Looong distance hook-up

rostark

Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I am looking for answers to my problem. Due to marital demands beyond my control, I am forced to connect to my existing dish which is located some 500 feet from my current residence. The dish is next to (20') a building providing AC power. Does anyone know of any boosters that will provide me with adequate signal strength at my receiver?

Thanks for any help.

There are in-line signal boosters and you probably need RG-11 cable also to minimise signal loss.

Have run 500 feet with no problem, as long as quality cable is used.. The only issue I have had with this situation is different ground potentials between the two buildings.. Had to put a two prong adapter on one of the units to keep it from shorting out. Or you can break off the ground lug on the power plug. But that is pretty permenent. But the actual 500 ft run of cable presented no real signal quality issues

Have run 500 feet with no problem, as long as quality cable is used.. The only issue I have had with this situation is different ground potentials between the two buildings.. Had to put a two prong adapter on one of the units to keep it from shorting out. Or you can break off the ground lug on the power plug. But that is pretty permenent. But the actual 500 ft run of cable presented no real signal quality issues

You do this with legacy equipment?

Use the best cable you can find.

I had a cable run of about 400 feet using cheep cable. The voltage drop was so bad that the receiver could not switch polarization. I experimented with a voltage inserter and it took something like 23V to switch. I also needed two in-line amps. You might be able to boost voltage but, I wouldn't want to advise any further else, you may toast your receiver.

Last edited:
You do this with legacy equipment?

Actually it was with a Superdish a few years ago. Big wig with a big spread on the water, main house at one place and a smaller cabin around 500 ft away. Couple of DP301's. When I first hooked it up the long distance run kept giving me a very big problem with switching. But once I ungrounded the power plug with a two prong adapter that isolated the problem with ground potential, the switching went to working just fine. Signal loss was negligible.

Run power to the dish and put the receiving in a small shed / box that is moisture tight then run the coax back to the house. Diplex / split the UHF antenna out and TV output wire so that you can control channel changing from the same wire that you will run the cable into the television. Run additional cables for additional rooms you need wired.

You could also run that power wire up there and do it wirelessly with a pair of radios (such as Tranzeo, Deliberant) that is made for transmitting data. Some companies use this for their security camera's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts