Looks like satellite tv isn’t going anywhere anytime soon

Even so the “major” channel number will remain the same regardless of the channel assignment.

So basically people need to rescan periodically if they loose their favorite channel.
1) Not all stations will be affected by the repack.
2) Those stations that are affected will do plenty of promotion regarding when they do their change over.
3) If people LOSE their favorite channel, they should:
check connections
check cable
check antenna aiming
check amplifier (if used)​

Reactions: charlesrshell
2) Those stations that are affected will do plenty of promotion regarding when they do their change over.
check connections
check cable
check antenna aiming
Most people don't use OTA..unfortunately

Doubtful. In major markets? Sure. All 200+ markets across the country? Nope.
Most stations are now owned by conglomerates ..one major station feeds the smaller stations from a centralized location..they have one master control for everybody..its very easy to run fiber now

Most stations are now owned by conglomerates ..one major station feeds the smaller stations from a centralized location..they have one master control for everybody..its very easy to run fiber now
Still doesn't mean it's being done. In my market, Dish gets ALL channels OTA. Direct gets one via fiber, the rest OTA. Spectrum gets all the stations via fiber. The other 50+ (yes, that is the correct number) MVPDs servicing the area? OTA.

Reactions: whatchel1
Still doesn't mean it's being done. In my market, Dish gets ALL channels OTA. Direct gets one via fiber, the rest OTA. Spectrum gets all the stations via fiber. The other 50+ (yes, that is the correct number) MVPDs servicing the area? OTA.
Must be a lot of mom and pop cable companies...what site shows how diush picks up channels?..you have me curious noiw

Must be a lot of mom and pop cable companies...what site shows how diush picks up channels?..you have me curious noiw
Yes, there are a lot of mom and pop cable companies. I don't know of a site listing how Dish picks up the signals. I know people who know people who know how it's done in my market. If you want to find out how your market is done, call one of the local broadcasters and ask for engineering. They should be able to tell you.

check connections
check cable
check antenna aiming

If you get your channels OTA, you should just rescan thru your Dish receiver FIRST. If you get your channels from Dish, Dish will take care of the problem and you will not notice any change.

If you get your channels OTA, you should just rescan thru your Dish receiver FIRST. If you get your channels from Dish, Dish will take care of the problem and you will not notice any change.
Why first? Now, maybe if you know the station has changed their channels, sure. But if everything has been working fine, and there's no indication the station made a change, I still say it's more than likely a receiver issue (antenna, cable, amplifier, etc).

ETA: I still don't understand what the repack has to do with keeping satellite TV around.

Reactions: pattykay
Why first? Now, maybe if you know the station has changed their channels, sure. But if everything has been working fine, and there's no indication the station made a change, I still say it's more than likely a receiver issue (antenna, cable, amplifier, etc).

ETA: I still don't understand what the repack has to do with keeping satellite TV around.

There shoving more channels into one frequency. For people who already need a good amplifier to pick up stations are going to have a harder time pulling those channels in. With satellite that’s no longer your problem. It becomes the satellite providers problem.

Adding more sub-channels has nothing to do with reception.

They just reduce the quality of every sub-channel, the carrier wave remains the same.

I have one frequency that carries 7 SD channels and all of them are receivable, it's just that some times the picture will be jerky or blocky due to the extra compression or bit starving of the sub-channels.

Reactions: pattykay
As we get to the packed configuration we will see ATSC 3 implemented and you will see no loss of quality as we know it.

As we get to the packed configuration we will see ATSC 3 implemented and you will see no loss of quality as we know it.

So, I've got this bridge in Brooklyn... ;)

Seriously though, maybe one day, but as long as they have to broadcast ATSC 1 and 3 simultaneously, they are going to have to bit-starve things a lot to make it all fit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)