LOS expert's statement needed for HOA dispute.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jerryt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
South Florida
There are two 30 foot tall palm trees on the South side of my back yard. I could not get any Line Of Sight (LOS) for any satellites between 61 and 101. So I installed a T90 on the South side of the house, which worked perfectly.

Now the Home Owner's Association wants to enforce the rule that all satellite dishes must be installed on the back of the house, and issued me a violation, informing me to remove the dish.

I will request an exception to this HOA restriction based on the fact that the restriction would "preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal". This "reception of an acceptable quality signal" is not to be prohibited by HOA's according to; FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Is there anyone in South Florida that would give me a statement in writing, as an expert, that it is indeed true that there is no Line Of Sight from the back yard?

The violations committee has no idea how satellite signals work, or even that there is more then one satellite. Also they have to doubt what people are trying to get past them, after all they were able to put their dish in the back yard.

Thanks in advance.

alternative

Jerry -

Welcome back - :up

Sorry to hear of your troubles, especially after configuring that T-90 so exquisitely.

Perhaps you could use a book from your local library to educate the uneducated?
Or, print out some of the more technical web sites?

Look for a local satellite installer with FTA or BUD experience?
Find an old one who's retired. Gives that look of authenticity. ;)

You could also act as your own expert. You're certainly qualified. :cool:
Make up some charts 'n graphs, not unlike a high-school science fair project.

Actually, I lean toward the web sites - perhaps a little Googling would find enough ammunition?

I read in one of the threads that that is not enforcable due to FCC regulations.

In this case, the OTARD doesn't apply since he's using a dish that is larger than 90cm. Sure, it behaves like multiple 90cm's, but it's physically larger than protected by the OTARD.

the T90 is 42x40 which is a smidge above the FCC rule (1m aka 39.66667 inches)....but I you should have a grandfathered rule maybe...check with the HOA

Now the Home Owner's Association wants to enforce the rule that all satellite dishes must be installed on the back of the house, and issued me a violation, informing me to remove the dish.

OH, I thought this was not about the size but the location.

OH, I thought this was not about the size but the location.
Yes, but the rules that would protect his ability to mount the dish in front of the house only protect dishes up to 90cm. Any larger, and they don't fall within the rules, and are not protected.

Almost any engineering firm will come with a transit and shoot the az/el lines you want and give you a stamped statement. I used to have to get this done occasionally for commercial installations. Sometimes you can get a surveyor to do it also. A definitive statement will cost you some money, but be more effective in a court room.

Good Luck, Eric

Yes, but the rules that would protect his ability to mount the dish in front of the house only protect dishes up to 90cm. Any larger, and they don't fall within the rules, and are not protected.

actually its 1m unless its Alaska then its any size dish

jerryt-

To me the T90 is a thing of beauty but it is so strange looking that it draws attention to it.
I sold my condo and bought a house just to get away from other people restricting my rights.

Iceberg-

I saw your review of the t90 on Sadouns' forum, cool pics! Great review.

Tell them if they cause you to remove your T-90, you'll have to replace it with 10..12..? 90cm dishes. - :eek: - :D

Exactly what I'd do...

I sold my condo and bought a house just to get away from other people restricting my rights.

They even try that illegal @#$ in uncontrolled subdivisions. Some people just feel the need to try to run other people's lives (and private property) :rolleyes: ...

HOA

I had faced a similar problem in the past, but Satellite Home Viewers Improvement Act should cover you. There is some debate whether they can restrict the location of the dish, but they CAN NOT prohibit the install of anything below 1 M.

One resource that you might want to contact is SBCA (Satellite Broadcaster Corp Assoc.) as they are the lobby arm in DC for the satellite interest. They may be able to get you the documentation you need, though, remember that they are focused more on the DBS stuff.

I used to live in one of the HOA's, but like Iceberg moved out because of the regulations. I have always had a C band dish and

An interesting contrast I have seen is that the powers of the HOA depending on your state. In Virginia, they basically let them act as their own municipal government, while here in Texas (THANK Goodness) they have very little power.

Best advice is to take the position that you are helping them avoid being in conflict with Federal Regulation rather than an adversarial position.

Good luck and keep up the fight!

There are two 30 foot tall palm trees on the South side of my back yard. I could not get any Line Of Sight (LOS) for any satellites between 61 and 101. So I installed a T90 on the South side of the house, which worked perfectly.

I will request an exception to this HOA restriction based on the fact that the restriction would "preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal". This "reception of an acceptable quality signal" is not to be prohibited by HOA's according to; FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Is there anyone in South Florida that would give me a statement in writing, as an expert, that it is indeed true that there is no Line Of Sight from the back yard?

The violations committee has no idea how satellite signals work, or even that there is more then one satellite. Also they have to doubt what people are trying to get past them, after all they were able to put their dish in the back yard.

Thanks in advance.

1: Cover the whole dish with TYVEK, and use plastic coathangers inside to form it into a rock shape. Sat signals go through Tyvek like it's not even there. You can get free Tyvek from house builders, if you go by their building sites and ask. Or just buy some.

2: Spraypaint the Tyvek to look like a landscape rock. (Or you could make a bush, if you are good enough with painting!) Or, make a box shape, and paint it to look like a central air conditioner!

Problem solved. You no longer have a dish, you have a ROCK!

I did nearly the same thing with a Primestar 90cm dish. Only mine is in the edge of a woods on a pole, so the Tyvek is painted brown and green, and is almost totally invisible to anybody, unless you are real close to it.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.

What I would do: Report the f***ers to the FCC, and see how those Neighborhood Nazis like it when the feds come down on them. If an HOA racket is giving you trouble, you can file a complaint with he FCC.

**sigh**

I love when people come here and spew the same "ideas" about HOA's when they didnt read the whole post

The T90 dish is 42x40 (I know..I measured it when I installed mine) so if the HOA wanted to get nasty they COULD tell him to move it because it is not covered by the FCC rule. Its larger than one meter. So technically he is not covered by OTARD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)