Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think this may be the best option for HD Absolute subs. You get many channels like NatGeo, Science in the 2nd pack. Then you get channels like HDNet w/o having to pay for platinum. I got it for my friend who has Absolute, but is not good with computers. She got it, question is how to get it back for me.

I browsed the DIRECTV MAS site and had to select $5 off in order for the extra $ off. I got a pop-up. Then I went to:
Costco.com: No One Offers Better HD Than DIRECTV
Select a package.
DIRECTV: Referral Program in the same browser. Enter an ID. I used 44375412

Your Programming Selection, Special Offers & Services

paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Any cancellation grace period if I order? what I like is you don't need to sub to250 to get NatGeO and Science HD. Choice Extra seems pretty on-par with Absolute. Plus, one gets FX HD, MTV HD, VH1 HD and more. Question is how I do it again?

Last edited:
Finally got the phone call from Dish. Talked with a guy named Randy. I expressed my disappointment about the change and told him I’m still considering all my options. His first offer was the same as stated in the letter and stated the credit amount mentioned in the letter was $10 to any of the America’s Top packages in addition to the free Platinum HD for a year.

After I said I might discontinue service He offered me the same price new customers are getting for America’s Top 120 at $24.99 mo;. I said I’d think about it . Next, his offer was changed to $15 mo credit and would extended to Dish Americas Gold or Silver packages also, but only $5 mo credit if I changed to lowest level Dish America..

Still giving all this some thought, I might end up changing over to a Verizon’s Fios bundled package; I’ll end up with a few less HD channels, but will save several dollars more than I am now paying for phone internet and TV combined..

Finally got the phone call from Dish. Talked with a guy named Randy. I expressed my disappointment about the change and told him I’m still considering all my options. His first offer was the same as stated in the letter and stated the credit amount mentioned in the letter was $10 to any of the America’s Top packages in addition to the free Platinum HD for a year.

After I said I might discontinue service He offered me the same price new customers are getting for America’s Top 120 at $24.99 mo;. I said I’d think about it . Next, his offer was changed to $15 mo credit and would extended to Dish Americas Gold or Silver packages also, but only $5 mo credit if I changed to lowest level Dish America..

Still giving all this some thought, I might end up changing over to a Verizon’s Fios bundled package; I’ll end up with a few less HD channels, but will save several dollars more than I am now paying for phone internet and TV combined..

Fios is OK as long as they keep letting you resubscribe under new promos every couple of years. Otherwise, after all the monthly discounts for programming and receivers ends, the price really escalates. Their DVR is OK, but the 722 is better without question afaic and has a better interface afaic. Fios PQ is most excellent here in FL.

I think this may be the best option for HD Absolute subs. You get many channels like NatGeo, Science in the 2nd pack. Then you get channels like HDNet w/o having to pay for platinum. I got it for my friend who has Absolute, but is not good with computers. She got it, question is how to get it back for me.

I browsed the DIRECTV MAS site and had to select $5 off in order for the extra $ off. I got a pop-up. Then I went to:
Costco.com: No One Offers Better HD Than DIRECTV
Select a package.
DIRECTV: Referral Program in the same browser. Enter an ID. I used 44375412

Your Programming Selection, Special Offers & Services

paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Any cancellation grace period if I order? what I like is you don't need to sub to250 to get NatGeO and Science HD. Choice Extra seems pretty on-par with Absolute. Plus, one gets FX HD, MTV HD, VH1 HD and more. Question is how I do it again?

I had a Direct install on 1/13, got the choice xtra pack, one hd dvr (hr24-500) and one hd box (think it's an hr24), with the whole house service (geez, my mind wants to type "whor* house service"....), anyway my bill will average $53 per month (rounded up, no taxes included) for 24 months with Direct. The offer I got from Dish when I got the call (I was Absolute with one 622) was what they offered in the letter, ie., $10 off for 12 months, Platinum free for a year, etc.
I would have wanted at200 (and would still be missing Nat Geo), this would have cost $60 month (prices effective 2/1) + dvr fee, so even if I could wrangle a $15 off the cost of at200 for a year, my monthly bill would be $52, that is $45 for at200 + dvr fee (rounded up, tax not included). I'll revisit the issue when my Direct contract is up and see what's available then. It's tough to say goodbye to a cheap pay tv package.

Since changing our home service, we no longer have Caller-ID, so I don't know if Dish has called. They don't leave messages if they have called, that I do know... Anyway, I just changed my contact number(s) at Dish's "My Account" website and put my cellphone as the 1st number. I wonder how long it will take for them to call that number ?

Fios is OK as long as they keep letting you resubscribe under new promos every couple of years. Otherwise, after all the monthly discounts for programming and receivers ends, the price really escalates. Their DVR is OK, but the 722 is better without question afaic and has a better interface afaic. Fios PQ is most excellent here in FL.

Yes, I agree with your reply.

Fios TV has great picture quality here in Southern California too, and they offer good program packages. The 722’s are superior to the Fios Motorola DVR’s currently offered, but I could hook up a new TiVo Premiere that is even better in many ways.

I can always change providers when the promos expire if I can’t take advantage of something available to re-subscribe with down the road.:D:D:D

Mr Zulu said:
Why is it that some people act bitter about other people making choices other than DishNetwork?

I think they must be employed by Charlie or something. I find it odd myself.

I guess they are mad that others are choosing more HD for a better price as well as fewer disputes between Dish and... well every company that does business with Dish.

Yes, I agree with your reply.

Fios TV has great picture quality here in Southern California too, and they offer good program packages. The 722’s are superior to the Fios Motorola DVR’s currently offered, but I could hook up a new TiVo Premiere that is even better in many ways.

I can always change providers when the promos expire if I can’t take advantage of something available to re-subscribe with down the road.:D:D:D

If only there was FIOS where I live.

I ordered this today: Amazon.com: CLEARSTREAM5 HDtv Antenna: Electronics

Savings of ~$40/month, so the ROI isn't bad.

I was an original voom customer and I really hate to go but the good deal on hd absolute was really the only thing keeping me around.

I looked around and as far as sat. goes I still think dish is the way to go, but as someone that has been on since voom, it has just been one disappointment after another, more and more voom channels dropped (not dish's fault), loss of dvr functionality because of tivo lawsuit (dish still has second best dvr imo)...then the squeeze being put on absolute customers not giving them added hd channels...

it was a good run for sure, no reason for people to start huffing and puffing about it

I have a feeling streaming will make quite a bit of progress in 2011 but we will see...

I ordered this today: Amazon.com: CLEARSTREAM5 HDtv Antenna: Electronics

Savings of ~$40/month, so the ROI isn't bad.

I was an original voom customer and I really hate to go but the good deal on hd absolute was really the only thing keeping me around.

I looked around and as far as sat. goes I still think dish is the way to go, but as someone that has been on since voom, it has just been one disappointment after another, more and more voom channels dropped (not dish's fault), loss of dvr functionality because of tivo lawsuit (dish still has second best dvr imo)...then the squeeze being put on absolute customers not giving them added hd channels...

it was a good run for sure, no reason for people to start huffing and puffing about it

I have a feeling streaming will make quite a bit of progress in 2011 but we will see...

What loss of DVR functionality??

Does anyone else here think that it's so totally jacked up that we can't even figure out what channels are in what package and the 'charts are wrong' and all that.
It's a total clusterF

How am I supposed to compare packages and choose if the information is wrong, missing, ambiguous....?

I guess I'm just frustrated cause I've been on absolute a long long time and I don't even know what the other packages consist of completely.

bgsmallwood said:
Does anyone else here think that it's so totally jacked up that we can't even figure out what channels are in what package and the 'charts are wrong' and all that.
It's a total clusterF

How am I supposed to compare packages and choose if the information is wrong, missing, ambiguous....?

I guess I'm just frustrated cause I've been on absolute a long long time and I don't even know what the other packages consist of completely.

Amen to that! Maybe one of the dish reps here can please point us to an official page that actually has accurate lineups for each package?

I think they must be employed by Charlie or something. I find it odd myself.

I guess they are mad that others are choosing more HD for a better price as well as fewer disputes between Dish and... well every company that does business with Dish.

I don't know. If Dishnetwork wasn't so greedy and put Natgeo and Science in lower packs I would probably stay. Right now D* seems like the best deal, even though I hate their UI / Receivers. If I can get that exploit I posted about working 4 me then I will probably do that. Choice Extra seems the closest to Absolute.

Amen to that! Maybe one of the dish reps here can please point us to an official page that actually has accurate lineups for each package?

They probably just direct you to the same links on their site. That's been the problem with E*, too many packages and they don't keep the website up to date. It can take some time before their site is updated with the new information and even then, it's not always correct.

If Dishnetwork wasn't so greedy and put Natgeo and Science in lower packs I would probably stay.

Two of the best channels in Absolute IMHO…I just can’t justify having to pay so much to keep Natgeo and Science with Dish. I can get a much better deal switching over to a bundled package with Verizon Fios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts