Lose satellite EVERY time it rains

toadfannc

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
I've had Dish for about a year and I've been very disappointed with the effect of weather on reception. I am not exaggerating when I say that I lose signal (literally) whenever it's cloudy enough for rain. Even before it starts raining, the signal goes in and out. When it actually does rain-- forget it. I expected it to happen every now and then, but this is ridiculous.

Thankfully I live in NC where it rains about once a month. Is this normal, or should I get Dish out to check? If I continue to lose all TV whenever it sprinkles, I may have to go back to cable just for reliability ... even though their (TWC) line-up sucks.

That's not normal. I have a Dish 500 system with 2 301 receivers. The only time I lose the signal is during a heavy rain/thunderstorm or when the snow piles up and blocks the lnb. I'd check your dish setup: properly aligned with maximum signal, clear line-of-sight to satellites, lnb secure on support arm and not flopping around, check dish for dents or warpage, correct skew setting (if applicable), etc. Good luck.

yea I have the same problem.If I am watching a show on the 129 satellite it always seems to go out.129 is a dieing bird.:mad:

129 is a bad satellite in general so that does go out

its when you lose 119 or 110 all the time that there is an issue

I've had Dish for about a year and I've been very disappointed with the effect of weather on reception. I am not exaggerating when I say that I lose signal (literally) whenever it's cloudy enough for rain. Even before it starts raining, the signal goes in and out. When it actually does rain-- forget it. I expected it to happen every now and then, but this is ridiculous.

Thankfully I live in NC where it rains about once a month. Is this normal, or should I get Dish out to check? If I continue to lose all TV whenever it sprinkles, I may have to go back to cable just for reliability ... even though their (TWC) line-up sucks.
Ok..please do not take this wrong way. I often wonder why a savvy consumer would accept crappy service that THEY are paying for? I run into this on service calls quite often.
Call Dish and schedule a service call.

Post your signal strength for 119 Transponder 11 and 110 Transponder 11. Go to menu>6>1> and then just switch the signals to those transponders, wait for them to lock and report those numbers here. We can tell you if they're insufficient. Also, if you can, you might want to check and see if your dish is solidly mounted or if it has play in it.

Post your signal strength for 119 Transponder 11 and 110 Transponder 11. Go to menu>6>1> and then just switch the signals to those transponders, wait for them to lock and report those numbers here. We can tell you if they're insufficient. Also, if you can, you might want to check and see if your dish is solidly mounted or if it has play in it.

110- signal strength of 69
119- signal strength of 77
129- signal strength of 52

I talked to Dish last night. They say these numbers are "good". He walked me through the Switch test routine. He said that sometimes this takes care of the issue-- it helps the switch "associate" with the installed equipment. He said that if it continues to occur (the next time it rains) to call back and they will schedule a technician to take a look.

I'm right next to you in Cary (NC) and have the same problem. Sometimes I lose 129 before I even know its raining (then I look outside and say "oh")

..and don't get me started on how idiot the box is in dealing with signal loss.. it won't let me change channels.. UNLESS I hit DVR (go to stored programming.. and from there go to Guide... why I can't go to guide directly is beyond me) ... would be nice if the guide would tell you which channels were still active...

Guess I need to give Dish a call.

PS. was no worries since we had a drought last year.. getting the rain this year has been good for everything except TV...)

I'm right next to you in Cary (NC) and have the same problem. Sometimes I lose 129 before I even know its raining (then I look outside and say "oh")

..and don't get me started on how idiot the box is in dealing with signal loss.. it won't let me change channels.. UNLESS I hit DVR (go to stored programming.. and from there go to Guide... why I can't go to guide directly is beyond me) ... would be nice if the guide would tell you which channels were still active...

Guess I need to give Dish a call.

Exactly. Last night I lost the signal. Sure enough, I look outside and there are some dark clouds. I didn't get it back until 30 minutes later after a relatively mild shower. The thing is, when I first got Dish (last Sept.), I rarely lost the signal-- unless it was a downpour. Something is wrong IMO. I called Dish last night and the CSR had me go through a switch test. I'm not too optimistic, but we'll see the next time it rains (or clouds up).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)