, if you were given a promotional price, you still get the promotion, meaning you still pay less than I do. That is exactly the way it is with my heating oil company. I get a discount for automatic delivery, signed up for a year. I still get the discount, but pay more now than I did at the beginning of the contract. Standard business. If I keep my commitment I get a 1/2 price furnace cleaning at the end of the contract. If I don't I lose that.

Last edited:
Got a non-response from president at dishnetwork.com (same boilerplate):
(my response is above theirs):
This is the same non-answer you send to all questions.

This is NOT useful.

(signature elided with personal contact info)
From: President of Dish Network [mailto:CEOofDishNetwork@dishnetwork.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:25 PM
To: Larry Rosenman
Subject: RE: So, Who's not telling all the story?

Dear Valued DISH Network Customer,

DISH Network and LIN Media are in contract negotiations regarding your local stations. LIN has demanded an outrageous rate increase of over 175% for the continued carriage of your channels. DISH has offered multiple extensions to continue to keep your channels on air, but LIN has refused to negotiate.

We apologize that LIN is putting you in the middle of our negotiations by pulling down the signal and blocking your local channels.

The increase LIN is demanding is so immense, that DISH Network and its customers couldn’t possibly absorb it. It is like demanding an overnight increase to almost $9 a gallon for gas, which is unacceptable and irresponsible.

In these challenging economic times, it is important that we rally together to show LIN how their actions negatively affect DISH Network and its customers.

For more information, please visit HYPERLINK "http://www.fairsatellite.com/" \\t "_blank" www.fairsatellite.com
We know this programming is important to you, and we promise we’ll attempt to negotiate until a fair and equitable agreement can be reached. While we work to restore your channel, catch many great shows elsewhere on hulu.com, dishonline.com, iTunes, FOX.com, CWtv.com, ABC.com, CBS.com and NBC.com.

For more information, please visit www.fairsatellite.com

Thank you for being a DISH Network Customer.

Sincerely,
DISH Network

Now, who do I need to write to at dish to get real answers other than what looks like an auto-bot response?

Using the word Monopoly is ridiculous in this argument, because they do have outside competition. It's up to the customer to decide weather or not to go.

Easy. The contract you signed provided for that. You didn't have to sign with Dish. By the way, unless it is stated to be guaranteed for the term of the contract it isn't. That is a common mistake people make and not just with Dsih. And in most instances, if you were given a promotional price, you still get the promotion, meaning you still pay less than I do. That is exactly the way it is with my heating oil company. I get a discount for automatic delivery, signed up for a year. I still get the discount, but pay more now than I did at the beginning of the contract. Standard business. If I keep my commitment I get a 1/2 price furnace cleaning at the end of the contract. If I don't I lose that.
Ok lets see if I understand what you are saying
LIN was charging a promotional price now they want their full price that is 175% higher so that ok for them to do that .

Ok lets see if I understand what you are saying
LIN was charging a promotional price now they want their full price that is 175% higher so that ok for them to do that .

No completely wrong. Using my example, if you want to watch the Network programs, (Assuming no OTA available) OR if Dish wants to carry them they and you must pay whatever the networks asks or you don't get to watch. Period, seems easy to understand. It is a monopoly in each DMA.
If Dish wants to charge whatever it wants for it's service, just like the networks, it can, but you do not have to pay it, yet can still watch the programming from somewhere else, presumably cheaper if you are leaving Dish...... You can twist it any way you want, those are the facts. :)

Even if I agree it was a promotional price Lin was originally asking, there is no out for the consumer (Dish or us) other than not to get the product. Remember, this was not always the case, or did you forget that? Those in a white zone, where the network was not providing a signal could indeed get the product elsewhere. (distants) But now, if the sat companies carry the local network, even in a white zone you no longer can get distants. Monopoly....

Last edited:
No completely wrong. Using my example, if you want to watch the Network programs, (Assuming no OTA available) OR if Dish wants to carry them they and you must pay whatever the networks asks or you don't get to watch. Period, seems easy to understand. It is a monopoly in each DMA.
If Dish wants to charge whatever it wants for it's service, just like the networks, it can, but you do not have to pay it, yet can still watch the programming from somewhere else, presumably cheaper if you are leaving Dish...... You can twist it any way you want, those are the facts. :)

Even if I agree it was a promotional price Lin was originally asking, there is no out for the consumer (Dish or us) other than not to get the product. Remember, this was not always the case, or did you forget that? Those in a white zone, where the network was not providing a signal could indeed get the product elsewhere. (distants) But now, if the sat companies carry the local network, even in a white zone you no longer can get distants. Monopoly....

Well, it's not the networks that Dish is paying. LIN is requesting more $$ for only their stations, which they gladly broadcast for FREE. So, who is the real crook here? Dish Network, charging us a monthly fee to cover the cost of installation and upkeep of equipment to broaden the viewing audience of LIN stations, who btw are getting that for free, or LIN, (or any other broadcast conglomerate) who is asking an outrageous amount be paid to them for their FREE service?

I don't know why it's so hard for anyone w/ common sense to understand that the broadcasters are gouging cable & satellite companies to enlarge their coverage areas? Their so damned set on taking their signal off because no one wants to pay for something that is already free. Then they have the ba$$s to tell you that you're missing your favorite shows and "local news & weather"... I call BS!!! They tell you that to scare you but readily post at the end of a broadcast (news or show) just where to go on the internet for further updates, videos and full episodes... again for FREE... Why do they insist that they are paid to be carried when all they do is provide a FREE signal & everyone else pays the bill to get that signal to us???

How much is WANE paying DISH Network to help them broadcast their signal to the residents of their community where their signal is supposed to be received? ZERO.

How much ad revenue does the station share with DISH Network because more people are seeing its signal? ZERO

How much does WANE pay DISH Network to build and launch these satellites which cost a half a billion dollars so that WANE's signal can be broadcast? ZERO

If they wanted to serve their communities that would say THANK YOU to DISH Network for helping them reach their community or they would invest in better transmitters so that their signal reaches viewers in their area that they are supposed to serve.

Scott, would you mind if I were to copy & paste this on WANE-TV's Facebook page?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts