Los Angeles-KCET HD viewers time to complain to KCET

andy2175m4

Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
LOS ANGELES Channel 28 HDTV reboot:

In world of consumer electronics, we seem to have accepted ENDLESS obsolescence in the PC world, and as the PC is not regulated by the FCC, or any other government agency, Microsoft and the other PC vendors get away with it. They are completely myopic and only see the world in terms of their own product roll-out plans. They don’t seem to be the least bit concerned with backward compatibility.

However, the backward compatibility of HDTV receivers, I think, is another story.

Regarding the matter of KCET Los Angeles, and the data stream that reboots the VOOM and Samsung HDTV receivers, (I have one of each) I do believe we have a good case for complaining to KCET to fix the problem. It has been well documented that there is a problem with data stream, and my quick look indicates it is PBS stations only. Their arrogance at work.

If the commercial TV stations had a problem, they would fix it quickly, as their revenue is determined by audience, not by pledges. If 10% of the watchers of KCET are subscribers and the other 90% are freeloaders, does that mean we deserve no consideration? NO, not at all. We are voters and taxpayers, and to the extent that KCET is regulated by the FCC, they must comply with government regulations in serving the viewers, regardless if all the viewers are subscribers or not. I do not have to have a subscription to the LA Times, but I read that paper from time to time, and can still call for them to be responsible and responsive to the public, and KCET has the same responsibility to the public.

I suggest all HDTV viewers that are affected by the data stream glitch of KCET in Los Angeles should call, write and Email to KCET, and tell them to fix the problem.

Here is the contact info:

KCET
4401 Sunset Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90027
tel: (323) 666-6500

(Please notice it says “viewer services” not Subscriber services)

Viewer Services:
email: viewerservices@kcet.org
tel: (323) 953-5238
President and CEO Al Jerome
VP News & Public Affairs Val Zavala

Here is an FAQ from the KCET website:

Why does my Digital receiver stop responding and require a reboot when I select KCET HD on 28-1?

On April 12, 2006 KCET began data casting TV guide information within the digital broadcast. This causes digital receivers that are not ATSC compliant to fail. The only receivers that have exhibited this problem to date are those distributed by the now defunct VOOM HD network. The receivers were originally manufactured by Motorola under model name DSR 550 for VOOM. When VOOM went into bankruptcy many of these receivers were sold on E-BAY at a very low price. Motorola has refused to support the unit or to provide any upgrades to the unit. Unfortunately, the only recourse left to the viewer is to discontinue the use of the unit and purchase a new receiver

(my comments: A new box, in one example costs $300 from Crutchfield, an arrogant and technically unimaginative response from KCET).
Samsung SIR-TS360

A lot of people dont know about Samsung ATSC receivers reacting to certain PSIP datacasting like Voom receivers do. What is worse there are way more Samsung ATSC receivers!

Last time I read about the ATSC standard it is currently in "Recommended Practice" its not all of the PBS stations causing ATSC receiver problems. To file a complaint its better to contact the FCC.
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

Last edited:
In contacting the FCC, stations are NOT notified until weeks/months later after it filters back and forth via the lawyers. First step is ALWAYS with the station. Note that nothing says data streams have to be backward compatible. There is stuff that says NEW receivers have to be compatible with the standard of last year. I will bet there would be ZERO response from the FCC, as they already have a law covering this issue.

At least when you contact a government official or office with a trail you wont get ignored or worry about getting a restraining order.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)