Looks like no Voom for the next few days in NJ

GadgetRick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Near NYC
Well, looks like we're getting a tropical storm then a hurricane. Guess I should go stock up on DVDs since Voom will be useless with that kind of rain. Gee, sure wish I knew when I might be getting that larger dish...

Kind of annoying to know I won't be able to watch anything on Voom for the next few days...

The Rickster

I'm in VA, in Martinsville to be more precise, and we have severe thunderstorms combined with heavy rainfall (remnants of the previous hurricane) and voom is surprisingly not skipping a beat... in fact we had a tornado watch and now a flood watch and voom hasn’t lost signal, it did have some minor macro blocking for a few seconds a couple of times, but all in all its doing great, sat signal strength reads 95 oh and I have the standard 18" dish

DRAKO said:
I'm in VA, in Martinsville to be more precise, and we have severe thunderstorms combined with heavy rainfall (remnants of the previous hurricane) and voom is surprisingly not skipping a beat... in fact we had a tornado watch and now a flood watch and voom hasn’t lost signal, it did have some minor macro blocking for a few seconds a couple of times, but all in all its doing great, sat signal strength reads 95 oh and I have the standard 18" dish
Me too. Im on the coast of Virginia in Newport News near VA beach, Norfolk Etc, with standard 18" dish and no drop outs!! I expected it to be out until Monday at least. LMAO

Well...

Let's hope the same happens here. Maybe it's because the storm isn't as far out in the Atlantic where the satellites are? Anyway, I hope I don't lose it for the weekend...

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
Well, looks like we're getting a tropical storm then a hurricane. Guess I should go stock up on DVDs since Voom will be useless with that kind of rain. Gee, sure wish I knew when I might be getting that larger dish...
The Rickster

Is V* giving you a hard time getting you a dish?
I called V* on last Friday telling them I had bad rain fade and without asking for it they said they would Install a 24" dish. I could have set up an install for that Wed. But I chose to have it Installed on Sat. 8/7/04.
I had some pretty hard rain since and it has been fine. I used to get fade on just light rain.
BTW I'm also in N.J. North/East
Good luck And keep me/us posted.

GadgetRick said:
Let's hope the same happens here. Maybe it's because the storm isn't as far out in the Atlantic where the satellites are? Anyway, I hope I don't lose it for the weekend...

The Rickster
So is it out, or are you still Vooming? How is the storm?

No rain...yet...

No rain here yet. We'll see what happens. I'm actually headed into the City for dinner this evening so I'll be out in it.

I've not tried asking Voom for a bigger dish yet. I've been hoping/waiting for them to give me the 35" dish so I didn't have to bug them. I guess I'll have to give them a call next week on this...

The Rickster

It's not how much it is raining, it is where the thickest clouds are. I had a downpour coming overhead one day and my signal barely budged, but an hour later, it was clear overhead and thick black clouds in line of sight to the sat and I lost the signal with the sun shining!

I agree with Darrell but during heavy rains I always experience clouds. Its raining here Saturday and still not a hint of Fade. Im thinking voom has changed their error correction. It seems very unusual to be this stable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)